Tesoro cortes audio compared to the ace 150,fors core and xp deus.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input Terry so basically for 719.00 you couldnt hunt with zero discrim either another plus. Btw I did mess around with discrim and watched the numbers jump all over the place with iron discriminated out .It called the silver dime a silver coin, a nickel pull tab,and a penny when I turned up discrim , so if your relying on the vdi to dig or not dig you are in trouble with this unit imo. I dont know about the other tesoros but not much learning curve on this one ,I guess I should have showed it with discrim and the vdi jumping all over the place. My question is for anyone to answer why would you recommend a one tone machine to a newbie? OMT to remember is when you turn up that discrim you are knocking out good targets too . gold rings etc. If I remember correct the pull tab discrim is above the nickel so if you knock out tabs you killed the nickels. In my opinion its lacking very bad for 719.00 dollars everyone reading this can be their on judge.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input Terry so basically for 719.00 you couldnt hunt with zero discrim either another plus.

What? The Cortes has Four search modes:
All Metal, Non-Motion, Notch Discrimination, Silent Search. The machine has a Fixed Ground Balance, so to me it is no better than the Cibola. The Tejon will snuff the XP Deus in depth using BOTH All Metal, and Discrimination modes - period. If you want to make the point that Tesoro machines don't use different audio tones, that is already common knowledge.

Tesoro machines are not for everybody. They aren't sexy or cool, they are just solid treasure finders. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i didnt notch anything out I watched the guy on youtube showing how to use the narrow notch or wide notch actually a very good video the man made showing the features of the machine. I just dont like the technology its not about the looks , the thing feels real good to swing its just the audio and discrimination lacking imo . If I find a tejon for a deal I will buy it and we will see about the depth, in my soil the deus will tag a 14 inch silver quarter with no problems with a 9 inch coil.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that the Cortes at over $700 is ridiculous but I would gladly swing a Vaquero or Cibola with the discriminate knob just past iron on any old site not littered with modern trash or big iron. Problem is most old sites either have one or both. Detectors that provide more information like the Deus are just more fun

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very well said toasted it seems like 99% of the places I hunt have modern trash over lap and thats was my point you would dig yourself to death in that enviroment. I dig a ton of trash with the deus on sites like thatand can pass some of it up , I couldnt imagine a one tone machine on a site like that. My friend brought his tesoro today and we looked at discrim out junk the problem was in knocked out the civil war and coloniel buttons too. Will post a video later on it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very well said toasted it seems like 99% of the places I hunt have modern trash over lap and thats was my point you would dig yourself to death in that enviroment. I dig a ton of trash with the deus on sites like thatand can pass some of it up , I couldnt imagine a one tone machine on a site like that. My friend brought his tesoro today and we looked at discrim out junk the problem was in knocked out the civil war and coloniel buttons too. Will post a video later on it.
My first decent detector was a Vaquero. I worked a sick early site all of 2015 with it. It was full of modern trash and coins but fortunately not a lot of big iron and only moderate small iron. I couldnt even guess how many holes I dug there but the Vaqero found 95% of what was there including many very deep buttons, coppers and silvers before later going back with an at pro and a deus. Youve got to dig it all to find it all but with some sites thats not always an option. Its also fun to be able to guess what your digging with a decent vdi machine

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig it all most of the time but late in the day its good to be able to pass a few up if the ole back is tired. Some sites with modern trash I get honed in on some of it and let a few of those go sometimes but most of the time I dig it all I have found some great finds detecting that way. imo its just great to have a choice.

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i usually dig it all also, as relic hunters we almost have to. the problem is when it is cold and i am wearing all kinds of heavy clothes and trudging through the woods, i get tired much more quickly. digging it all is difficult. when i can't, i usually head home and save it for another day.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I say I dig it all but I dont really because some of the tones like large shallow cans I can tell and the large tin and stuff. So I do cherry pick in a way if you want to call it that ,it really depends on the site and whats there.The site I was on today for example had a million little pieces of lead and they behaved a certain way in the audio and after awhile the little lead pieces well were lefted laying. So I got honed in on the lead bb s today.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this may be true digging a park. but in the woods like i hunt, you can think something is a can or trash, be damn sure of it, dig it anyway just to see and it turns out to be something really cool relic wise. i cant count the number of times it has happened, then again, the times i have not dug, who knows. i agree though, u can get dialed in, but it is not a perfect science.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will figure out the deus audio is pretty informative on that issue. But maybe thats why I havent found a plate lol

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you may be right, i am talking about the AT Pro or my Fisher. Have not used the Deus near enough to claim i have a handle on it yet. not even close. :dontknow:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You better dig it all when your on a very old plowed field site. Ive dug a 12+" budweiser can right next to a 1600s spectacle buckle that was practically on the surface.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those 12 inch cans get me everytime. I WOULD DIE if I knew I had passed over a civil war box plate.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
and the thing is you usually never know. unless your buddy comes up behind you and says, "check this out, I just dug a plate. glad i did not pass it off as a can!" :laughing7:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those 12 inch cans get me everytime. I WOULD DIE if I knew I had passed over a civil war box plate.

Ive dug a lot of shallow keepers on later trips to good sites that I probably passed on in previous trips. Shallow big iron and aluminum is usually unmistakable but a shallow large keeper sounds kinda similar. As the targets thin out, you become less selective. Ive never hunted woods but I believe shallow keepers can be found there as well.

First few times on a site, I want the Deus. After that, any deep machine will do because there wont be much left to dig but iron

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting