Makro Racer vs Nokta Fors Core

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill go get my popcorn, all the reviews I've seen say they are almost identical in performance. Would love to hear from actual experience in the field myself too.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Figure out which handle and control design you like to use. Other than that very minor differences. The DI3 mode on the Racer is probably a little hotter.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the overload issue on the Racer.....does the Core have that issue also?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much the same behavior and abilities. Slightly different frequencies and therefore different coils. Personally I think the overload thing is being overblown. I only thought that after using the Racer. To me it just isn't a big problem. I can raise a coil a couple of inches or just run with the Gain down a bit and not lose much depth. The way these machines mix the audio is pretty cool. Not just a low or high tone but a blending to let the operator make the call. The small coil is the killer in heavy trash like old homes and ghost towns. The Fors Pro pack is a heck of a deal since you get 3 coils versus the Pro pack Racer gets you 2 coils. Either way both are bargains. In my mind it comes down to which machine you might prefer for the ergonomics, or if you really need the big coil then the Fors is a probably a better deal. But like someone said, big coils are for finding big stuff. Probably a relic hunt would be the ticket for that big coil. I think some may have been used in the digging Virginia hunt this year but I haven't seen any feedback. There are reports they work great in the nasty coil in that area. My soil typically comes out around 80 on the Racer or even when I had my Gold Bug Pro. All this said I am still learning mine and only have about 10 hours on it. But I like it a lot.

Just for reference I have owned a V3i, Etrac, CTX3030 and Deus. I've been up and down the features and prices of detectors and am really just trying to find something light, simple and effective. I think the Racer just might finally fill that slot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much the same behavior and abilities. Slightly different frequencies and therefore different coils. Personally I think the overload thing is being overblown. I only thought that after using the Racer. To me it just isn't a big problem. I can raise a coil a couple of inches or just run with the Gain down a bit and not lose much depth. The way these machines mix the audio is pretty cool. Not just a low or high tone but a blending to let the operator make the call. The small coil is the killer in heavy trash like old homes and ghost towns. The Fors Pro pack is a heck of a deal since you get 3 coils versus the Pro pack Racer gets you 2 coils. Either way both are bargains. In my mind it comes down to which machine you might prefer for the ergonomics, or if you really need the big coil then the Fors is a probably a better deal. But like someone said, big coils are for finding big stuff. Probably a relic hunt would be the ticket for that big coil. I think some may have been used in the digging Virginia hunt this year but I haven't seen any feedback. There are reports they work great in the nasty coil in that area. My soil typically comes out around 80 on the Racer or even when I had my Gold Bug Pro. All this said I am still learning mine and only have about 10 hours on it. But I like it a lot.

Just for reference I have owned a V3i, Etrac, CTX3030 and Deus. I've been up and down the features and prices of detectors and am really just trying to find something light, simple and effective. I think the Racer just might finally fill that slot.

You didnt care for the Deus.....like the Racer better???

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No small coil for the Deus. None coming either as far as I can tell. I need one for the trash I get into. If they eventually do would probably cost over $300 so again for the end game the Racer gets the jobs done (primary reason) and as a bonus a lot more economically.

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as performance they are about the same. I have both the Racer and the Fors Core and the big difference to me is the ergonomics. The Fors CoRe with the 11 x 7 is so much better balanced and swinging is a breeze.....not as great on the Racer. I keep the 4.7 x 5" coil mounted on the Racer full time. If I want to hunt more open less trash areas then I grab the CoRe with the 11 x 7. I originally ordered a Racer and then in a trade deal I ended up with a new standard package Fors CoRe. After using the 11 x 7 on the Racer and then using the Core with a 11 x 7 coil.......it was night and day difference. Also the 11 x 7 Fors coil, the rod attaches in the center of the coil and the Racer 11 x 7 coil mounts more towards the rear and doesn't balance as good. And I think the grip on the CoRe is better. I feel the grip on the Racer is a little too vertical and could be relaxed a bit. Anyhow the 11 x 7 on the Racer is not the end of the world, still swings ok, but once you try a CoRe you really notice the difference.

And i agree with Tabwhisper, the overload is getting blown outta proportion. Both machines are hot and default settings work great. I think a lot are running the sens/gain up towards the max.....and yep.....getting overloads. On the Racer and especially with the small coil, I turn the gain down a bit. In real trashy areas depth isn't really a concern.
Anyhow my 2 cents.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the Racer weigh with the large coil? Small coil???
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread