what is the best machine for knocking out electrical interference

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very please with my F75 LTD SE which was upgraded in Feb 2015. It is very quiet now. I must admit I am not experienced with many brands. My older White's Classic ID also does well in ef areas.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the various quality of components this would be impossible to pick one brand or model.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends. I have had detectors go bonkers next to power lines and while others were quiet. Still others that went nuts near cell antennas (or cell phones) while other ones stayed silent. You just don't know. Too many variables with frequencies, power levels and machine sensitivities to them.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Plain and simple, any machine with off-set frequencies will do the job.

Minelab Explorers can choose between 10 off-set frequencies, I can always keep mine quiet this way. I would say any FBS machine's the same.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very please with my F75 LTD SE which was upgraded in Feb 2015. It is very quiet now. I must admit I am not experienced with many brands. My older White's Classic ID also does well in ef areas.

Once again, you hit the nail on the head. A detection field is ElectroMagnetic. So how can it really be immune to EM from an outside source? The F75 was prone to EMI due to it's increased depth sensitivity. A rule of thumb would be to eliminate EMI, either turn down the sensitivity (resulting in decreased depth) or get a unit that doesn't have an increased EM field. Fisher solved their EMI problem with the latest software upgrade to not be influenced as much with EMI while maintaining excellent depth. Once they figured it out, they offered the upgrade to past users, a gallant move by them. Has any other company done this? Or do they "let sleeping dogs lie" and what you get is the old design, good or not?

While most detector companies are great in customer service, Fisher/Tek seems to have went one step further, updating previous units to newly engineered specs.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt in urban environment with plenty of EMI. My X-terra 705 has never experienced EMI that it couldn't shift freq. to clear it up. Have never had a problem.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically, there is no constant, and various frequencies don't matter much in most cases although they can influence somewhat, because EMF is (inducted) into a circuit or field, so it is not always frequency selective. The best of the lot would be well-shielded to stop the induction, no matter if the frequency is 3 Khz or 75 Khz.

In short, most EMF, RF, or any other force can be inducted into or absorbed into and hopped into or onto any wave form of (almost) any style such as a "clipped", or square, or sine, or switching waveform circuit. "Interference" is not prejudiced, it fits in wherever it wants to, and unless regulated it doesn't care where either. Here is a (simple yet somewhat) example of how it works; this is induction-fed, and the EMF jumps on board from a voltage range of 70-1000V AC (that's a wide range, isn't it?). Non-Contact Voltage Tester ... There are some places where we will get interference no matter which detector we use, or how much it costs. And in the case of the non-contact induction voltage detector here, if it were better shielded it could not get an induced signal. This device is NOT well-shielded and that is why it works, and especially works over such a wide range. tester.jpg

Last edited:

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Xterra 505, I too have always been able to eliminate interference when encountered by shifting the frequency a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions