Has the Equinox made all single vlf machines obsolete??

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the deus hit both targets at 28 khz.. should I been running in 28 to get best performance on the deus with hf coil?

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah. I still consider my AT Pro very relevant! 8-)

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX and E-trac have been multi freq machines for a while. No real game changer. I think the multi frequency works good when using two ID numbers but as the equinox is only a one number ID, i see no real advantage of having multi frequency's over a single frequency machine when almost all us coins including gold coins can be detected fine with a frequency of 20khz or less. The NOX has several single frequency settings indicating multi is not the end all be all. If it were, they would have just offered the machine with multi and been done.

If you believe the hype then get the machine. I for one do not like the sounds of the NOX. I am also turned off by some of the reports that are trickling in about the unequal weight distribution and its lower standard quality in build materials. Now, these are all things that can be fixed but for now i am not interested.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone hunting on the beach, any single freq. Machine is a huge handicap. I will never tote a single freq. Machine to the beach again....
Even on dry land the multi freq. Keeps me from wondering if I am in "the best" freq. For the area and possible targets there.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX and E-trac have been multi freq machines for a while. No real game changer. I think the multi frequency works good when using two ID numbers but as the equinox is only a one number ID, i see no real advantage of having multi frequency's over a single frequency machine when almost all us coins including gold coins can be detected fine with a frequency of 20khz or less. The NOX has several single frequency settings indicating multi is not the end all be all. If it were, they would have just offered the machine with multi and been done.

If you believe the hype then get the machine. I for one do not like the sounds of the NOX. I am also turned off by some of the reports that are trickling in about the unequal weight distribution and its lower standard quality in build materials. Now, these are all things that can be fixed but for now i am not interested.

Multi-IQ is completely different from Full Band Spectrum and is faster. With Multi-IQ I am spending less time analyzing numbers and more time digging good targets that didn't stand out before. Borrow an Equinox, if you can, and take it to your worst site. You might change your mind. It has opened up every single site that I had previously ditched.

One of the reasons they allow us to use individual frequencies is so that we can isolate noisy frequencies. For example, I was hunting next to a radar tower and Multi-mode was too chatty, and Noise-Cancel was not helping. I found that the radar tower had a significant impact on 5 and 10 khz channels, so I was able to use 15khz and up individually with no chatter. I think a better application, however, would be the ability to remove noisy frequencies vs using one or all. So let us hunt in 3 frequencies, or 2, or 4, as examples... In every other scenario, Multi has been king for me.

I also did not like the sounds. In fact, I sort of hated them at first. After some easy tweaks to the tone pitches, I am really loving 5-tone now.

Back to the OP - I think ML's choice of the term "obsolete" was, perhaps, too bold. I see a lot of people are mistakenly taking it to mean single freqs are "not good anymore", which is not true and not what obsolete means. I take it to mean "outdates", which probably would have been a better choice of terminology, IMO. Multi-IQ does outdate single freq and I can't imagine all of the companies that sell detectors aren't taking a hard look at developing their own competitive technologies to utilize multiple frequencies at once.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBS and BBS are not the same as Multi-IQ, multi-iq is totally new technology just like ZVT is on the GPZ-7000.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent video, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like xp could just push a software update to enable multi-frequency..

Your machine is one the best ,its just that this is new tech. I found a lot with the deus but this multi IQ tech is something to be looked at real hard. Yes 28 kh is good for iron ..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OF COURSE from someone who hasn't even used the machine......

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to give us more comparison info on the three machines. Keep um coming.:thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom Line? The Minelab Equinox 600/800 is the world's best, finest, number one - "All Around Metal Detector." :goldtrophy:

If you own a single-frequency VLF metal detector, from the XP Deus, to the Ace 250, you are at a disadvantage when hunting against the $650.00 Equinox. There is NO arguing this, it is a incontrovertible fact. :skullflag:

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like xp could just push a software update to enable multi-frequency..

I'm fairly certain they cannot because I think the Deus uses a mechanical relay to switch between each individual internal coil wire for each respective frequency (i.e. no simultaneous operation). I think it would have to be a completely new coil design from the ground up, which I would not be surprised if they were already R/D'ing. I also wonder how broad ML's Multi-IQ patent is in terms of simultaneous use of multiple frequencies. ML has already sued XP once...

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bottom Line? The Minelab Equinox 600/800 is the world's best, finest, number one - "All Around Metal Detector." :goldtrophy:

If you own a single-frequency VLF metal detector, from the XP Deus, to the Ace 250, you are at a disadvantage when hunting against the $650.00 Equinox. There is NO arguing this, it is a incontrovertible fact. :skullflag:

I agree Terry, it's like going from a pen knife to a Swiss army knife, it's one versatile machine

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YOU NAILED IT!! drop the mic..

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just wondering if you were going to keep us informed on different settings that seem to work for you with the Equinox...? I know you shared a lot of info on the Deus in the past. Nice to try different things. Got word from Keith at Fort Bedford MD that my Nox will be shipped out Very soon! Can't wait to give it a spin..

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"calabash", and again, I learn much from your videos, when I see another video posted by "calabash", I'm drawn to it like a magnet. Having said that, I think 99% of MY hunting would be in Multi, since I am more a "coin & jewelry" guy. Terry Soloman speaks highly of the 600, which speaks volumes about how good the 600 is. Just what might be the advantage if any, in going single Freq. of 20 or 40 with the 800. Of course I understand there are "extras" on the 800, but other than electronic "prospecting", what might the 800 offer over the 6 in coins, jewelry and relic hunting. This is a small question, but the point is that I DO value YOUR opinion. As far as the word "obsolete"? I can only speak for machines that I use, those being the AT Pro, and the Minelab X-Terra 70 and Safari, and I believe that word obsolete might very well apply. Thanks for taking the time and effort in the making of these really "informative" videos. Well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread