Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. The F2 is considered one of the best beginner machines. But consider this. The QDP detects 2 inches deeper, has as fast a recovery rate, uses one 9V battery instead of two, is slightly lighter, has volume control, a larger screen and I have seen it priced $25 less expensive than the F2. The QDP also comes stock with the 10" elliptical. Even with my NEL Sharpshooter on the F2, it cannot best the QDP in depth.

mycabellfamily

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Racine,WI
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be a great unit. Especially at the prices it's found at. You responded on a post of mine around this time last year and recommended this unit(QDP). I bought a Compadre which I will probably never get rid of. Love it. But I am considering picking up one of these QDPs. Reviews that I've seen have been pretty amazing. Seems to be a great machine and an even greater machine when considering the cost.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched the LRP prices before Christmas get down close to the QDP price. $228. For the extra $50 the LRP was well worth it. Just a dollar less than the F22.

I like the QDP, but the LRP is my choice 95% of the time.

I had a Compadre with the 5.75 coil and it was great in trashy areas and close to fences. When I got the F2 and the extra 4" coil, I let the Compadre go then.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It cost me $200 for my F2 and two coils.
Paid for itself more than 10 times over in clad, silver and gold it found.
Don't care about two extra inches in depth, which could be different in different soils, depth isn't everything and the F2 went plenty deep enough.
The BH sounds good, the Fisher language is very colorful and expressive and transfers over if you upgrade to higher level units which i did.
Absolutely no regrets hunting with the F2 and both coils for 3 years, the double coil package still has merit and worth even in these modern times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to beat the proven reliability of the F2. The QDP being a few inches deeper could mean the difference in more accurate ID on shallower coins. With the $17 screw on to plug in adapter now available, the QDP opens up to using all Tek Greek coil offerings. A definite plus in my book.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In 2010 when I went for my entry level guest/backup/take on vacation detector the choice was much easier.
You had the Aces, the F2 and the lower end Tesoros and that was about it...most everything else wasn't worth looking at.
Now you still have all those plus the new generation BH units, the new low end Fishers, the Euro Teks and more coming out all the time.
Not an easy choice but they all seem to work pretty good so no bad choices if you pick one and learn it well.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 2010 when I went for my entry level guest/backup/take on vacation detector the choice was much easier.
You had the Aces, the F2 and the lower end Tesoros and that was about it...most everything else wasn't worth looking at.
Now you still have all those plus the new generation BH units, the new low end Fishers, the Euro Teks and more coming out all the time.
Not an easy choice but they all seem to work pretty good so no bad choices if you pick one and learn it well.

Companies are learning that there is more money in the sub $500 range than above it. This could be from the many who want to get their feet wet in the hobby. I've always thought that once you go above $1000, it's more about bragging rights. I see much more used expensive detectors for sale than sub $500 ones. No one wants to spend twice the money and only get a 10% improvement. VLFs are hitting their max capabilities, and companies are loading those capabilities into their less expensive offerings.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Its great to see how First Texas has made improvements through the years to the entry and mid level detectors. As First Texas acquired Fisher in May of 2006 among the first designs from the new Fisher was the F4/F2 line. A great deal and very good performance value at the time. Even today (ten years later) as you compare the F2 to any of the new crop from First Texas it still is in the running and I still wouldn't sell it short. but its great to see the sport taking off in performance values.

Skrimps

Feb 3, 2016
North Florida
Detector(s) used
LandRangerPro, Minelab GF40, Land or Sea Pinpointer, Truper Short Shovel, Harbor Freight Detector & Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F22 and Quickdraw pro seem to basically be the same machine?

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same performance. A few ergonomic and options differences.

Skrimps

Feb 3, 2016
North Florida
Detector(s) used
LandRangerPro, Minelab GF40, Land or Sea Pinpointer, Truper Short Shovel, Harbor Freight Detector & Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
No.
Slip a clear zip lock bag over the control head in wet conditions and that gives you some peace of mind in case you get caught in the rain.
I did that with my F2, still do it with my F70.
You never know but this weatherproofing might easily come on future BH units since FTP is a decently large company and sharing innovations across platforms is fairly easy for them.

The F22 and F44 have much more protection, for legal reasons they will never say waterproof and you should never assume they really are, but they did test these things in a dunk test underwater at a shallow depth for something like over an hour and they came through fine with no issues.
I would be comfortable hunting in shallow lakes and streams with either, (accidents do happen), and rain would never seem to be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F22 claims weatherproof, is the BH?

And the F22 is the only weatherproof detector out of all those in your PM to me. And IF being weatherproof (not waterproof as digger described), then to get ground balance as well as being able to get it wet, the F44 is a good way to go. The Whites Treasuremaster Pro is in the same price range, but I cannot vouch for it's performance.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to beat the proven reliability of the F2. The QDP being a few inches deeper could mean the difference in more accurate ID on shallower coins. With the $17 screw on to plug in adapter now available, the QDP opens up to using all Tek Greek coil offerings. A definite plus in my book.

2" is quite a difference when a 1/4" can mean silver in the pocket or not. And Greek coils is a huge bonus as I have gamma and et pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread