What to do ?

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I just returned my Delta 4000 because I preferred to have the screw on coil cord. They didn't have any . I'm looking at the white's coinmaster GT. The same delta 4000 but with a screw in cord or minelab 305. How would you compare these. Could some people who have owned one of these comment. I would like a price point below 350$.

Thanks, I can get the minelab 305 for 299$. The White's for 334$. The Delta for 279$. The Tesoro Cibola is another possibility for 362$. I used a fisher 1236-x2 so I have no problem with no visual display.

This old feller wants a new toy soon so help me make a choice. :laughing7:
I should add that I don't know how important ground balance function would be here in Kansas City.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are so many other choices for the money you plan to spend.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd opt for the Teknetics EuroTek Pro with the 11" DD coil. Or save yourself some money and get the F2 with the 2 coil package. In reality, as loco-digger said, you can't go wrong with many machines now a days.
Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I ask for a response to the detectors I mentioned. I was hoping for a response to those detectors. Euro Tec is not in my choices! F2 no thanks.

Thanks, Nice of you to respond!

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right, I apologize. Personally, I'd go for the Delta in a heartbeat. If warranty is important, the Cibola would be the clear winner.

Last edited:

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't buy the Coinmaster GT until you see the new Treasure Pro from White's.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned the CoinGT and a Xterra. The CoinGT was noisy and heavy for my liking, as also having too small a screen with all the cramped information. The Xterra coils are expensive, and the recovery rate is nothing like the newer options today.

Out of the 4 you mention, The Delta is still the best choice, but you can't go wrong with any Tesoro. Both get the same depth, so just figure if you want ultra light with sound or light with a visual indicator. Both have better recovery rates and good coil choices at reasonable pricing.

If you are wanting state of the art, the new Fisher F22 would be my choice, unless you want to spend more for a F44. For $349, the F44 appears to have it all.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned the CoinGT and a Xterra. The CoinGT was noisy and heavy for my liking, as also having too small a screen with all the cramped information. The Xterra coils are expensive, and the recovery rate is nothing like the newer options today.

Out of the 4 you mention, The Delta is still the best choice, but you can't go wrong with any Tesoro. Both get the same depth, so just figure if you want ultra light with sound or light with a visual indicator. Both have better recovery rates and good coil choices at reasonable pricing.

If you are wanting state of the art, the new Fisher F22 would be my choice, unless you want to spend more for a F44. For $349, the F44 appears to have it all.

Tesoro's can be hit & miss with depth. Some get great depth on the videos, some nowhere near that great depth. The lack of consistency is nothing new with Tesoro's. I and others have complained years ago about this problem. I think the Delta may be improved or discontinued in the next couple years, especially when the F22 comes out. Also, the ETP has so much more as far as usable features & the depth is just as good as the Delta I believe.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The Whites coils are a bit too heavy for the Coinmasters as regards to counter-balancing, so it makes the front end too cumbersome, heavy, and unwieldy. I own one. It does have a wider/deeper radiated field than the Delta 4000 though. However, I would not buy either one of them to use in high Fe, or Na soil, they will leave you wondering why you ever did such a foolish thing, to buy a detector without manual ground balance. BTW, all Tesoroes (except the Compadre) do better in bad ground or salt/magnetite/hematite beaches than either one of the two you mentioned...I've already matched them to find out.

The Tesoro Silver uMax does better too, even though it is (without) manual ground balance, and it's because it uses a nice, simple (tank?) circuit.

PS: I own the ETP and the only thing that impresses me about it is its signal/sound for iron, but that turns out to be a real mess when searching in gravel stream beds, because it is so noisy with way too many signals heard. It's top heavy too, and won't stay up when set down - if the ground is not smooth or flattish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
Wow! really helpful reply's. Any more thoughts on a Tesoro Cibola? I really don't believe manual ground balance will needed here in the K.C. Mo. area.

Feel like I'm going nuts trying to make a choice .:laughing7:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The Cibola is (very) smooth-operating, but you get that smooth-operation plus a lot more including more depth when you buy a Vaquero, it works very well and isn't as unstable or noisy as the Tejon around interference such as 60 cycles or hi-band or FM transmissions, or step-up or step-down transformers etc. It loves these items closest to 14 Khz best because of its 14 Khz freq. And now and then it even beats the Tejon in some areas. FreqvsCoin-4.jpg The Cortez and Deleon are not even in the same ball field when compared to a Fisher CZ3D though, I was really surprised at the difference in their depth capabilities and lack of discrimination capabilities when compared to the CZ line. I would not buy one of those two.. regardless of their price. The Vaquero is probably the best overall single frequency VLF metal detector made for under $500. It is very fond of fine silver and gold chains, as is the Cibola.

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I just returned my Delta 4000 because I preferred to have the screw on coil cord. They didn't have any . I'm looking at the white's coinmaster GT. The same delta 4000 but with a screw in cord or minelab 305. How would you compare these. Could some people who have owned one of these comment. I would like a price point below 350$.

Thanks, I can get the minelab 305 for 299$. The White's for 334$. The Delta for 279$. The Tesoro Cibola is another possibility for 362$. I used a fisher 1236-x2 so I have no problem with no visual display.

This old feller wants a new toy soon so help me make a choice. :laughing7:
I should add that I don't know how important ground balance function would be here in Kansas City.

Detector is half the tool. I would look into what coil options each brand has, that is very important. Another important thing is all metal mode. Cibola has it, but you have to hold the button, the coil choices are poor if your wanting big coils, but good if you want small coil use. GB is an internal trimmer-pot that will break if you keep adjusting.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of the 3 you are interested in, I would go with another Delta with the 11" DD, or get the stock Delta with round coil & maybe invest in a NEL Sharpshooter for it later. I know a freind who has a Coinmaster GT, it is a good machine, but it is too short for a taller person, kinda heavy & looks a bit low-tech (not that that really matters). I would much prefer the Delta.

OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I went ahead and ordered the delta 4000. I was able to get the screw in coil cable I wanted. Also got the package with the pin pointer. decided to get a Garret sheathed digging tool too.

I must say I was pleased to get all the help on this.

Thanks, Greg

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and ordered the delta 4000. I was able to get the screw in coil cable I wanted. Also got the package with the pin pointer. decided to get a Garret sheathed digging tool too.

I must say I was pleased to get all the help on this.

Thanks, Greg

Good deal Greg! You cannot go wrong with any Teknetics machine. Keep us posted on how you are liking the Delta.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola is (very) smooth-operating, but you get that smooth-operation plus a lot more including more depth when you buy a Vaquero, it works very well and isn't as unstable or noisy as the Tejon around interference such as 60 cycles or hi-band or FM transmissions, or step-up or step-down transformers etc. It loves these items closest to 14 Khz best because of its 14 Khz freq. And now and then it even beats the Tejon in some areas. View attachment 1170541 The Cortez and Deleon are not even in the same ball field when compared to a Fisher CZ3D though, I was really surprised at the difference in their depth capabilities and lack of discrimination capabilities when compared to the CZ line. I would not buy one of those two.. regardless of their price. The Vaquero is probably the best overall single frequency VLF metal detector made for under $500. It is very fond of fine silver and gold chains, as is the Cibola.

LL...can you give some context to the graphic you posted above? What makes those frequencies ideal, and where do they come from?

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The graph was put out by both Minelab and Tesoro if I remember correctly.. The reason they are ideal for different frequencies is because of their rate of decline or dissipation, or wave length or wave height, or ability to penetrate through different substances (i.e.metals). It works {something} like this: If you shine a flashlight into outer space, it eventually will dissipate to absolutely nothing, relatively speaking of course, but it has to pass through many different disturbances (interferences) just to go as far as it does, but of course I over-simplified this example just for practical understanding. Certain frequencies are of certain wavelengths or pulse rates, and some pass through substances faster and farther and even wider or more narrow, and some do not. All magnetic flux lines do the same, and so does "electricity", or current, but magnetism is not directional, it is multi-directional, save for any concentration as in a elecro-magnet when compared to a permanent magnet, although that is not very important as to this discussion. The same applies in electronics and electrical theories, although in electricity one looks at (current) as the presence of electrons moving along the least resistant path, and electronics views it as the absence of electrons (having left a hole) when passing through them, a void that needs to be replenished with another electron, but both can be viewed as either. Our metal detectors are designed with a certain frequency of operation partly because it is easier to create a circuit easier, better, and more accurate than another. But that is not a static foregone conclusion, because we can alter the frequency to fit different criteria as the rest of the circuitry requires it in order to accomplish our goals. In short, we can make a 10 kHz behave almost as well or the same as a 40 Khz radiation or 30 Khz. For example, it is not necessary to have several different operating search coils in order to create different frequencies, it can be done with just one search coil instead. However, there is one company that makes a whole lot of money selling different frequencies to people who don't have a clue as to there being no need for them all. So too, it is not always the best idea to use a metal detector with a rock solid frequency of operation or radiance because the search coil size and type is a much more important criteria as regards to how well it operates in the field. This is one of the reasons why Tesoro has such a much better overall success rate at 10 Khz over some other brands that uses 17 Khz or 3.5 Khz, it's all in the engineering, but the engineering is not a worthwhile discussion for an average metal detector enthusiast here, we just want to find stuff.

Last edited:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I can only say Fisher F44 $349 & White's Treasure Pro for $369 look impressive. Both rain resistant. At dealers any day now. The Fisher F44 in unmineralized ground detects a nickel at 13", has ground grab. The White's Treasure Pro offers ground tracking & depth reading to 10"+. Both take 2 AAs for 2 cents per hour operation. White's no more than 3lbs & Fisher 2.3 lbs. Best wishes, George (MN)

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
F44 has manual GB, a HUGE plus. It's lighter and the search coil doesn't weigh as much as the Whites either. The Fisher has a back light too, and a 5 yr warranty vs Whites 3 yr. Basically a blowout, and the Fisher circuitry is more modern too.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F44 has manual GB, a HUGE plus. It's lighter and the search coil doesn't weigh as much as the Whites either. The Fisher has a back light too, and a 5 yr warranty vs Whites 3 yr. Basically a blowout, and the Fisher circuitry is more modern too.

Yep, have to agree on all points, Larry!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions