Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a video on a Florida Beach, and another on a wet beach in ocean waves....Here is the video that demonstrates that....See for yourself...How many VLF detectors can do that?

I'm with you on this. After reading a lot about the iSAT and threshold circuitry and filters, and the other video's I've seen, the Racer 2 had a lot put into it for wet salt hunting and other terrain nuisances.

I like the 50 line conductivity meter that is used for also setting different function over that round look. I have that on mine and it makes things easier to set. I haven't seen anything I don't like on the R2.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get me wrong, I wish you guys luck but I have been very disappointed to say the least with a single frequency VLF in salt water. Maybe they made a breakthrough with the new detector.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the water? Dry sand is a whole different situation.
Your right...its been decades since i used the machine. I did in fact use it in and out of the water without any issues. That said, The ADS 3 was a TR/VLF machine and i may have been using it in TR mode.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Racer 2 will be my next machine unless Tesoro decides to release something new......and ii doubt that is happening..

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Racer 2 will be my next machine unless Tesoro decides to release something new......and ii doubt that is happening..

I think the Racer 2 will also be my next machine from the reviews I have seen thus far....I'm glad I held off on purchasing the original Racer....The R2 seems like a great detector and even Bill Ladd thinks its awesome!....I don't think he would recommend it if he didn't like the unit....

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Racer 2 here as well. Tried the MX Sport briefly, just didn't do it for me, plus the fact they release a waterproof machine, and at this time no waterproof headphones are available. Your also limited to one coil, the stock coil, again no optional coils available. I guess in April a 6 x 10 and 950 are suppose to be out.....but I hunt iron infested sites. Wonder when a small coil will be available ?? Just seemed like a bad launch. Geez, you almost think they need MX Sport sales in order to fund the manufacturing of the accessories...........

But at the price point each machine is at, the Racer 2 offers more and especially in iron littered sites will give much better performance. Also at time of release of the R2, accessories were also available.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it greatly depends on the type of beach your at. Can't imagine a single frequency pulling that off at many places.

Bill Ladd made a video of the Racer one here at some of the Massachusetts beaches. That's saying a lot based on all the black sand we've got up here.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill Ladd made a video of the Racer one here at some of the Massachusetts beaches. That's saying a lot based on all the black sand we've got up here.

These are Bill Ladds exact words on the Racer 2:

completely differnt unit- not just a Racer with a couple added things. I have a lot to learn still.... Finds testing NEW Racer 2. Buttons & musketball. Lovin this detector �� VIDEO SOON- after i shovel 8" of snow....

I finally think my decision has been made...

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me wrong, I wish you guys luck but I have been very disappointed to say the least with a single frequency VLF in salt water. Maybe they made a breakthrough with the new detector.

Ive owned/own many detectors that are supposed to GB to salt, Gamma 6000,G2 and G2+ tested a Fisher F75/ AT Pro....... all chatter and false when GB to 0.0 assuming sensitivity is kept med/high to achieve decent depth, especially when large pockets of very salty sand and water are involved especially where the waves terminate. These very large almost brine like pockets will give a good signal on the above detectors GB to salt. Ive had my old G2, Fors Core and CZ-20 out there on those very salty pockets during the same night and the G2 falsed and gave only 6"-7" on nickel at a gain of 90-100, the Fors Core was quiet and went down 10" with a gain of 98-99 mask of 20, the CZ-20 was obviously quiet and went down 10". Some additional circuitry or algorithms in processing goes into the Nokta/Makro machines that allow them to better deal with the salt and "see through" including the salt pockets i mentioned. I posted my finding on that forum when i did an extensive test. I have not seen any company have such an effective multi terrain machine except perhaps XP Deus. I do not know how black sand is handled by the Makro/Nokta detectors as our sand is very light on minerals. However South Florida has perhaps the highest salinity content beaches in the US!! I really wish the American made machines employed these circuits or processing schemes, id rather buy American.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread