Back and About to Buy

jellygator

Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting ready to buy a new metal detector and if anyone's willing to share some advice, I'm all eyes!

It has been a long time since I regularly detected - 2002, to be exact! At the time, my ex and I were using Garrett GTI 1500 and 2500s. I don't think I ever quite got the hang of my machine, to be honest. I may have been trying to overthink things, over-adjust stuff, and looking in bad places that always somehow seemed to be in very salty or iron-laded areas like near railroad tracks because I either looked in Missouri for civil war relics or around the beaches when we went to the coast.

Today, I still have the 1500 but there's something wrong with it and I have not tried to send it in because it's so old. I'm preparing to buy a new machine, but I am wondering if I should downgrade to something that is more beginner oriented or not. I had about four or five hundred hours on the 1500, and I think I understand it pretty well, but man it was so full of false signals that it really started getting annoying! (Or else I was just. that. bad. on. it.)

Anyway, I'm looking for something that will be optimal for Kansas City areas, mostly coin shooting in parks and lake shores but some relic hunting, too.

Recommendations, please?

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Minelab Safari, I'm finding coins in really hunted out parks that others have missed over the years. There's not much to learn as far as setting it up but it take many hours to learn the sound if you never had a Minelab before. The Safari is good at finding coins on edge, maybe that's why you can find coins in hunted out parks. Just found a 1908 IH this weekend.... Take a look at them on YouTube, like this video hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jellygator

Sep 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Timelord.

I ended up finding an extensive thread on here that helped me make my decision before I saw your reply....and I actually bought two. Just hope I can use my new one better than the Garretts I had, and that my husband does well with this as a new hobby, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread