How many of you had a faulty pinpointer?

How many of you have had a faulty:

• Total voters

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Then why did you bother posting on a "has your pinpointer busted" thread. I don't care how long you've been at this and you used to swing a BFO and you can pinpoint with the best of 'em....
Pinponters save time and scratches.
Back to the thread.
I have two propointers. The first one's on/off button broke in the on position. This happened at 22 months so I sent it in and they fixed it. During it's trip, I bought another one as, imo, a pinpointer is a must have. The second one I bought is now falsing badly and it is 26 months old.(2 year warranty) The first one's replaced on/off button is now broke in the off position.
I was thinking of getting a carrot, but now I'm thinking about another brand since, I agree, these propointers don't last.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why did you bother posting on a "has your pinpointer busted" thread. I don't care how long you've been at this and you used to swing a BFO and you can pinpoint with the best of 'em....
Pinponters save time and scratches.
Back to the thread.
I have two propointers. The first one's on/off button broke in the on position. This happened at 22 months so I sent it in and they fixed it. During it's trip, I bought another one as, imo, a pinpointer is a must have. The second one I bought is now falsing badly and it is 26 months old.(2 year warranty) The first one's replaced on/off button is now broke in the off position.
I was thinking of getting a carrot, but now I'm thinking about another brand since, I agree, these propointers don't last.

I tried the carrot after 2 propointers and now it's broke. I very had zero problems with the minelab or the whites.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only used the Deteknix X-pointer and have had no problems. Love it!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
how long have u had it tho? all pp start off great

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I am dead serious, I have absolutely no use for a pinpointer save for finding a nail hidden under layers of paint on a wall or floor, or a ceiling. I built metal detectors, one of the main brands used today, some of those that people are using right now and on this forum. I worked in the engineering of metal detectors, re-engineering of metal detectors too, repairing metal detectors, and I own at least 25 of them this very moment. I built my first one in 1972. I have not used an electronic pinpointer in my entire life to locate a metal detecting target because I don't need to, but I own 3 pinpointers sent to me from a metal detector package purchase. We at the Department of Defense where I worked as a Nuclear Electronics Techincian for the Feds, when locating failed DOA Mark 48 Nuclear Torpedoes at the bottom of the bay at 100-200 feet - didn't need pinpointers either. To me I find it rather odd that anyone would ever need one in this hobby at all, and I've been doing this hobby for the last 43 years. My purpose here is to point out that a person can locate a target (without) a pinpointer, if he learns how.. I know how, and some others of us do too.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I am dead serious, I have absolutely no use for a pinpointer save for finding a nail hidden under layers of paint on a wall or floor, or a ceiling. I built metal detectors, one of the main brands used today, some of those that people are using right now and on this forum. I worked in the engineering of metal detectors, re-engineering of metal detectors too, repairing metal detectors, and I own at least 25 of them this very moment. I built my first one in 1972. I have not used an electronic pinpointer in my entire life to locate a metal detecting target because I don't need to, but I own 3 pinpointers sent to me from a metal detector package purchase. We at the Department of Defense where I worked as a Nuclear Electronics Techincian for the Feds, when locating failed DOA Mark 48 Nuclear Torpedoes at the bottom of the bay at 100-200 feet - didn't need pinpointers either. To me I find it rather odd that anyone would ever need one in this hobby at all, and I've been doing this hobby for the last 43 years.

So I take that as a no you have not had a faulty pinpointer.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Not true dirtscratcher, I did have one but I repaired it, and all that was wrong was a bad resistor - only 25 cents.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It was one of those from the people who sell more metal detectors in the world than anyone else, and it was made in China. However I found it to have more depth than some of the above other mentioned, but of course I tweaked it a bit too.. something that is easy, but tougher to do on a more expensive one. The cheapies aren't very complicated at all. When I got it back together it worked fine for locating a .40 cal bullet lodged about 4" deep buried in a deck - with several different layers of deck coverings on it too.

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went many years without an electronic pinpointer because they did not exist...But honestly, I found that sometimes I scratched a nice coin...It was rare but it happened...One question...Who first made the first electronic pinpointer and in what year? Just curious....Anyone know?

mudfoot

May 8, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax, Compadre
The button on my 2 month old carrot got stuck last week so it's being shipped for repairs.

My old black propointer is still working and I'm glad I kept it for a backup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread