May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Garrett ATX, Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Excaliber, Ive hunted exclusively with PIs and have my share .Its time to take advantage of new technology. Thanks for the input.

Are you asking which is the best for the beaches in the east? East coast US? Do you want PI or VLF? I was confused because its sounds like you want vlf but the atx and sand shark are pi.

Assuming you mean US east coast:

If you want VLF get a Excalibur or CZ21.

If you want PI, the ATX is a good choice. A lot of people like the white's df but the ATX probably gets more depth. The sand shark is good too but I would go DF over that.

Last edited:

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my DF, have for 6 years. It has its uses and is not going anywhere, but since I got the EXCal its my #1 till summer ends and things slow down................ or we get sanded in. SS

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the 8" Sand Shark for several years in the water and on the wet sand on Long Island, NY, in New Jersey, and down in Delaware with excellent success. I've also dug my share of bobby-pins, small pieces or wire and lead sinkers.

OP
OP
W

william1

Aug 30, 2006
sorry for the confusion East coast US which detector would be best I personally like PI over VLF, but would consider VLF

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Are you moving to the area? Visiting? How much do you want to invest?

If you only have one, I would go VLF and get an Excal or CZ21. That way if you end up in a trashy area you are covered. A PI is better as a secondary machine when the beach is clean, sanded in, or you are going in the water. East coast beaches can have lots of junk at times so that VLF is a safer bet. Nothing wrong with getting the PI as your only machine though but it can be tedious if you are in an iron infested area where pieces of wire are scattered everywhere. I use my CZ21 on the wet and dry sand then when I go in the water I use my PI. You would not want to use a PI on the dry sand

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi William; Please be more specific. You are asking people here to help you but you have not provided but the smallest details. The East Coast goes from Maine to Florida.!!! I'm in Boston myself. We would be glad to help you but you need to be more specific ok. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Now we can help you. Thanks. Me, I use the Whites DFX. I love it. It is VLF ok. BUUUUUTTTTT it does a great job on going from dry to wet sand with zero problems. It is very sensitive and accurate. I find as many rings as any other guys ok. For me, I think there is no need in getting a fancy detector . The DFX is a true turn on and go detector. It also has all the Pro Programs built in. You can even create your own Program ok. You can get a good used one for about $400. Just make sure you buy a GOOD set of HeadPhones ok. If you can't hear it you won't find it PERIOD.
On sensitivity. I find dimes at 10" - 12" all the time. I find larger targets down to 18". You can find a jar of coins at 2' no prob ok. I think I've pretty much covered it for you. A lot of guys are going to the Etrac. They say it will give them another 1" or 2". I say that's a waste of money. In the field I'll match my DFX against the Etrac any day ok. Your choice. The only decision you need to make is how much money you want to blow ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can afford one, get a Minelab CTX 3300 with a 17" DD coil.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
North Carolina

I am in nc as well. Most guys are swinging excals/cz21s. As terry said the ctx is a good one too if you're willing to spend the cash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread