T2 vs AT Gold?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are your plans as to what kind of hunting? If you're looking for small gold, I'd get the highest Freq. machine possible. If you are a relic hunter or coin shooter that also want to dig some gold Jewelry, I'd get the T2. Be cautious if buying used. Make sure you can see proof of pedigree since there are many counterfeits out their.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why buy the same machine with a higher freq?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my t2 better than my atpro. With the t2 you have more options to adjust to different locations.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both and liked the T2 and F75....but the AT Gold is my favorite machine and I have been much more successful with it. It is just as deep and handles extremely bad soils better. Has better ID at depth in high iron soils.....is waterproof....better build quality....and comes with headphones! The T2 is a great machine, but I prefer the AT Gold! Hope this helps! And Dirtscratcher is correct in saying that the T2 outperforms the ATP in most cases.....AT Gold is a different story. Also, your stock ATP coil can be used on the Gold and it goes really deep then. I have dug some deep relics using the ATP coil on the Gold.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both and liked the T2 and F75....but the AT Gold is my favorite machine and I have been much more successful with it. It is just as deep and handles extremely bad soils better. Has better ID at depth in high iron soils.....is waterproof....better build quality....and comes with headphones! The T2 is a great machine, but I prefer the AT Gold! Hope this helps! And Dirtscratcher is correct in saying that the T2 outperforms the ATP in most cases.....AT Gold is a different story. Also, your stock ATP coil can be used on the Gold and it goes really deep then. I have dug some deep relics using the ATP coil on the Gold.

Better quality? I think your off on that one but we all have an opinion. I've had such bad luck with garret. My t2 is 5 years and 0 problems every garrett I've had has broke. The list includes 2 propointers, an ace 250 , my atpro won't ground balance and now my Propointer at is starting to crap out. But some get lucky.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im with digger on this one.I have the at gold and the t2,and lots of other ddetectors and I have to make myself choose the t2 over the gold to hunt with.The at gold is my favorite detector,although i just bought a deus,that will be another story,as I havent had much swingtime with it. But i have had a lot of swingtime with my other detectors,but my hand tends to gravitate towards the at gold...lol..I couldnt say which one is deeper than the other because I havent checked that in the field.There is a whole lot of other things that are just as important to me than just which detector is the deepest and as far as better quality goes i wouldnt say one is better than the other,but i will say this....havent had a minutes trouble with the at gold but the t2 has been to texas twice for internal problems...just my 2 wheaties worth

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither the T2 or the F75 made it a year without problems....they feel a little flimsy to me also. First Texas machines feel like toys compared to Garretts and Minelabs construction. Even more so than the super light Tesoro machines. The only knob on my F75 quit working after 6 months....AT Gold has a few years, a pile of hours and no problems what so ever. My AT pro is 5 years old and the only problem with it was when I dropped it off a fence one winter morning and broke the arm cuff. Garrett had a new one in my mail box in about 3 days....no questions asked.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither the T2 or the F75 made it a year without problems....they feel a little flimsy to me also. First Texas machines feel like toys compared to Garretts and Minelabs construction. Even more so than the super light Tesoro machines. The only knob on my F75 quit working after 6 months....AT Gold has a few years, a pile of hours and no problems what so ever. My AT pro is 5 years old and the only problem with it was when I dropped it off a fence one winter morning and broke the arm cuff. Garrett had a new one in my mail box in about 3 days....no questions asked.

Like I said before we all seem to have different experiences. Your experience is 180 from mine. I guess if he wants another detector almost identical with a little more depth get an atgold. If he want something different that goes at least as deep swings easier with same size coil, has more adjustment features such as tones. A big plus for me is the headphone plug at rear of detector and trigger for ground balance and pinpoint. Screen is a lot bigger also.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is copy and paste of diggerinvirginia

KFirst off; I beleive the AT Pro is worth every penny you ppay for it! But alot of people will say the same for the Fisher....and i dont regret buying either! But you are comparing a jeep wrangler to a cadilac escalade here. Either will haul you to work...lol. The Fisher is way deeper, better balanced, comes wiith 2 coils, better battery life, has a backlight, has true all-medal, has way more options, etc. BUUUUTTT, it cost way more and has a huge learning curve. Not for the beginner! If i had bought tthis mchine when i bought my atp i would have been very discouraged! The point is all machines can be compared head to head....as cant all SUV's, cars, trucks, etc.....Each machine is going tto be better for a certain person ddepending on their skill level and style of hunting...

oh, and i drive a jeep wrangler so....just sayin....
This a copy and paste of diggerinvirginia

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KFirst off; I beleive the AT Pro is worth every penny you ppay for it! But alot of people will say the same for the Fisher....and i dont regret buying either! But you are comparing a jeep wrangler to a cadilac escalade here. Either will haul you to work...lol. The Fisher is way deeper, better balanced, comes wiith 2 coils, better battery life, has a backlight, has true all-medal, has way more options, etc. BUUUUTTT, it cost way more and has a huge learning curve. Not for the beginner! If i had bought tthis mchine when i bought my atp i would have been very discouraged! The point is all machines can be compared head to head....as cant all SUV's, cars, trucks, etc.....Each machine is going tto be better for a certain person ddepending on their skill level and style of hunting...

oh, and i drive a jeep wrangler so....just sayin....
This a copy and paste of diggerinvirginia

I have since this post....sold both T2 and F75 ltd.....still have AT pro, bought an AT gold and bought a second Jeep Wrangler!!!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their preferences,,,,,for me, the Garrett machines have been the easiest for me to be successful with. I have showed beginners how to run my ATP and had them digging like a pro in a few hours......they are, FOR ME, easy to be successful with. I compare them to my Sovereign GT at the beach, nothing else has been comparable for me there. I guess if you drive Fords for years with good service then you will swear by a Ford....

Opinions are all that is being given here.....and you cant prove someones opinion wrong! It is just my experiences....

OP
OP
Jcostin

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T2 is currently CHEAPER than the ATGold. $499. I'm leaning towards the AT Gold as it's going to be an easier learning curve coming from the ATPro. I've had my ATPro over 2 years with 0 problems...except I haven't found any gold coins with it...LOL. I like the interchangeability of the coils and headsets if something happened. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T2 is currently CHEAPER than the ATGold. $499. I'm leaning towards the AT Gold as it's going to be an easier learning curve coming from the ATPro. I've had my ATPro over 2 years with 0 problems...except I haven't found any gold coins with it...LOL. I like the interchangeability of the coils and headsets if something happened. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Don't expect to find many gold coins with the AT Gold, either. Because...well gold coins are hard to come by (but there is nothing wrong with positive thinking). But DO expect to find gold, if that's what you are looking for, with the ATG as that is what it is designed for with the higher frequency. If gold is your focus, the ATG wins over the T2, by design. If you want a more general purpose machine that may likely outperform the ATP and possibly the ATG under some circumstances, then I would lean toward the T2. I think you made a good choice.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is very little difference in sensitivity to small gold with either the T2 or AT Pro or Gold. If waterproof is not a necessity the better balanced T2 is the way to go. It has more adjustments, a much nicer/easier to read screen and is a deeper machine. Batteries last longer too.
Two gripes I had with the Garrett AT pro line, the small hard to see screen(not that you need to watch the screen but come on its a good reference) and the coil cable connection is really wedged up against the control box.....I guess not a problem if you don't change coils but if you do the T2 is way easier to do that.
The T2 does feel a little cheaper made but that's a little misleading, they are light weight and durable.
And Ive had both the F75 and T2 and the interference issues some talk about, well I don't find that at all if its properly adjusted.
Good luck with either,
Neil

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the higher frequency G2 vs. the T2 for gold?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The G2 gets nothing but praise, probably my next machine as my Greek coils will work with it.
Be my ultra iron trashy site machine.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The G2 gets nothing but praise, probably my next machine as my Greek coils will work with it.
Be my ultra iron trashy site machine.

I had the G2+ and used it successfully....however if you are comparing to the AT Gold, the G2 is a little faster(both are pretty fast) but the Gold is deeper in its all metal mode. But my reason for selling the G2 is that it is in VCO mode all the time, so a high isn't really a high tone so to speak,,,,and lower tones were the "better" and deeper targets. This is different than most machines and I struggled to get use to it. The all metal mode on the G2 didn't seem to be much deeper than disc. I like that it is light and nimble, the orange backlight is cool and single 9v is a good deal in my opinion. But in my opinion; it Is not the relic hunter that the AT gold is. If you are use to the T2 you are going to feel under powered with the G2.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread