PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very informative video, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I pretty much agree with your conclusion, and the point of the tone id benefits, you can still miss alot of gold unless you dig it all. With canslaw, and beaver tail pieces the numbers and tones can end up anywhere. I'll admit to getting lazy after I get tired of digging everything after awhile. Some days it pays off, some days it doesn't. Good video comparison though, I'm sure it will help people out on the fence about what features they need.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go to my four Civil War sites, I dig everything because they are in out of the way areas and about the only *trash* we ever get is a fired modern bullet or shotgun casing. Makes beep and go work very well. Note to self: beep and go not so good in parks.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CD, you mentioned the Tejon in a couple of those vids but the advantage with it is it has the alternate disc. and a quick flick of the trigger can give lots of info on a target. I agree the tesoro thumb roll seems like carburetor vs fuel injection!

Believe it or not the silvers I dug with my Tejon I had a pretty good idea it would be shiny. There is TONS of description in the tones on that thing. I don't have nearly enough hours on it to be super efficient using it but every time I take it out it seems to get the goodies.

I agree that the digital machines do offer an edge over the Tesoros in the way of tone info and also quicker, more efficient hunting. I've just come to the conclusion that you need to spend loads of time with any machine and dig a ton of holes in order to get really good with it.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you said you wanted to have an open discussion but if you were true to your title you would have talked about the pros and cons of beep and dig machines. I was expecting a comparison between those machines but, all i saw was a comparison of a beep and dig to a multi tone machine. Beep and dig machines have lots of pros and cons when compared to each-other as do multi tone Visual display machines.

Since you didn't mention any advantages of a beep and dig machine in your video, i would like to submit one.

Beep and dig is more than just hearing a tone and digging. A person with keen hearing and substantial time on an analog machine can in fact pick up on subtle differences in how a signal comes thru. Its kinda like analog recordings vs digital recordings. Their is something very different and real in what you hear with analog. So, i do believe an experienced person with a beep and dig machine can in fact pass over the pull tabs and find the ring you had in the container. I do not have those skills but back in my younger days i could tell the difference between a quarter and a dime with extraordinary accuracy. I don't know how i did it but i just knew.

That said, the video itself was very well put together. I did enjoy it and you pointed out some very important differences between the two types of detectors. I love both my beep and dig and multi tone machines and both have a place in my arsenal. I am looking forward to adding another machine in the very near future and as you know, I am still undecided on the nox over the Kruzer

Keep the videos coming!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you said you wanted to have an open discussion but if you were true to your title you would have talked about the pros and cons of beep and dig machines. I was expecting a comparison between those machines but, all i saw was a comparison of a beep and dig to a multi tone machine. Beep and dig machines have lots of pros and cons when compared to each-other as do multi tone Visual display machines.

Since you didn't mention any advantages of a beep and dig machine in your video, i would like to submit one.

Beep and dig is more than just hearing a tone and digging. A person with keen hearing and substantial time on an analog machine can in fact pick up on subtle differences in how a signal comes thru. Its kinda like analog recordings vs digital recordings. Their is something very different and real in what you hear with analog. So, i do believe an experienced person with a beep and dig machine can in fact pass over the pull tabs and find the ring you had in the container. I do not have those skills but back in my younger days i could tell the difference between a quarter and a dime with extraordinary accuracy. I don't know how i did it but i just knew.

That said, the video itself was very well put together. I did enjoy it and you pointed out some very important differences between the two types of detectors. I love both my beep and dig and multi tone machines and both have a place in my arsenal. I am looking forward to adding another machine in the very near future and as you know, I am still undecided on the nox over the Kruzer

Keep the videos coming!

Well said and I couldn't agree more! One thing I notic too when using beep and dig is you do dig more targets but sometimes that's not a bad thing! Occasionally when the digital machine is reading iffy the analog is saying dig me and it ends up being treasure! I feel most machines do all have their strengths and weaknesses......and let's face it, the minelab is a superb unit there is no debating that and to test a detector that's been on the market for 10+ years vs something brand spanking new is like trying to convince a 2018 corvette is more car than a 2005. It's obvious and technology is showing through.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree that the Equinox at 600 odd dollars is good and I would like to play with one for a while. but a Safari, SST, XLT, any of the Explorer series and even an ole Sov XS with TID meter can do most of what the Equinox can do......Weeeel almost.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found your videos very informative but one sided. I do like minelab and all but have seen the same test done by the manufactures of the machines you pitted the Nox against and your test are flawed. I will give the Nox a thumbs up. But you failed to show how the fbs better id's a target. Maybe I missed something, but there was problems with the comparison that I think real world digs would reveal. DrTones gave 10 reasons as to why to buy a Nox, I would base your videos on those ten points. I do believe the bar has been set, and the Nox of either model will perform without fail. Please keep making videos as I dont see too many want to watch, but I will be watching your videos in the future.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Equinox 800 ordered but I can tell you that my Tejon ain't goin anywhere.....still my pick for civil war sites and field hunting. Takes some time to learn how to get the most out of a Tejon and it is different than a Vaquero or any other tesoro so I pay no attention to people comparing it to other machines since most people don't put alot of hours in to learn these machines.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fair test would require an equal amount of hours and effort put into all contenders. You can't take a detector that you are proficient with and compare it to a machine you borrowed and played around with for an afternoon. You spend a couple months with a Tesoro, learn what it's telling you then come back and compare. Until then, these tests are just filler used to push your "My way or the highway" attitude.
I will give you kudos however for having a better attitude toward the Vaquero in your video. Unlike the Garrett comparisons, your bias is better hidden.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Equinox 800 ordered but I can tell you that my Tejon ain't goin anywhere.....still my pick for civil war sites and field hunting. Takes some time to learn how to get the most out of a Tejon and it is different than a Vaquero or any other tesoro so I pay no attention to people comparing it to other machines since most people don't put alot of hours in to learn these machines.

I've dug items at unspeakable depths with my Tejon and 10x12. Also dug one of my better slivers with it too. It's one heck of a unit for 600 bucks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1774 Gold Guinea was dug with a Tesoro Cibola, and I also dug almost 100 pewter Revolutionary War buttons with it and its predecessor. My one Civil War site make a VDI machine useless. In a 10' x 20' area there will be several hundred targets, and in the midst of them Civil War buttons, bullets, coins, etc.

The VDI machines are useless there as are coil sizes above 10". First the targets have to be there, then the coil has to go over them, then dig it!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fair test would require an equal amount of hours and effort put into all contenders. You can't take a detector that you are proficient with and compare it to a machine you borrowed and played around with for an afternoon. You spend a couple months with a Tesoro, learn what it's telling you then come back and compare. Until then, these tests are just filler used to push your "My way or the highway" attitude.
I will give you kudos however for having a better attitude toward the Vaquero in your video. Unlike the Garrett comparisons, your bias is better hidden.

Yeah right... so a guy needs to run a machine for a few hundred hours to be able to swing it over some targets in a test garden. I got howto set up the machine from Monte , Keith southern, and Terry Solomans videos too. Also the experts were asked on another forum too. I told them what I was doing.. It ain t rocket science to power balance it and take off. I like the way you use the word BIAS..... I test a detector over some targets one does better than the other...it is what it is. My comparisions are based on overall performance test results. ALL detectors will find stuff including your beloved garrets but some just pull ahead over the others. If you guys like tesoros that's your business... they are beep and dig detectors and do not give a lot of info on the targets in the ground except for a few nuances in the 1 tone system.

Why don t you make us some test videos showing what I showed to be false Dan B ??? Some detectors are very basic Tesoro and garrets being two of them and it don't take a 1000 hours to figure out to cut them on and balance them and cut the sensitivity up...

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a serious question for all you guys above. I got 2 detectors both will smack a 10 inch silver dime but one will tell me a high percentage of the time its a silver coin set up in a factory setting where it has great discrimination. The other has to be tweaked in a way so it can see the silver coin and loses it discrimination capabilities at depth because of this and cant tell you if its a shotgun shell or a dime..

Which detector is better for digging deep coins???? ALSO which detector is better period?

If you have to dig everything you will eventually find something good , a blind squirrel finds a acorn every now and then..

For a relic site without much modern trash not a big deal but throw in some trash and it becomes a major factor...

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the Equinox at 600 odd dollars is good and I would like to play with one for a while. but a Safari, SST, XLT, any of the Explorer series and even an ole Sov XS with TID meter can do most of what the Equinox can do......Weeeel almost.[/QUOT

How do you know ? Whats that statement based on? Nox probably most videoed detector EVER and I aint seen to many videos of it getting smoked to much... I have friends taking them back to their etac and ctx pounded parks and finding some great finds they missed. Does it ID as good as those detectors on deep silver? No ...but it has a unmasking advantage over those. If a machine cant see it ,it cant ID it.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let's just leave it at this.

The equinox is the more efficient machine. I don't think anyone can argue that.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had sovereigns and explorers and liked them for areas with minimal to maybe moderate trash, but the truth is they were just to slow. That is where the equinox is going to stomp them.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't feel that any of calabash's video comparisons are really bias....the equinox is undoubtedly an all around better detector than any Tesoro. It is new technology at it's finest. My earlier post about the Vaquero and Tejon was simply stating that in my experience the Tejon out performs the vaq in most situations, especially when iron trash is a problem. I am in no way saying it will out perform an equinox. I will keep my Tejon because when I am hunting a field with civil war relics like a camp site, I dig everything other than nails....that is where the Tejon really shines....FOR ME. It's deep and I can tell with about 90% accuracy on deep targets whether they are really non ferrous or just a rusty nail falsing.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see where a tejon could be good for that... I would use a one tone or two tone analog IF it has superior unmasking capabilities. The tejon and vaquero will kill the Nox on a down the barrel test .... What about 3 d nail test though? I didnt find the vaquero to be superior in unmasking in that scenario actually just the opposite on low to mid conducters... So if a Tesoro has superior unmasking in 3 d senarios I could see where it would be useful... but if its about the same and in this case not as good in some circumstances . WHY in the world would I give up a detector that's gives so much info to use a one tone beep and dig detector? That's just my take on it and yours maybe different and that's ok..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions