Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy the more expensive unit first!

I bought a $200 Bounty Hunter, then $600 AT Pro, then $1500 Deus... three machines in 7 months... because I was scared, like a little girl.

AT Pro has proportional audio, deep target sounds softer, shallow target sounds louder. It gives a lot more information to the trained ear. IMHO, this is the lowest level of effective machine. If you can afford to spend more, and want to do so, the high end (VFL machines) are CTX-3030 and Deus.

I chose the Deus because it is wireless, ultra light and I look really cool swinging it!

Good luck, and have fun!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever metal detected before? What kind of detecting do you prefer to do? Relic hunting, coin shooting, nugget hunting? Watch videos of the ones you listed and see if you like the sounds/tones, which screen has the best display for your taste. It seems like you are on a budget which is fine because if the hobby isn't for you, you'd not have too much invested. I, like Carolina Tom started with a low end detector (TC-1023), then upgraded to a Fisher F4 sixty days later, and then to my F75LTDSE five months later. The bug bit me hard, three years in and I detect every weekend (both days). A majority of my finds could have been detected with lower cost detectors.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get yourself a tesoro compadre 8in coil for 160 bucks and under for used. Add a Leche digger and pinpointer for around the same amount together and see if you like the hobby. To many beginners buy just the detector and not the pinpointer and struggle to find the target after they locate it with the detector. So consider your first investment to be at least 200 dollars extra to include a proper digger and pinpointer.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For ease of use and learning the hobby I recommend you get a used F2 or Teknetics Delta. I am a huge fan of the DD coil over the concentric, but the 8" concentric is a good coil to start with. I picked up an F2 with 2 coils for $100 a few weeks ago and when a property owner wants to hunt with me on their property I can get them started withing a few minutes of training. Of course I am in Ohio with mild soil so ground balancing is not a huge necessity. If you are in an are of highly mineralized soil I would lean towards the BH Land Ranger Pro. It comes with options that other mid to high end detectors come with and can be ground balanced. I see some used ones selling for less than $200. Good Luck in what ever you choose.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stefs
Welcome to Tnet !
You need to take into consideration your desire to get into this hobby,and how often you change hobby's.
If your desire is small go small in cost...just stay with the "Known Brands".
Sound is much more important than sight in metal detecting...so go with a machine with tones...meters are helpful but get some targets wrong and get less helpful the deeper the target.
What ever machine you choose,Take it to a good spot and the machine can show you whats in the ground good and poor targets...public parks are very bad places to start due to the junk targets
Your back yard will do at first ... practice digging flaps/holes in your yard,and remember this is fun .
Gary

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to GARY.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am from Montenegro.
In my country we have a lot of beach and some small mountains.
I really like this hobby, and i buy my first metal detector.
I hope i get a lot of advices from you my friends..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
any other advices?

Have you googles each model that interests you and watch some videos of each. If you are interested in a Bounty Hunter, then the LRP is my choice. If you are interested in a Fisher then I'd go for the stock F75, for Garrett I'd go AT Pro, On a new Minelab, I believe the 705 is the lowest one I'd purchase, I am not that familiar with Makro or Nokta detectors.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a coast of salt water, and notably, some machines freak out in black salt water sands. So, that's something you'll wish to consider.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hunt wet salt water beaches your going to need a good salt water detector and they are not cheap.

November 9, 2016 A New Future

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no one of this detector cant hunt in beach?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread