JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well got the deus friday from the Man in brown and took it out this weekend. First the obvious bonuses. It is Light for sure, And I found the depth indicator to be better than I was thinking it was going to be. Seems to Pinpoint real well compared to the CTX. Not that the CTX was bad but I have a habbit of being slightly off center with the ctx when it comes to pinpointing. Seemed Like all the Deus pinpoints were right on center.

Sunday I carried both machines comparing signals so I could get used to the deus and know what I was digging.

But now for the bad, Saturday I did find a 52 Rosie as the my first coin!! Score!, But after that I found myself missing the CTX on just about everything except for weight. The tones and sounds of the Deus are not appealing to me at all, I really like the sounds the minelabs make and I find I can swing the CTX all day with out being driven crazy. Also I now know what folks mean when they say the Deus is a bottle cap hunting machine. In the 30 minutes of Solo Deus usage I think I dug 30 bottle tops, I ended up going back and getting the CTX. Another big thing I noticed was the deeper the target the ID value drastically got way off. I had pull tabs ring up at 7" of solid 95's As I was impressed with the depth for a little coil where at 3 inches they would ring in near 70 for most. Did this 7 or 8 times. Seems like the CTX is real accurate on the CO down deep, the FE's will change but the CO's stay stable.

I know it is hard to compare on a level playing field since I am so familiar with the CTX but so far For the Areas that I hunt most of the time the CTX is holding first place in my book easily. More time with the Deus may change my mind but not yet, It has a long way to go to catch up in my book.

Just thought I would Post up My opinions and observations.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an interesting real world comparison. I too, prefer the tones of the CTX over the Deus. Concerning the Deus, can you turn up the discrimination a notch or two, to put a scratchy edge tone on bottle caps?
Best of luck!

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Admittedly I don't know yet since I am so new to it. I hear there is a wiggle method to help determine if it is a bottle cap. I will do a little research and see if I can get it figured out and post updates :)

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites V3i and a trick to check bottle caps is to raise the coil. As the coil gets higher the items VDI drops off. It starts about like a quarter then after about 2 inches it's an pull tab level signal. This may or may not work on other machines. However.... Anytime I start filtering signals I think losing stuff. I was hunting and got a penny signal and was going to leave it. I ended up digging it and found a cheap ring.... That is worth maybe $0.25.... :)

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack,

It takes time to learn the Deus. In the beginning I had the same issues as you are but then when the light goes off in your head and you know what the sounds are telling you the whole world opens up. If your lucky enough to find an area to hunt where there is a lot of good targets that light will turn on sooner. I was lucky enough to hit a school yard with mine that I don't think had been hunted in many years cause the amount of clad and jewelry I found was amazing. The Deus is a sound machine. what helped me with bottle caps was when I turned the disc down to say 6.2 and the iron volume at around 1 it allowed the junky sound of the cap to come through and I knew it was junk where coins and good targets just sounded clear. When I would back the coil off and got to the edge of the top of the coil, bottle caps would get this scratchy sound where coins would just drop off if you know what I mean. You can try my park program might work good for you.

Disc 6.0
5 tones
sens 90
TX 1
Freq 11.8
Iron vol 1
Reac 3
Sil 1
AR 4
GB Tracking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread