PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`v been around... and have owned metal detectors for 49 years... sold face to face 1991 -2000.
First for me BFO just ticked,the closer to the target the faster it ticked...then Vlf TR one tone .
For a very long time most all U.S. detectors were 1 tone.... White, Garrett,Teknetics,Fisher... Not Just Tesoro... but one tone is a misnomer .
The single tone takes time to learn... and to the untrained ear would sound like Just Noise or just a beep...but to the trained ear that tone holds so much information.
The only way to get your ears tuned to the single tone is time and use ...tones have 3 parts start, middle and end,info in all three parts...no it`s not easy...but so worth while to learn.
Some customers learned faster that others...been around many and saw that look on their face when it clicked and they learned just what a single tone will do.
I used a Bounty Hunter Vlf TR, whites DI Pro 6000 SL and a Fisher CZ 5,6A and 7 Tek Condor for 15 years all single tone.
Everyone with the old Analog Single tones ...could tell pull tabs were pull tabs and coins were coins... or this great hobby would have never got anywhere close to as big as it is today.
I would say learn the machine before you try to compare them...then go into the wild... a cabin/cellar site and compare targets.
Gary

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Bounty Hunter Vlf TR, whites DI Pro 6000 SL and a Fisher CZ 5,6A and 7 Tek Condor for 15 years all single tone.

Fisher CZ5, 6A and 7 are three tone, not single.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, for all of us maddened compulsive consumers, (including myself), my daughter just bought a $39 "Star Wars Science" detector from a toy store and is tearing up the State of NY with it. She is doing very well. So much for technology. Be at the right place at the right time, dig it all.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well maybe i`m also getting to old to remember too !

Maybe you thought they were single tone as you were detecting so long ago the parks were filled with nothing but high tone silver coins ;-)

I can't be the only one who fantasizes about what it would be like to go detecting 50 years ago! Nothing but virgin ground!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also on some archery forums and I shoot only traditional bows....mainly old bear recurves and there is a very similar comparison there to the newest high tech compounds. But a trained traditional Archer is something to behold....not that I am the next Byron Ferguson, but I do see benefits from both.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe you thought they were single tone as you were detecting so long ago the parks were filled with nothing but high tone silver coins ;-)

I can't be the only one who fantasizes about what it would be like to go detecting 50 years ago! Nothing but virgin ground!!
Back then the parks and schools were not so littered with so much junk metal.
Analog with Concentric Coils separated the coins and jewelry from the pull tabs and bottle caps so much better,maybe that`s y there r so many pull tabs for the Digital machines and DD coils to find now...i know i did not dig many with the analog.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The single tone takes time to learn... and to the untrained ear would sound like Just Noise or just a beep...but to the trained ear that tone holds so much information.
The only way to get your ears tuned to the single tone is time and use ...tones have 3 parts start, middle and end,info in all three parts...no it`s not easy...but so worth while to learn.

Yes, exactly. Not something you can master in an afternoon.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The single tone takes time to learn... and to the untrained ear would sound like Just Noise or just a beep...but to the trained ear that tone holds so much information."

Sooooo true! I wish I could've filmed my Mentor (R.I.P. Tom) hunting with his Whites 5000D...he had about a 85-90% accuracy rate on calling his coins. He'd work that one tone for a few seconds and be able to determine the denomination and whether it was clad or silver, wheat or memorial, and be within a half inch or so of depth. It was jaw-dropping watching him. He'd miss on a few...but it was rare. Thanks to him, I got to the point where I could tell a dime from a quarter with my 6/DB, and pinpoint to coin-size spots...but when it came to one tone interpretation, he was King, imho.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate to say it I missed my old Whites 4000 D Series 3, found a ton of coins with that and lil trash as well knew a coin under the coil most of the time as well.

Cheers to you mate!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Yes this is an old thread but I'd like to add my 2 cents.
First I'm open to any make of detector and feel I'm pretty unbiased. Now I haven't used a Tesoro Vaquero but I own an Outlaw and know it like the back of my hand. Like any machine it takes X amount of time to learn. My Garrett's were easier to learn than my Explorer. That was a big learning curve for me but I eventually got there. The Outlaw had a little bit of a different type of learning curve.
I love my Outlaw and I loved my Explorer SE Pro. But since I hunt a lot of trashy areas the Explorer wasn't the greatest whereas the Outlaw kills it. It's even much better than my old GTI 2500. The recovery speed on the Outlaw in phenomenal.
The Outlaw might be a one tone machine but once you really know it, it'll surprise you. Like Dan B. said and I agree once you really know a Tesoro you can tell when moving the coil over a pull tab by the pop at the end. I've accurately identified rings by the fast double beep with the Outlaw but for the most part yes, to get gold rings you have to dig tabs.

An example of what I do on an old property loaded with trash and good targets. I hunt in all metal auto and switch it over to disc mode and thumb the disc knob. I might spend an extra couple of seconds doing this and no my thumb doesn't get worn out. I don't even have to look at my machine or think about it now it's very quick. It's become natural.

My next machine will be the Equinox 800 and can't wait to learn it and then compare with my Outlaw. By what I know about the Outlaw and from what I've seen from the Equinox, I'm going to be very happy.
Calabash Digger, I love your vids and won't knock you but in this one you know the Equinox much better than the Vaquero. I believe if you knew the Vaquero as well as the Equinox it would be closer.
The main thing is to have fun and enjoy this amazing hobby.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't like the 1 tone machine …..Just what I want to do thumb a disc knob all day were there are a 1000 targets in the ground. If you guys like doing that by all means keep on. BTW I would love to hunt with you guys and cross check some of those targets you guys called trash.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more I do this stuff the more I realize these machines are all just tools in the tool box. You don't use a torque wrench to losen lug nuts......but you surely can! My impact gun will do the same job in less than half the time. I wouldn't try getting an accurate torque # with an impact wrench.....different machines for different scenerios. I'm learning the EQ is a Swiss army knife of sorts though.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I just don't like the 1 tone machine …..Just what I want to do thumb a disc knob all day were there are a 1000 targets in the ground. If you guys like doing that by all means keep on. BTW I would love to hunt with you guys and cross check some of those targets you guys called trash.

That's fair enough, one tone certainly isn't for everyone. For me thumbing the disc only takes an extra second or two as I have it down pat. I use to hunt with 2 guys, one had an E-Trak, the other an F75. I didn't take any longer than they did from sweeping a target to having it dug and the hole filled properly.
My last pouch of trash pictured.

Attachments

• 20180821_170337.jpg
    20180821_170337.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions