test gardens and detector comparisions.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'll be the first to say I don't do enough research.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you on a lot of these points but a manually buried coin will never behave the same as a natural target Imo. So, the results from the test garden could be flawed from the get go.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well. coins get moved about quite often by many means including dozers etc so I can easily see that there are too factors involved to safely declare exactly how a coin test garden could be flawed. I figure every coin has it's own story as to how it got to where it was and how it got covered by the dirt above it. I also figure that after a few years, the ground naturally packs harder unless it is sand based and even then it can be to some degree. add clay to the mixture and this can alter depth etc. plus, not all soils are going to have the same results do to their makeup. to me, any coin that has been buried for a year should react a little differently than it will several years down the road. I know that around here where I live, a garden spot not used for around 8-10 years needs to be broken with something other than a tiller. but not land is the same and some spots may still be tillable even then. To me, not an exact science but.... a test garden is still better than air testing in my book

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that all before about it not acting the same. I have dug many silvers ,copers, and large cents. Guess what they acted the same as the ones I have in my garden. I buried a fresh silver dime awhile back
to test the Nox on . Guess what went to a plantation and dug two silver dimes and called them before the dig. Why ? How? They acted the same as the one in my garden. I dig old coins pretty regular around here and what your talking about I have not seen.

How does a long buried coin act differently than a freshly buried coin?? How long does it have to be buried to act different? On my machines 200 year old coins sound the same in my garden as they do in the field. I would like to see a video showing how long buried coins act different than freshly buried ones.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that all before about it not acting the same. I have dug many silvers ,copers, and large cents. Guess what they acted the same as the ones I have in my garden. I buried a fresh silver dime awhile back
to test the Nox on . Guess what went to a plantation and dug two silver dimes and called them before the dig. Why ? How? They acted the same as the one in my garden. I dig old coins pretty regular around here and what your talking about I have not seen.

How does a long buried coin act differently than a freshly buried coin?? How long does it have to be buried to act different? On my machines 200 year old coins sound the same in my garden as they do in the field. I would like to see a video showing how long buried coins act different than freshly buried ones.

Remember not everyone has primo Calabash soil..

I've dug plenty of shallow silver dimes that sounded nothing like my buried silver rosie.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every hunt is my test garden!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know soil is a variable and it might be different n other part of the country. In my soil really no difference but I would like to see how does in hotter soil.
My garden is pretty much the same soil I hunt in so I guess I got it lucky on that end.

If you run across a video of a test garden compared to coins in the wild please shoot me the link.

I do have question though. If coins sound so different up there how do coin shooters up there ID there coins? Is the difference dramatic or minimal?

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I know soil I a variable. In my soil really no difference but I would like to see how does in hotter soil.
My garden is pretty much the same soil I hunt in so I guess I got it lucky on that end.

If you run across a video of a test garden compared to coins in the wild please shoot me the link.

I do have question though. If coins sound so different up there how do coin shooters up there ID there coins? Is the difference dramatic or minimal?

Majority of signals are spot on. I'm referring to the small few that dont.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you say may be true and helpful to those who have conditions that are stable and don't go further than their front porch to detect but, i believe the best tool for learning how a target acts under the coil is to know your detector and adjust as needed.

Its called swing time and nothing can prepare you better for your next hunt than the 50 hunts you had before.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just have to agree with Nasa Tom and his write up. This is one hobby with infinite variables that can change at any given time. It's probably what keeps us coming back!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct that swing time is the most important thing BUT …. If you don't have your machine set up correctly and a number of other things can hurt or hamper your swing time . Test garden invaluable imo for learning HOW your machine acts and also how to setup your machine for the targets your looking for. A invaluable starting point that can be tweaked in the field if need be. Going to the field with a new machine or even a machine that you had without running thur a garden to see how its on desired targets is backing up...…..

I don't just hunt in my yard look at the 160 or so hunt videos I have posted. Not all my soils are the same as my yard but close in my area and I just make adjustments as needed but the garden has been a invaluable tool in my detecting career. If you guys don't think testing your detector is important hey that's your business. For me proofs in the pudding and I firmly believe that some of the finds I have made were a direct result of the test garden and TESTING my detectors.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we must remember that not all test gardens are created equal, some have more thought put into them than others while a few may have too much thought put into them. Personally, I don't have any ground that I can dig with out using a tractor with post hole digger to get thru the rock and clay etc. Then, there is the very iffy problem that guys like me have..... I would have to have a permanent marker at each location telling me what was buried there because I would forget everything. I would love to have such a test garden though, it would have sped up a lot of my learning the deus as I learned the machine. (still learning.)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the well done video! :occasion14:

I use a test garden to adjust machines for maximum performance in my soil conditions! It is also important to understand each adjustment and how they interact with others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread