E-trac and Tejon 2 Detectors 2 hours and interesting results.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I took the E-trac out to a ball field and limited the hunt to 2 hours. I used the built in coins pattern with no special tweeking.
I found 55 good targets with a breakdown as follows. Very little trash. Basically I cherry picked. Here are the results.
12 Quarters
21 dimes
2 nickels
20 pennies

Today I took my Tejon to the same place and limited the hunt to 2 hours. I searched a different section of the field and once Again, I cherry picked by notching up the discrimination.
I found 52 good targets this time and very little trash was dug.
Here are the results.
2 Quarters
3 Dimes
47 pennies

What does this mean? To me it says both machines can discriminate very well and both do a great job at coin shooting. Yes, more silver clad was taken by the E-trac giving it the upper hand in Target ID but the Tejon would have found the silver clad as well. And why would i compare them? Why not...they are the only two machines i have. I think they are both worth their weight in gold...or silver or clad. Im not choosy. OK maybe not clad.

IMG_0989.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now go over the area you did with the E-Trac and use the Tejon, and vice-versa. Let us know the results!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Idea. I will do just that! I only get Sundays off so lets hope the ground conditions are good enough for digging.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ETracs are known to be silver hounds for a reason, they love silver...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the Tejon is one heck of a machine also.....King of the VLF relic machines IMO!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Tejon skunked on nickels, or discriminated out?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok…the results are in. I went out to the site and did as Terry asked. Instead of spending 2 hours on each machine, I limited the hunts to one hour for each detector.

After sweeping the tejon over the area covered by the Minelab I found
4 quarters,
1 dime,
20 pennies
and a toy car with minimal trash.
Sorry...for whatever reason this picture imported upside down. Seems to happen alot here.
IMG_1007.JPG

After sweeping the E-Trac over the area covered by the Tejon I found
2 quarters,
8 dimes,
10 pennies
1 Token again with minimal trash.
IMG_1006.JPG

With the E-Trac, I tried to stay away from signals that indicated Zink so the overwhelming majority of my pennies from both hunts are copper.

With the Tejon, I kept the knob just below screw cap. The majority of my penny finds were Zink but I attribute that to my lack of experience in differentiating the sounds. Basically, if the signal was repeatable I dug it.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what is your conclusion after the hunts Ammoman?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These two very different machines are taking two very different approaches to finding and identifying a target. A total of 3 hours hunt time was given to each machine and amazingly, (when all was said and done) the total coin count within that time frame was 75 coins for the E-trac and 77 coins for the Tejon.
I found it much Easier to figure out what I was about to dig with the E-Trac IE Quarter or dime/nickel whereas the Tejon being a beep and dig machine was much more of a surprise with every dig.

That said, I didn’t do this comparison to prove one machine is better than the other but hopefully, see the strengths and weaknesses of each to help me optimize my hunts. As I have said before, No one machine does it all but combining machines and knowing what does and does not work for the individuals needs can only improve the likelihood of success.
I feel I made a very good choice in pairing these two machines. Where the E-trac lacks in speed, the Tejon excels. Where the Tejon lacks in language, the E-trac sings and where both excel in depth, both will serve me well.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
?..With the Tejon, I kept the knob just below screw cap. The majority of my penny finds were Zink but I attribute that to my lack of experience in differentiating the sounds. Basically, if the signal was repeatable I dug it.

I'm curious; what coil were you running on the Tejon?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious; what coil were you running on the Tejon?

It's the stock coil (Concentric)
I have been thinking about getting another one. Maybe a DD but, its hard to pick from all the choices. If i get one it will be the same size or smaller than the coil thats already on it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always find these tests/comparisons to be a lot of fun. :occasion14:

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ammoman, should i run the AT Pro over each section that you covered? you know, just for fun. id say an hour each and see what i come up with?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
My god, that ball park is now prime pickings for jewelry! :skullflag:

Thanks for updating the thread. :thumb_up:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god, that ball park is now prime pickings for jewelry! :skullflag:

Thanks for updating the thread. :thumb_up:[/QUOTE

LOL the park is pretty big and this was just one small part of it. Yes..its almost ready for jewlery mode. I think i will hit the two sections again with the Tejon set at Nickel. This will help pull some trash and maybe even a few rings. Then its the E-tracs turn.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give the newest Tesoro Coil, the 11x8 DD a try on your Tejon.....I love it!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ammoman, should i run the AT Pro over each section that you covered? you know, just for fun. id say an hour each and see what i come up with?

I don't think the results would be fair because the AT pro would have not been able to hit one of the two sites first. Instead lets pick 3 different areas and do a round robin where every machine gets a chance to hit an area first.

I expect all three will be pretty close when using high discrimination. Maybe we can put the Bounty hunter 505 in the mix as well. I don't think i dug more than 4 inches for a single coin

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread