Teknetics GAMMA 6000 or a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

Nov 22, 2015
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics GAMMA Metal Detector
The Teknetics Gamma Metal Detector is so simple to use that even an inexperienced person can conduct a professional level metal detection or treasure hunt. This static metal detector features a two-digit numerical target ID system that will guide you throughout the process. It has four different tones, 79 levels of adjustable discrimination, multiple notches, adjustable sensitivity, and an intuitive menu system that will assist in the usage. The Teknetics metal detector has several search modes and a system to maintain ground balance. This sensitivity metal detector also includes a battery level indicator, numerical depth readout, and running depth indicator, which give you all the necessary details to complete your search. It requires one 9V battery for operation (not included).
Features:

LCD Target Readout
Low Battery Indicator
Ground Grab
Preset Ground Balance
8" Open-Face Coil System
Numeric Depth Display
Progressive Discrimination
3-Tone Audio Discrimination
Air Test Depth: 11"
Sensitivity Adjustment

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

V-Break, Variable Tone Breakpoint - Pinpoint Mode with Depth Indicator - Discrimination, Motion, No Motion - Variable Notching - Ground Grab, Computerized Ground Balancing
Features:

Variable tone breakpoint, Pinpoint mode with depth indicator
Discrimination motion, no motion
Variable notching, Ground Grab - computerized ground balancing
Preset ground balance, Adjustable volume
Intuitive menu structure, Jumbo LCD display
4-Tone audio target ID system
Battery level indicator, Requires one 9V battery
11” DD Searchcoil
5 Year manufacturer limited warranty

I am a newbie to metal detecting and will be detecting in a 5 to 10 acre area with some history to it (civil war and Native American). Any help comparing these two models is appreciated!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Of the two I would choose the land Ranger pro. I have not used either machine tho. Based on he descriptions the pro seems like it has more features and is newer tech. Both machines are first Texas so there probably comparable performance. I have a bh it was my first machine and served me well. Now I runs whites flagship machine and love it so If it was doing it again I would likely get there treasure pro machine jmo

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my gamma for over a year now and its still my go to machine period.
Look at the machines I own and been at it since 93.
It's deep as all but my CZ's and separated better than any in trash,target I.D say 57 it will be a Nickle,59-60 a pull tab.
82-83 a dime 85 quarter,97-99 both ways a silver dollar.

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also several post on this and other sites,Walmart is selling the gamma 6000 for about $150.00 less than that they were.
$295.00 right now.You could buy a gamma and a nel sharpshooter and still save compared to previous price.
Teks doing that across the line so they must be going to be a huge change from First Texas.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both are good offerings.

The LRP can be had brand new in the $230 range. That would include a 11" DD coil over the Gamma. If you were seeking relics, the LRPs all metal mode would be my choice as it is deeper than the Gammas and still IDs with the numeric ID. You can use the V-Break to run the low tone up to foil (29), so a low tone distinguishes all iron relics, something the Gamma doesn't do. You can also use the notch width to notch out just the nails with a 3 of 99 notch rather than notching a whole segment, not available on the Gamma. The Gamma has a 3 segment running depth gauge, the LRP has 5, if that nonsense means something to you.

Now the Gamma does have a running ground FE meter. Again, if you see that as important. The Gammas on/off button is right above the PP button. Many complain of accidentally hitting it when PPing, thus turning off the detector (bummer).

The Gamma uses 40% of it's detection numerics for Iron targets. The LRP uses 20%, leaving 80% (or 20-99) for ID of non ferrous targets. Again, maybe nonsensical to some.

The Gamma uses the Greek coils, a definite plus. If you think you may be interested in aftermarket coils (NEL, SEF, MARS) then the Gamma will be a better choice. But if you can get your hands on a screw in to plug in converter, the LRP will be open to a whole world of controlling the ground.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Both are good offerings.

The LRP can be had brand new in the $230 range. That would include a 11" DD coil over the Gamma. If you were seeking relics, the LRPs all metal mode would be my choice as it is deeper than the Gammas and still IDs with the numeric ID. You can use the V-Break to run the low tone up to foil (29), so a low tone distinguishes all iron relics, something the Gamma doesn't do. You can also use the notch width to notch out just the nails with a 3 of 99 notch rather than notching a whole segment, not available on the Gamma. The Gamma has a 3 segment running depth gauge, the LRP has 5, if that nonsense means something to you.

Now the Gamma does have a running ground FE meter. Again, if you see that as important. The Gammas on/off button is right above the PP button. Many complain of accidentally hitting it when PPing, thus turning off the detector (bummer).

The Gamma uses 40% of it's detection numerics for Iron targets. The LRP uses 20%, leaving 80% (or 20-99) for ID of non ferrous targets. Again, maybe nonsensical to some.

The Gamma uses the Greek coils, a definite plus. If you think you may be interested in aftermarket coils (NEL, SEF, MARS) then the Gamma will be a better choice. But if you can get your hands on a screw in to plug in converter, the LRP will be open to a whole world of controlling the ground.

Thats a great evaluation ,good stuff

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gamma 6000 ! No issues with mid conductors like the LRP, fantastic depth and speed. This is my go to park machine, goes down to 11" on a quarter in my soil with the 8" coil concentric coil on 94 sens.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. The LRP has a harder time with IDing nickels than the Gamma.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Gamma is $250 right now at Walmart and Amazon...

That does change the picture in favor of the Gamma. Plus having the great coil library of the Greek Teks. Hard to beat that setup, IMO.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, Walmart has sold out of the $250 Gammas, they're now $499. Amazon still had 3 available for the $250 a few minutes ago...

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Making room for the Gamma 6500?

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making room for the Gamma 6500?

That's a good question. I'm sure there will be some new models at some point in the future, but I wouldn't expect startling new performance. There's just so much that can be done in the face of physics...

I'm still waiting for the instrument that will show the actual target on a screen with 360 degree 3d view to a depth of about 18". That should pretty much cover most of the hunting I could ever imagine...

stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jet.com has the land ranger pro for$228.88 and there is a 15% off coupon and free shipping. When I bought mine there was a 20% coupon there are some other discounts you can take. I think I payed around $173 for mine. This is a pretty new company trying to compete with amazon. I have bought several items from them with no problems, mostly used them because of good coupons trying to attract customers

Steve

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jet.com has the land ranger pro for$228.88 and there is a 15% off coupon and free shipping. When I bought mine there was a 20% coupon there are some other discounts you can take. I think I payed around $173 for mine. This is a pretty new company trying to compete with amazon. I have bought several items from them with no problems, mostly used them because of good coupons trying to attract customers

Steve

I don't see the LRP for sale anymore at Jet. The QDP is there, but a little high. All places that had the LRP for $350 or less are out of stock. WalMart is out and raised the LRP price up $78 to $306. Amazon is out and raised the price over $100 to $357. Maybe it's because of Christmas. Maybe it's because of supply and demand. The LRP is getting such good ratings and reviews, I feel it's the latter.

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Teknetics GAMMA Metal Detector
The Teknetics Gamma Metal Detector is so simple to use that even an inexperienced person can conduct a professional level metal detection or treasure hunt. This static metal detector features a two-digit numerical target ID system that will guide you throughout the process. It has four different tones, 79 levels of adjustable discrimination, multiple notches, adjustable sensitivity, and an intuitive menu system that will assist in the usage. The Teknetics metal detector has several search modes and a system to maintain ground balance. This sensitivity metal detector also includes a battery level indicator, numerical depth readout, and running depth indicator, which give you all the necessary details to complete your search. It requires one 9V battery for operation (not included).
Features:

LCD Target Readout
Low Battery Indicator
Ground Grab
Preset Ground Balance
8" Open-Face Coil System
Numeric Depth Display
Progressive Discrimination
3-Tone Audio Discrimination
Air Test Depth: 11"
Sensitivity Adjustment

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

V-Break, Variable Tone Breakpoint - Pinpoint Mode with Depth Indicator - Discrimination, Motion, No Motion - Variable Notching - Ground Grab, Computerized Ground Balancing
Features:

Variable tone breakpoint, Pinpoint mode with depth indicator
Discrimination motion, no motion
Variable notching, Ground Grab - computerized ground balancing
Preset ground balance, Adjustable volume
Intuitive menu structure, Jumbo LCD display
4-Tone audio target ID system
Battery level indicator, Requires one 9V battery
11” DD Searchcoil
5 Year manufacturer limited warranty

I am a newbie to metal detecting and will be detecting in a 5 to 10 acre area with some history to it (civil war and Native American). Any help comparing these two models is appreciated!

Both units have ground grab and manual ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions