Air Test 6 Detectors vs 1 Coin

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a test in the house with 6 different detectors in all metal mode and max settings for each, no ground balancing or turned off if the detector allowed it, i used a croatian 1 kuna- the coin is a hair bigger than a u.s nickel

1st test- Tesoro Vquero with stock 9*8 coil(brand new battery), results: 13-14 inches, solid at 13, little jumpy at 14

2nd test- Tesoro Sand Shark with 10.5'' hardwired coil, results: 11.5 inches, solid hit at 11

3rd test- Sovereign xs(using ebay rechargable battery) with old white coinsearch 8'' coil, results: 11.5 inches, solid at 11... changed coils to 10'' tornado, result: solid 12.5 inches

4th test- Sovereign gt with 10'' tornado coil in pp mode, result: solid 12 inches

5th test- White's tdi pro with stock coil(10 pulse delay, gb off), result: solid 17 inches

6th test- Minelab Gpx 4800 with stock commander dd coil, result: solid 14 inches

my thoughts: i saw the vaquero got good results in the air but at the beach its a little too chatty to use, and prefer the sand shark for rainy conditions and beach. I was surprised the sovereign xs seems to be a hair better than the sov gt and gets really good air depth with the old 8'' coinsearch coil, i think its because the xs is using a better rechargable battery pack. The tdi pro runs so smooth indoors and seems to be a real coin killer. The gpx 4800 had me a bit let down as its a little too chatty indoors if not tuned properly and i played around with all different types of settings, i unplugged my wi fi as well... i turned gb off and iron reject off and the best possible result from different settings was a solid 14 inches, i think its because its running the stock commander dd coil, while the tdi pro has a better stock coil. Out of all these 6 detectors i think the most solidly built are the tdi pro and sand shark, possibly tomorrow i'll be testing all these again outside in my garden using the same coin

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air test and VS should never be typed together.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some interesting info there erte.

A trip to Batemans Bay ( Australia) today with the TDI Pro OZ and the 14 inch Coiltek Gold stalker Mono was interesting.
1. The Surf beach has been cleaned out by the locals and all I found were bottle tops, tent pegs and bobby pins.
2. the TDI was difficult to GB with the big mono. I did notice a lot of black sand which may have been churned up by recent rough seas and no amount of fiddling with the delay and GB could quieten the noise.
The non GB mode was unusable producing far too much ground noise.
3. There was some EMI and I had to run the Sens at approx 50%. So the 14 inch mono is a bit sens to EMI.
The coil is extremely sensitive and was achieving very good depth even at 50%. I also discovered that with the GB at 6 or less the sensitivity to low grade gold 9kt to 14kt gold rings dropped of noticeably and best result was had at a setting of 8 or higher and with the timing in the salt range. 15 to 20. This resulted in some slight noise from the salt but targets were audible.
My previous trip to the beach using the standard whites 14 inch coil achieved much more stable performance but less sensitivity.

I have not done any air testing but the TDI is clearly a very deep searching metal detector at the beach.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OOPS. Above should read "Standard Whites 12 inch single field mono)..Not 14 inch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread