Garrett ATX vs Minelab GTX 5000. I like the Garrett!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
20 inches for big deep gold for the Garrett, and with the Minelab 23 inches for bigger gold? Heck the ATX looks better to me..

Lots of Minelabers and Garretters will have things to say in deference OR defensiveness, but that's alright, both Minelab folks and Garrett folks will have to battle it out, and they will. Personally, I really like the Garrett.. it's easier to operate, has fewer settings to deal with, a 20" coil as an option, finds fine gold easier and better, it's considerably less than half the price of the Minelab, and in many situations it even discriminates.

Garrett

A 3rd video too..

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucky you are right on there .. The ATX does look better and is easier to operate .. And you can not beat the price .. And i am always for easier .. As a matter of fact now at my age all i want is a turn on and hunt detector ..

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The ground balance on the Garrett - much easier, just set it and go - nothing so complicated that it nearly makes detecting a job - or a science project.. And I wouldn't have to do as in video #1 at 6:00, where he says about the Minelab, "go over here to improve the situation."

I was fairly content with the 1350 single freq Garrett, and especially the (very) old vlf/tr Deepseekers because the Deepseekers were uncommonly deep searching in all-metal , superb actually. But other than that, Garrett (and Tesoro too) have been stuck in the mud for awhile compared to FT and Whites (in my professional view), so this ATX is very interesting to me. It would make a great one to search the old logging camps and past removed railroad tracks that led into the old log camps. A friend of mine found 144 lbs of bare copper wire at one awhile back, and buried not laying on the ground.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry, dont you know if a machine costs twice as much that it is twice as good......everyone knows that!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Larry, dont you know if a machine costs twice as much that it is twice as good......everyone knows that!
Digger ....Now you know better than that .. I know you know.. How do i know ..I read your post's ...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we know that we know that we know that we know that. Personally, I think that even though the ATX is heavy, I don't give a rip, it is a winner. Also, if I can carry a 60 lb pack 10 miles up into the forest through the brush etc nearby, 6.9 pounds is a piece of cake.. Wonders-of-the-Forest-by-Rick-Faber.jpg 2313-6600-Sitka-Spruce-Oregon-Coast-Range.jpg yepOR.jpg yepp.jpg Green Oregon.jpg 1480699_646074628785377_438142776_n.jpg

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deal they have going on the 4800 since they brought it back makes it a little more competitive to the ATX....but i still like the ATX for its features, rugged build and waterproof!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't you guys know those videos are made by a garrett dealer. That was brought up like 3 years ago. Videoes show whatever you want them too. When the guys professionally hunting nuggets use the Minelabs that says,more than a dealer trying to sell a few detectors.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That may well be DS, but I don't pay any attention to dealers, I just look at the way the circuitry is designed and the possibilities of how they will work. I used to work building/redesigning Whites and correcting their flaws, but I'm not partial to them in any way. The Garrett is simply a better PI for a lot less money, even though it's heavier. One thing bothers me about these two more than anything else though, the Minelab has to be reprogrammed with a different setting or two for small gold, but the Garrett doesn't need that, it does fine with its only one setting like the video shows. The GPX does have 2-3" on the ATX in the video, but not when the big coil is put on the ATX. For the big difference in price I could almost open up a gold sales shop and buy/sell gold and make up the difference in cost of the two detectors in very short order. Well, maybe..

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think if I had either I wouldn't buy the other, I'd rather spend the extra $$ on a dirt bike

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread