Tesoro cortes audio compared to the ace 150,fors core and xp deus.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i should have said hell no he wont hunt behind you, i remember that video where you did not see the copperhead. that was the 1st video of yours i ever watched. i think i commented on it. you turned comments off now. :dontknow:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask my hunting partner if he would recommend hunting behind me lol:tongue3:

I usually out hunt a friend of mine in the few times weve hunted together. He uses an Etrac and just seems to go much slower than me. I dont know if it is the weight of the machine, the slower recovery, or just him:laughing7:

highball

Greenie
Sep 12, 2016
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Safari, Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Golden μMax, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F75, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to use the sum mode on the Cortes to get the tones.

From the owners manual:

The Sum Mode is a feature that can help identify targets. Pushing the springloaded switch into the Sum Mode causes the detector to start a multi-tone ID and averages all of the coil passes over the target. The tone ID has nine different tones and relates directly to the bar graph segments.

The higher up on the graph the target is, the higher the pitch of the audio signal. Averaging the coil passes over the target gives the detectorist the ability to get rid of most of the signal noise that prevents making an accurate target identification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to bad you couldnt run it that way all the the time the one tone just wasnt for me but I know others love it. The toggle switch flips back when you qiut pushing so I guess every target would have to be checked that way I dont have time for that. Why not just buy a multi tone machine and save yourself the headache.? Im just not a fan I believe for 700 bucks there are other detectors out there that will fit the bill better but thats just me.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned a Cortes in the past and had great success with it. But I have a Tesoro background so I understood how to use it. I currently swing a Deleon and am having great success with it too. I watched your video and got a little frustrated at your dismissal of the Cortes, but you are right about one thing. It is overpriced for what it is. It's a great detector but more in the $400-$450 range. For $700 there are a lot of other machines to consider.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just dont like that one tone mode of hunting and on some of there machines thumbing the disc knob all the time, I couldnt imagine hunting that way all the time. If I had started with a tesoro I might like it but for me starting with a multi tone machine there is no way I could ever hunt like that. There is just so much information in the tones of my deus I would feel like I was hunting blind if I had to use a tesoro . I know they have a loyal following and people find stuff with them all the time but for me there are better ways to metal detect , but thats just me. I will say this though if they ever make the tejon in two tone I will have to give one a try I have seen some test of it in iron.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Give the Tejon 2 tones and it would be a best seller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread