Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300i, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

First post, newbie... I'm interested in this hobby and would like to get a good quality novice detector. I'm in Ontario, Canada and would be using this mainly for coins, jewelry, relics - i.e. 'general purpose' stuff in the Niagara area/Lake Erie area. I've been doing my homework and based on my interests, skill level (or lack thereof), budget, I've boiled it down to this shortlist:
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Garrett Ace 300i
Fisher F22
Which would you recommend over the others? Any not on my list that should be (trying to stay in the $300-$400 CDN range)

Follow-up question: If I embrace this hobbie like many of you obviously have, what would be my NEXT purchase for a higher level of performance?

Thanks in advance! PortCreditGuy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with any Garrett machine as a good first machine to start off with.

I started off with the AT Pro (which I know is more than what you want to spend), but it's a solid machine.

If you pick a Garrett machine now and find that you quite like the hobby, then moving up to the higher end Garrett machine at some point won't involve a huge learning curve.

At some point people will talk about getting a separate pin pointer as well. I strongly encourage that, but if money is tight you may want to wait a bit.

Garrett makes one they call the Garrett Carrot, and it is submersible to up to 10' of water.

Metal detecting is an easy hobby to get into as it requires no real skills, but I would encourage you to learn some of the etiquette that is associated with it.

Things like........

Don't use a shovel when digging in a public space (school, park, soccer fields)

Make sure you learn how to dig a proper 3 sided hole (plug) rather than just hacking up somebody's lawn

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU, no matter what you dig up you should always take it with you.

Don't just assume that you can dig somewhere, know your local laws.

If in doubt always ask permission, but most schools and soccer fields and parks are okay.

Cemeteries are off limits, as too are marked historical sites or burial grounds.

If you need any other information then just ask, there are lots of good people here with years of experience in the hobby.

Good luck

OP
OP
P

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Terry Soloman: Good video but it didn't do much to help me narrow the field down! :icon_scratch:

@Geobound: Thanks for the recommendation. Also, some good tips for the beginner. Appreciated!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hi All,

First post, newbie... I'm interested in this hobby and would like to get a good quality novice detector. I'm in Ontario, Canada and would be using this mainly for coins, jewelry, relics - i.e. 'general purpose' stuff in the Niagara area/Lake Erie area. I've been doing my homework and based on my interests, skill level (or lack thereof), budget, I've boiled it down to this shortlist:
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Garrett Ace 300i
Fisher F22
Which would you recommend over the others? Any not on my list that should be (trying to stay in the $300-$400 CDN range)

Follow-up question: If I embrace this hobbie like many of you obviously have, what would be my NEXT purchase for a higher level of performance?

Thanks in advance! PortCreditGuy

Loved the F2, the F22 took its place with more features.
The Gamma from Teknetics has just been lowered from the $400+ price to $239...a fantastic deal.

The $650-$700 range F70 I upgraded to, with no plans or need to go anywhere else at this point because it does everything I ask of it and so much more, is discontinued but within a week or so is rising like a Phoenix from the F70 ashes under a new name called the Patriot from Ameritek with all its features and abilities intact.
That introductory price is going to be $399.
That is mind boggling to me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Terry Soloman: Good video but it didn't do much to help me narrow the field down! :icon_scratch:

@Geobound: Thanks for the recommendation. Also, some good tips for the beginner. Appreciated!

Tesoro Silver uMax; Tesoro Mojave

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some great information from other members here, but they forget (or possibly don't know), but all those prices they have given you will require at least a 30% markup for Canadian funds.

The site sponsors here may be able to help you out with US to Canadian pricing, as well as shipping costs, so I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them a message.

If all else fails contact a Canadian rep of the same lines and see what they can offer.

I'm a firm believer in supporting site sponsors, but sometimes they can't help us because of the border issues.

OP
OP
P

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Gamma from Teknetics has just been lowered from the $400+ price to $239...a fantastic deal.

The $650-$700 range F70 I upgraded to, with no plans or need to go anywhere else at this point because it does everything I ask of it and so much more, is discontinued but within a week or so is rising like a Phoenix from the F70 ashes under a new name called the Patriot from Ameritek with all its features and abilities intact.

It looks like the Canadian stores didn't get the memo from Teknetics... the Gamma is still priced in the $600-$700 range here, which leaves your recommendation for the F22. Cool! Thanks.

It does not look like the new AmeriTEK models are available here at all yet, which is a bit of a bummer! :BangHead:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While there is many detectors out there that will do what you want. I am very fond of First Texas detectors. Like a good tool you will want better and it will get pricey. Why limit yourself by getting detectors that will limit your hunts? I always advise buying the best you are comfortable spending. The only detector I would not buy would be fake or knock off. Buying used is also a gamble, you want to get new if you can. Good luck no matter what you pick. The science is the same for all VLF detectors.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always go to the Kellyco site where I can review the specs of up to 4 detectors side by side. I have had the BH Land Ranger Pro and am a huge fan of the DD coil. Out of the choices you listed I would go with the Land Ranger Pro since it can be ground balanced in all modes and comes with the DD coil. Take time to watch some videos and see which machine displays the data in a format that suits you. Also listen to the tones the detector makes. Just know that the tones are what triggers you to evaluate a target signal or not.

Your next purchase should be another coil or 2 for the detector you decided on. A sniper coil is a must have for trashy areas, and a large coil is great for target sparse areas. It allows you to cover more ground and gives you some additional depth.

Be sure to buy a good pin pointer. I hunted my 1st 6 months not owning one, but now will not hunt without one. I 1st bought the BH pin pointer and decided it makes a better paper weight than pin pointer. I have 2 Garretts, an older black pro pointer and the Garrett carrot.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It looks like the Canadian stores didn't get the memo from Teknetics... the Gamma is still priced in the $600-$700 range here, which leaves your recommendation for the F22. Cool! Thanks.

It does not look like the new AmeriTEK models are available here at all yet, which is a bit of a bummer! :BangHead:

Man, a shame.
These prices and deals are pretty much only by online ordering through their website and include free shipping...here in the states.
I would give them a call just for the heck of it and see what options you might have, anyway.

OP
OP
P

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some great advice/recommendations here fellows. I knew I came to the right place!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will tell you my story. Yeah cant go wrong with the 300i, I was thinking also a Compadre, or the Mojave here too the Silver is good as well can't go wrong with what Terry said here take it from a guy who knows. Heck if they ever came out with a CAN version of the US Tecknetics Patriot that would be my choice here for something like the F70 but still for a beginner some people are getting a good deal on Technetics Omega 6000 out there as a more intermediate machine even because of the new releases, even think Garrett is coming out with something soon in a month but not likely a beginer machine here though. Also a different story unless you want to pay the duty and shipping, exchange to buy US. Too much for me why I would lean towards the Mojave even over the 300i here as a beep and dig machine vs price, and lifetime warranty. Also I hear good things on the Euro Tech Pro or if you can get a good deal on the Land Ranger Pro. Not sure on the Delta 4000 here either would opt for the Land Ranger Pro instead I think, but if you do go US be ready for $50.00 duty, shipping over abit higher at least on your detector if you go US, also exchange. So try to buy Canadian. You can get Bounty Hunter at Canadian Tire, I bought a Delta after I bought my 300i ACE but returned it and went with a new Vaquero instead with a Canadian vendor, so glad I did, as it would have been too similar, and nothing wrong with Tecknetics Delta 4000 or the Garrett ACE two very comparable begginer units. But I would still lean towards LRP if I never owned either of these two. Just me. I still like my 300i and would love to compare it over the LRP but it may just may have a bit of an advantage I think.

HH.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bring the CAN version of the Tecknetics NEW Minute Man, Liberator and the Patriot, (as well that Gamma with it being a good deal too) like they did the Garrett Ace 200,300,400 i series, yeah that would be mind blowing as well to add what you mentioned, I would buy that Patriot in a shot!

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Myself I would not buy a 400i though and glad I purchased my 300i, looking at your selection and if you did buy a Mojave, 300i, F22 or a LRP stay focused with that good depth and seperation on all, the best I will leave it to others, the 300i and the 5x7 DD is a nice coil in the future to keep in mind, wish it came stock, keep that in mind.

And what you would get out of the other machines you already mentioned, that is why I am happy with my 300i auto GB and Vaq 11x8 and 5.75 incl with manual GB mix duo. If you wanted to always have a back up go to machine a $200.00 Compadre at 12Kz would always be a good machine too here. If you have $400, and wanted only one detector as a begginer/intermediate machine, LRP period.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a favor, try and see if you have any local metal detector shops around you. You can learn a lot from a local dealer and I bet you could get a better deal on anything you buy along with getting to try out the machines.

Edit: Also dont rule out ebay. Here's First Texas's page http://www.ebay.com/usr/firsttexasproducts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for your input. A very tough call but I've made a decision and ordered the 300i. Scoured tons of comments, reviews and videos. The 300i has lots of nice features, improved separation and recovery over the older ACE models, high marks for build quality.. maybe not the top performer, but my slightly twisted rationale that tipped the scale into going for with this one was resale value/ease. I'll most likely sell this unit down the road - either because I don't embrace the hobby or I do. :laughing7: If I don't, I'll likely sell it and be done. If I do, I'll (maybe) sell it and upgrade. I think as a brand, Garrett will have a good resale and be easy to move locally.

Ordered a couple of other items for the kit bag to get me started: Garrett pro-pointer AT and this cool looking garden knife: MIJ Tomita Nisaku No.830 Hori Hori
71oHPbYAghL._SL1500_.jpg

The weather here in southern Ontario is taking a turn for the better, so I'll be out in the yard next week getting used to my new toys.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just in case you have not absolutely pulled the trigger yet, the Teknetics Gamma 6000 is available for $239.00. The website for this deal is:
wwww.tekneticsdirect.com
Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PortCreditGuy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just in case you have not absolutely pulled the trigger yet, the Teknetics Gamma 6000 is available for $239.00. The website for this deal is:
wwww.tekneticsdirect.com
Good luck.
Thanks for the link, but I have absolutely pulled the trigger.

I did look into it though just for the heck of it. As best I can tell, it's only available through participating dealers and not directly from the Teknetics web store. Only some USA dealers are participating. No Canadian dealers are (even though there are a few in may province). So, to take advantage, I'd have to locate a dealer in the USA who'd ship to me (which may violate there dealer protection agreement, but may not), then I'd have to pick up the shipping costs and a hit for CC currency conversion. So, it's still a great deal, but not as great as it is for our neighbors south of the 49th, plus a bit of a PITA to execute.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have the Hori Hori and a Lesche digger there booth great tools to have, also if you are looking for a shovel, see my Tesoro post Best Shovel, some good post to see if you need a shovel, by the way the Garrett Ace 300i will have descent begginer head phones for you I was quit impressed, and not sure at this time you will be getting a free bag with yours seems to be a spring promo right now with Garrett but not sure from the vendor you got it with, either way the Garrett 300i is a winner.

Happy Hunting when you get your 300i, be sure to post your finds, I will be out with mine again this weekend. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions