Best beach machine.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most any machine does fine up in the dry sand. But l want to know which machines work well down in the wet sand? I am only talking VLF machines. And also dont want an 8 pound water machine. I know some of the Whites have beach mode, but want to hear from some experience. Also, I know the ctx will work great but lets stay under $1000.00. Thanks.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher- Cz-5,6a(water resistant),70 Pro,3D are dual freq machines. Minelab- Safari, Explorers, Etrac, Sovereigns are mult-freq machines that work great on wet sand. Personally I like a full blown waterproof machine anywhere near the beach, because eventually the salt air will kill the electronics inside. The 8" coil CZ-21 hip mounted is lightweight or the Dual Field(I know you said VLF only, but the DF is an awesome machine, that I've found easy to learn how to not dig MOST iron)

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is I only go to the beach about 2 weeks a year and cant see putting $1,000+ in a machine to only be used a few times a year. I have had some cz machines and although they were deep....I did not like their ergonomics. Thought they were heavy, awkward and unbalanced. Is their no lightweight machines that well run smooth in wet sand at a reasonable price?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The thing is I only go to the beach about 2 weeks a year and cant see putting $1,000+ in a machine to only be used a few times a year. I have had some cz machines and although they were deep....I did not like their ergonomics. Thought they were heavy, awkward and unbalanced. Is their no lightweight machines that well run smooth in wet sand at a reasonable price?

No, there are none. Multi-frequency or Pulse Induction only.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I like a full blown waterproof machine anywhere near the beach, because eventually the salt air will kill the electronics inside.
That is the reason that when i see a used detector water or inland used for sale from someone that lives near salt water i will not buy it … I will not touch even a full blown waterproof detector from some one that lives near salt water..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger ,, The Whites Beach Hunter 300 is under $1000.00 and a dual Freq…… th.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keppy,

I am thinking of BHID to add to my "collection". What is your opinion? Anyone use the machine?

Regards,

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best value wet saltwater and sand machine out there today is the pulse induction Tesoro Sand Shark - period. $600.00 brand new with a lifetime warranty. Mine has found over $4,000.00 (melt) in gold jewelry since 2010.

Attachments

• gold cache 002.jpg
    gold cache 002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 198
  • summer2011.jpg
    summer2011.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG00872-20120625-0728.jpg
    IMG00872-20120625-0728.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 179
  • stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 193

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right about the Sand Shark. It's a bargain even it you only get to the beach twice a year. Sand Shark.gif

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The best value wet saltwater and sand machine out there today is the pulse induction Tesoro Sand Shark - period. $600.00 brand new with a lifetime warranty. Mine has found over $4,000.00 (melt) in gold jewelry since 2010.
Yes i have to agree with Terry here also ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another option is the Nokta Fors CoRe, it has a beach program that works good ( I tested it and my hunting partner who built and runs Kellyco Minelab repair center also tested it at beach and got same good results and it is a good land detector, it is about a $1000.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize u could buy a pulse machine new for $600. I was thinking $2500 for ATX or more. Thanks Terry...I will be taking a look at the Sand Shark.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May you find many pots of gold!

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have an Excalibur II, and I would say if you want a damn good multi frequency VLF machine for the wet/water, get a used Excalibur for under $1000. You would want to make sure its in fine working order however with no issues.

Now, if you are open to PI machines, then I agree with Terry and others, the Sand Shark is a fantastic deal, best warranty in the business, and I hear nothing but good things about them. You won't be able to discriminate like an Excal, and so you will be digging some small iron. On the beaches I hunt, in South florida, I don't think that would be a big deal, as I have checked the nulls of my Excal before and it wouldn't add greatly to the digs, I typically hunt with no to very little discrimination anyways.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The Sand Shark is a work horse. It takes a beating. Dosent drain batteries down fast. Easy to swing with the 8" coil setup. I have used one for over 2 yrs. And yes it searches deep. You'll get nickels deeper then 18". The Sand Shark works great at the beach and inland. Wait did I mention it goes underwater? Its a great machine.

sent from a sending device.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I'M GOING TO NITPICK, split hairs:

I own a Seahunter Mark II, I own a CZ-70 the near twin of a CZ3D, a Minelab Sovereign, and I've owned a Surfmaster PI. Whites traded me straight across for a lightweight land coil, I got rid of he weighted one. Mine sounded like a mine detector, it clicked. Of the aforementioned I found the Surfmaster PI the lightest, a better discriminator over the Garrett SH M2, and the best and the easiest to use of the PI's.. The Whites DF is almost (but not quite) as good. Side-by-side I have compared a Sand Shark against those PI's, and I found it inferior in depth on SALT/BLACK SAND beaches. The Garrett Sea Hunter M2 gets the best depth of all, even with its standard coil. Of all the above none are as {in}ferior as a DetectorPro PI though. When used in notch out and only SOUND DISCRIMINATION, the CZ almost but not quite matches the depth of a Seahunter M II. Neither of them do well on tiny gold, but of course the CZ has superior discrimination. Of the lot, my choice would be one of the Whites PI's for superior operation in harsh soils including salt beaches, with a CZ best as a salt beach 2 frequency vlf discriminator - and with good depth in high salt/high black sand. I wish I still had my Surfmaster Pro, it cancelled tinfoil very well but still found small gold simultaneously.

Last edited:

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry is right about the Sand Shark. It's a bargain even it you only get to the beach twice a year. View attachment 1104482

Doesn't anyone use these in a park? I mean couldn't you use say the tiger shark on both, park/wet sand? I'd like to go from the fresh water swimming area right to the picnic area.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tiger Shark being a single frequency machine will not do well in wet sand or surf. It should do fine on land or fresh water though. I will be ordering a Sand Shark shortly. It will probably only be used about 2 weeks a year....but they say "you gotta pay to play". And it is a bargain at $577.00 brand new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread