Pinpointer needed: Garrett carrot, or Makro or???

Havillah

May 22, 2005
San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Money Hunter TR;
Garrett GTP-1350;
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear friends:

I am certainly learning a lot from all of you! Your collective knowledge and experience is priceless. Thanks to all!

My dealer added a pin-pointer for free in my Garrett AT Pro International metal detector purchase. Nice gesture on his part. However, it is basically a Chinese pizza (as in "pizza junk" :laughing7:). It will not sound at all, unless the tip is literally touching the metal.

I am looking at possible options. I know many are 100% for and others are 100% against the new Garrett carrot. I have also been looking at the Makro, which I have not found mentioned on these awesome forums.

Makro Pointer Waterproof Pinpointer | Shop | Features | Reviews | MetalDetector.com

I am open to suggestions. I am not loaded with money. (Have to locate it with my ATP first!) Most pin-pointers seem to be in the same price range. Hopefully I will not start a war with this topic. :laughing7:

Thanks in advance, and be blessed!

Steve, central Aztec Republic

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Garrett Carrot. One button control using only your thumb and you don't have to turn it on end to adjust like the Makro.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the carrot, you won't be sorry.:thumbsup: Garrett Carrot.PNG

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or if you don't plan on doing any water hunting, why not save a couple bucks and go with the original Garrett Pro Pointer?

DirtToad

Greenie
May 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of deals out there for the "carrot" and it can be had for around $125 I think. I bought it at full price and still have ZERO regrets. I'll admit it took me a couple of minutes to learn the settings and how to change them with the one button. However on the fly I can change them for different depths or to be silent quickly. I've had it for about a week and I did wrestle with the idea of the buying TRX beforehand. To look back I know I made the right choice for my style of hunting and the terrain I'm usually in.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have two of the Makro Pin-pointers here now, so long Garret dead pointers.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
im done buying garrett crap pp's the carrot seems ok but the 3 origional garret pp i bought all sucked because they broke so quickly whites trx is next . deeper than the garrett and waterproof also

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta (Makro) pinpointer, has ALMOST all of the (needed) features as the Garrett carrot.
Same price or better, so a little shopping should prove me out. Not too many videos
about the probe, but having to mess with TWO buttons than the one (Garrett), isn't enough
to write this new product off, just yet...!
See Bill Ladd's video on it

you can watch his review on the carrot, too

enjoy trying to decide...!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are great choices, they lead the pack of current pinpointers. The Garrett is simpler to use, and faster to turn on/off. But the Makro will equal its performance in good and bad soils. You can't go wrong with either one.... I have and use both. :)

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$_57.JPG Get The all new PI Xpointer from deteknix...it's AWESOME!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The carrot has turned into my favorite pin pointer-

Having said that, I've not owned a Makro, so I can't compare.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. The Garrett is thinner and lighter and easier to turn on/off. Nokta LED and vibrate functions can be turned off. Garrett can not. Had to add a shim inside battery compartment on Nokta so that battery would contact leads. Have had no problems with Garrett but have not had it as long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread