Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the MX-5 which is very similar to the Coinmaster GT. I had the ATPro for a few months. Right off the bat the GT and MX-5 have better balance than the ATP. Depth and recovery speed is all about a toss up between the three. If you ever hunt any iron infested sites I would consider the MXT-5 just for the 2 Tone audio, and the threshold over the Coinmaster GT which has a silent search in disc mode.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
GT is lighter and current cost hovers about $359 GT, $595 AT Pro
GT is listed as "weather resistant' which is very vague. AT is waterproof to 10 feet.
The AT will collapse to a shorter length.
Both come from first rate companies.
Both have auto ground balance.
Altho the price difference is large, the AT is still a lot of machine for the money. Its 10 foot waterproof depth opens up beach hunting and wading to you. This not only saves you the expense of a second water detector, which you are unlikely to find for the price difference between them, but the AT has all the extras of a first rate land detector, including ID. Many water detectors have little to no ID capabilities,
There are not many detectors in the price category of the AT that are so versatile, so even though it costs $600, its far cheaper than two equally good detectors that are more narrowly useful..

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 things about the GT that I like a LOT.
First let me say I never use any discrimination unless I am just cherry picking..
The GT as 9 tones with Tone ID on. Once you use it for about 30 hours you will know what you are going to dig without even looking at the VDI.
VCO pinpoint or VCO in all Metal mode.
I have not really had a chance to test this out but it has beach mode which I believe add Salt to the Ground Balance so you can hunt the Wet sand at a Salt beach, something the water proof ATPdoes not do well from what I have read.

The ATP has a DD coil, the GT does not, and the only other choice is a 4x6 shooter, so coil choice is non existent with the GT.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CoinGT-The 9 tones drove me nuts. May just as well use VCO. It is pretty deep detecting if that is your thing. Tired my arm out in less than an hour, but if you're young, you may not have that problem. I like a bigger screen over what the GT supports with it's cramped info. But you may have better eye's than me. If tone ID is what you seek to learn, Tesoro has that area pegged better than anyone, IMO. Analog is much better for tone ID than digital. Digital is better for screen info than analog.

Just my experience.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you chose the ATpro, which i advise, you are going to want the 5x8 coil. It should be stock coil on this machine. I love this coil...iit makes the pro swing like a Tesoro. Seperates great and gets good depth for its size. I think if you want tot compare a whites machine you better look at the MX5 or MXT pro....

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the At pro and would like a comparison with the Coinmaster Gt.... which is better, depth, recovery time, etc... I understand that the coinmaster gt is about 200$ cheaper but it may be better for me....
Any help would be appreciated

I believe the AT Pro is in another league all together. If you are planning to grow into a detector, get the Garrett. If you want a basic machine that is easy to use, go with the White's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread