CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other then scuba capability why would anyone want to invest in an Excalibur2 instead of an Equinox 800.

I’m asking because I am about to get a smoking deal on Excalibur and lots of accessories from a local seller and having some second thoughts.

3A56091D-7E77-4219-8A12-B8589C4EFA0B.jpeg . Vs

16EE0A13-0A96-4949-8247-1A7156A8B77E.jpeg

Thank you in advance for your wisdom

CAE403DB-B864-402F-9279-234685E85B19.jpeg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't compare the Equinox with the Excal II because I don't have an Equinox. But I do have the Excal and can shed some light from that end.

I don't scuba, so don't submerge the Excal but to about 5 feet. So, there's a case where the Equinox would suit me in the water.

The Excal is nose heavy, cranks my elbow. So, I had to purchase a straight shaft assembly - around $100 or so.

Then there's the pin point mod which would be desirable = around $150 to $175.

During the off season, the knob o-rings needed replacement and the seals. That was around $175. Fortunately the cabling was okay - you have to secure the headphone cable so that it doesn't flex. In all flex locations I smear with silicone grease to prevent dry rotting.

You need a knob guard to protect the knobs as if you're careless and bang a knob it may break it off the circuit board.

These cautions aside, I love my Excal and can't wait to get back in the water. great depth and easy to learn. I scooped a whisper year before last at at least 12" under the sand, a small child's sterling ring - just a whisper.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox all day, every day for the beach. SCUBA no, but up to your waist and wet sand - Equinox! :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 18" on a stock coil with the excal in pp mode, don't think your going to get that on the Equinox. I have equinox 800 on order but it will not be replacing my excals.

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 18" on a stock coil with the excal in pp mode, don't think your going to get that on the Equinox. I have equinox 800 on order but it will not be replacing my excals.

I was looking for a good reason and you just gave me one Treasure_Hunter. Sometimes the ocean doesn’t get all of its sand back and give me that amazing cut I always dream of...so depth is a BIG DEAL .

Thank you gentlemen!

Cheers

20A6F060-A2CF-4779-8BA7-B6A39FCC30FC.jpeg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Another absolute advantage with the Excal is that iron isn't a problem.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the Excal in action and for salt water don't think it can be beat. If you get a larger wave in on the Equinox, and all of a sudden you and it are under water, would that cause a problem with the machine and it's warranty? There's waterproof and there's waterproof. I don't know, just asking.(That's why the chicken cat here doesn't go in the water, plus all those nasty broken beer bottles I saw this week out about 20-40' when the wind blew the water out. Ick.)

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal is nose heavy, cranks my elbow. So, I had to purchase a straight shaft assembly - around $100 or so.

The one I’m looking to invest in has a straight shaft conversion.

Then there's the pin point mod which would be desirable = around $150 to $175.
I am very interested in this conversion where would be the best place to get this done or any other conversions for the Excal2, knobs, guard etc. I have seen YouTube videos for the DYI guys but I am got better things to do with my extra time...like detect. . :metaldetector: .L :laughing9: L

During the off season, the knob o-rings needed replacement and the seals. That was around $175. Fortunately the cabling was okay - you have to secure the headphone cable so that it doesn't flex. In all flex locations I smear with silicone grease to prevent dry rotting.

You need a knob guard to protect the knobs as if you're careless and bang a knob it may break it off the circuit board.

These cautions aside, I love my Excal and can't wait to get back in the water. great depth and easy to learn. I scooped a whisper year before last at at least 12" under the sand, a small child's sterling ring - just a whisper.

I am very excited now after chatting with you fellas, this by no means is going to keep me from getting the Nox800 as well...however I believe I’ve reached my legal limit of detectors in my arsenal and need to say good bye to one or two detectors. I have a feeling that the Garrett ATP is going soon.

Cheers

‘Scoop

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the Excal in action and for salt water don't think it can be beat. If you get a larger wave in on the Equinox, and all of a sudden you and it are under water, would that cause a problem with the machine and it's warranty? There's waterproof and there's waterproof. I don't know, just asking.(That's why the chicken cat here doesn't go in the water, plus all those nasty broken beer bottles I saw this week out about 20-40' when the wind blew the water out. Ick.)

It’s supposed to be good to 10ft

If a wave takes you down deeper then 10 ft you will be in a world of hurt and the detector :metaldetector: will be the last of one’s worries.

Any good YT videos you guys can suggest on getting familiar with Excal2 that you can direct me to?

‘Scoop

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water scoop, you nailed it. 3 feet or so of water and a 5 foot boat or ship wave could be an issue. However a temporary one. There is a main shipping channel a few hundred yards from this one real popular beach nearby and when those freighters go by, you notice it. Get both machines!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread