Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
Tonight I put my pinpointers to a head to head air test. I used a modern nickel as the target. I placed the nickel on a neutral surface and tested each pin pin pointer for the longest target indication.

Garrett Propointer 2"
Vibra-Quatic2 2"
Whites TRX (1) 4.5"
Whites TRX (2) 5"

I have no particular brand loyalty when it comes to pinpointers. There are things about all of these I like and dislike. I have listed them below.

Whites TRX: $160
Pros: adjustable sensitivity, very powerful, can use both AA and 9volt batteries.
It also has a dead section just above the tip which really helps locating small objects in the side wall of the hole.
Cons: ground balance is lost on occasion and is fixed by pressing the power button once. Not waterproof.

Garrett Propointer: $120
Pros: tough, has digging edge and a great light. It will not come on in the holster which is good. I have used this one for several years.
Cons: does not have great depth in comparison to the TRX. It false beeps sometimes when the tip touches the ground and gets any pressure applied to it while swiping though the dirt in the hole. (I had this repaired and have had no trouble with this since) I is not waterproof but I understand it's new replacement is. I will try the new one out as soon as I can find one.

Vibra-Aquatic2: $150
Pros: great for diving, lights and vibrated,
Cons: I don't like the way you have got to invert it to turn it on and off (no switch). Big and heavy, very short range , requires motion to signal a target.

I use the TRX the most now and the Propointer as a second back up (got another TRX as a first back up) . I very seldom use the Vibra-Quatic 2 unless I'm diving or in a deep creek. It was a gift and it serves it's purpose pretty well.
Hope this was helpful and HH. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423022943.197084.jpg

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Garrett Pro pointer AT....will be waterproof...has 3 sense settings and orange with a security loop!!! cant wait!!

OP
OP
Digging Deeper

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
I'm gonna get one as soon as I can find one.

markkeele

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
new salisbury
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro and whites dfx spectrum e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had three different propointers, and all have been awful, and the customer service was not at all good, I had the first one three months and the switch went bad, the other two have had falsing issues, I have had to pay shipping to send them back and its been less than a year since the original purchase, I was told by customer service the last time I spoke to them about the problem that maybe I was being to picky, will never buy another Garrett product,

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had three different propointers, and all have been awful, and the customer service was not at all good, I had the first one three months and the switch went bad, the other two have had falsing issues, I have had to pay shipping to send them back and its been less than a year since the original purchase, I was told by customer service the last time I spoke to them about the problem that maybe I was being to picky, will never buy another Garrett product,

The funny thing is there are people with the same experience and they still swear the Garrett is the best there is. I have bought the new one after swearing off garretts and it seems to work good but not as deep as the whites and Ive grown to like the whites the best for sensing only at the tip.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my Garrett and bought the White's just to try the new kid on the block. So far I don't regret it. Longevity is the name of the game...We shall see.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
The funny thing is there are people with the same experience and they still swear the Garrett is the best there is. I have bought the new one after swearing off garretts and it seems to work good but not as deep as the whites and Ive grown to like the whites the best for sensing only at the tip.

There's your answer.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Cons: I don't like the way you have got to invert it to turn it on and off (no switch). Big and heavy, very short range , requires motion to signal a target.

That would be very unpractical, these things really need a switch. It's also too big to conceal.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For comparison purposes: On a nickel, at greatest sensitivity, I have the following:

Makro Pointer: 2"

ML Pro-Find: 2"

Vibra-Probe 570: 1.5"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread