Equinox wearing 6” coil vs Deus, Etrac and Impact

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put whatever stock you choose into this supplied info..

First test down the barrel of nail using clad dime. Ruler in pic to show nail size and orientation.

Nox in gold 1 passes test speeds 5-8, iron bias 0-1.
Park 2 gives trailing tone off the left.

Deus using elliptical coil fails all freq except 74khz band.

Impact using 4x7 coil passes 20khz only.

I like reporting of Nox better here than Impact though.
This just took the beginning of testing., more later.

ff1ttk.jpg

Another pic.
Nail suspended two 2x4 thick over clad dime.
Sweeping across nail lengthwise.

Nox 800 using park 2speed 7 nails dime and IDs accurately -25 in the window.

Impact using 14khz don’t like, using 20khz hits but a user has no clue to targets conductivity level.
Deus hits using elliptical Hf coil, no ID at all until I lowered reactivty to 2, and ID here not accurate.

xqaohw.jpg

Another test.
Nail suspected above clad dime sweeping down nail longways to detect dime. Notice just one 2x4 thickness high for the nail.
jr896e.jpg

Nox using gold 1 jumps on this dime using speed 7 iron bias 0.
I should mention sweeping all nails previously solo with Nox, even at iron bias 0 quiet.
Park 2 speed 7 hits the dime too not as well (more coil sweep speed sensitive vs gold 1 mode.
Both modes yielded 17 in the meter.

Impact only chirps on the dime, in a site with a lot of iron, a user just might walk right by.

Deus using 14.4khzwas tied up in knots. Fail.
Using 28.8khz is a pass. Better use no reactivty lower than 2.5 though or you might miss.
Deus tests was disc at 6.2 pitch tones.

All detectors ground balanced to concrete sterile steps.
No trick boys and girls.
I just report what I see.

Anyone needed more info a far as setting used any detector feel free to ask and i’ll Try an answer.
Btw my Nox 800 unit, a full factory reset done as soon as coil was on.
So so far I have have done is played with speed and iron bias setting.

Another test with pic.
2z7immt.jpg

That’s a big nail suspended 2 boars thickness high.
Sweeping down nail lengthways to detect nickel.
In configuration shown both gold 1and Park 2speed 5-7 gives good 2 way hit signal, 5is the shakiest though of the bunch.
Amazing how hast I can swing and hit the nickel.

Impact hit using 20khz, tone not as pure sounding as Nox though.
Deus hits using both 14.4 kHz and 28.8 kHz, gotta watch how low you set reactivty using lowest freq band.
Disc of 6.4used on Deus pitch tones, had to raid disc due to size of nail.

Some air test data.
Measured from top of coil.
Park 2 outside with single phase power lines nearby overhead. Noise cancel done.
Speed 7 iron bias 0
Clad dime approx 9”
Us nickel approx 11.5”

Speed 5 iron bias 0
Clad dime approx 10”
Us nickel approx 12”

Smaller coils performance on steel bottlecaps seems to be very similar to stock coil.

More info.
I like this coil!!!!

I did a few depth tests, not exactly scientific but will share. An almost 9”deep US nickel. Park 2 bingo. Gold 1 and even bigger BINGO. Could even get this nickel at speed 7 in both modes with advantage signal going to gold 1 mode.

A 7”deep clad dime.
Park 2 hits, need to be in speeds 4-6, speed 7 dodgy to nonexistant.
Gold 1 mode tried worse than park 2 by a good margin.

This small coil is a low conductor hound!!!
I compared Impact on both of the coins above using 4x7” elliptical coil.
Impact out of its league here.
Signals provided by Nox so much more pure sounding.
Something else to mention and I never saw this with Equinox and stock coil.
I could hit both coins using single freq ops.
The nickel I could get in 10,15,20and 40khz. Only problem was it would ID way high into upper 20s and 30s, flip to multi and Nox would ID as 10-12 on sweeps.
The 7”deep dime, would ID sing multi in the miss 220s to low 30s. Definitely telling me higher conductive target exist.

If we could devise a score card and measure every VLF detector’s attributes, it is my opinion right now just based off of what testing and small use I have done, Equinox 800and 6”coil would get a very high score. Could be the best score period. I haven’t run all detector models though.

I can I think too say, for folks living where soil minerals are even higher than mine, these folks will definitely have a ball with this coil.

I will do some more testing tomorrow.

The feel of Nox with 6”coil is nice. A person can extend rod a bit and rock and roll.

More testing.
I have commented on the use of single freq ops before here when talking about Equinox and stock coil, in particular the use of 5khz.

See this pic.
2ykx5s1.jpg

Goal to sweep across all the coins and see if Equinox will give me clue to higher conductive coin.
So does it?
It sure does.
Key is to run single freqs ops at 5khz really any of the field or park detect modes.
Conductivity levels ID use noted 20-22 with coil, GET this height as high as 6” above coins, sweep speed extremely forgiving.
I could hear using 50 tones easy.
I could hear running 5 tones with tone break for high tone at 19 extremely well.

Maybe folks don’t think this is extraordinary.
So what about Etrac and 6”exclellerstor coil? A user is SOL unless the basically brush the coins to hear clue of higher conduction (dime in this example). Btw conductive range of 25-30 witnessed on sweeps.
I highly suspect CTX would fair no better. Don’t have one currently.
Speed 5 also tested using Nox, again great clues provided to high conductive coin.

What about Impact with its 2”narrower coil 4x7”elliptical.
Using 5 kHz if you brush the coins you’ll hear the dime tonally otherwise user SOL.

Imagine how many higher conductive coins have been passed with other detectors where a nickel was masking high conductor throwing ID into la la land hence the detectorist walks thinking junk medium conductor.
Due to averaging objects conductive wise.
Folks should try this test by placing nickels close to clad dime and see what you get.
Those nickels in pic are REAL close to the dime.
Have another test to post shortly.
I should sayand this may not make much sense when I say this.
The test above although it is the dime Inwas trying to detect.
There is a very good chance a person could dig both a higher conductive coin as well as a colocated nickel.
This will become more evident when I post another test in a few minutes.

Another test. Note pic.
2edrzig.jpg

A clad dime and 2 pieces of sizeable foil. Parts of the foil are actually above plane of clad dime.
Again Nox using 5khz freq ops is the performer here. With very good coil height above scenario.
Etrac with 6”coil again a user must brush coil to hear the dime.
Impact IDs with coil height using 5 kHz unnormalized VDI at 33 a far cry from a high conductor ID.
Nox is smacking the dime with 23-24 ID even at coil height again with grand forgiveness with sweep speed.

I don’t want to mislead folks here. The Nox signal on dime in the above scenario as well as the previous is being affected by the lower conductor present. But just seems like it is affected less so. Granted a more compressed ID scale is likely partially responsible too. But I do think the way the Equinox is behaving here is very conducive to giving a user some real potential in junky sites to find higher conductors.

Another test.
rm77lg.jpg

Two ring pulls on each side of dime.
Sweeping Etrac and 6”coil FAILS, even when trying to brush the scenario with coil. Btw conductive levels noted in screen were anyway from 05 to 30 depending on sweep.
Impact with real close sweeps I can hear tiny clues of possible higher conductor lurking.
At 4” of coil height above scenario above using Imapct ID in meter is 33, again a far cry from high conductor ID wise.

Now using single freq ops of 5 kHz IDs scenario as 20-21 with an occasional 19. At 4” coil height gives very good clue of high conductive coin lurking. Again sweep speed very forgiving.

Now how about if we do a test of ring pull with beaver tail attached?
I have done.
Equinox here does not fair so well compared to the other test ran above, lousy actually when compared.

I think it is a safe bet now to say.
Folks wanting to squeeze out so:e higher conductive coins, even clad out of modern trash sites. Using 5khz single freq ops can have benefits. Just don’t forget about those bottle caps. Using 5khz they will, sing out but can we weeeded out by toggling to multi freq and notice the drop in ID. Actually in the scenarios above, if a person checks these with multi freqs after locating with 5khz the opposite will happen, meaning an overall lower ID presented in meter. Folks should use all the tools Equinox provides. Menu is easy to navigate around in when doing. Seems runninga tone break using 5 kHz around 19 is a good way to go in polluted trashy sites.

Recognize this pic.
2j2jafk.jpg

Basically the same as one of the above expect a nail in introduced into scenario.
Does 5khz perform well here, as good as noted above?
No

Here the use of 5khz really mimicks ID wise the same as using mulit freq. So iron is the fly in the ointment so to speak.
Btw ID readings observed of 16-18 on above scenario.

Let’s introduce the third dimension here.
A pic of 2 US nickels above plane of clad dime.
30wm345.jpg

Park 2 5khz single freq used.
Speed 5 fails to detect.
Speed 6 detects coil sweep speed somewhat sensitive.
Speed 7 and 8 nice signal with very forgiving swing speed.
Five tones used with 19 as tone break for highest tone.
Nickel portion audio wise detecting scale set to zero volume.

Btw mulit freq tested on scenario using Nox, no way to discern clad dime exist.

Etrac with 6” excellerator coil tried. Only time it passes if I practically brush the nickels with coil, otherwise FAIL.
Impact not tried.

Another test.
Some folks might still be thinking Etrac and other fbs or fbs2units rank supreme on higher conductors. In some instances YES but certainly not all.
Seems Nox may have advantage sometimes.

A pic.
fuc9l0.jpg

Beaver tail only suspended above and off side of clad dime. Distance. of two 2x4s thinkness for height.

Nox using single freqs 5khz speed 7 I can hear this dime using 5 tones with tone break at 19, only with coil approaching fro the left in pic.
Repetitive hit too when approaching Fromm the right.. Definitely something I would investigate.
Etrac with 6”excelerator user is SOL, nothing even close tonally to tell me dime exist.

Another test.
See this pic.
This pic doesn’t show the test but what was used. One clad dime and 4 nickels.
jtkymf.jpg

Some intersting results.

First off Etrac wearing 6”excellerstor coil. Deep off fast on.
Nickle swept solo reads 13 conductive. Clad dime reads conductive # 43.

Now if I place one nickle squarely on top of dime and sweep.
Etrac conductive number reads 37- very near zincoln range.
If I add nickel on top (total of 2) etrac conductive number reads 34.
If I add a third nickel etrac’s conductive number reads 31.

Now the Equinox 800 using single freq 5khz speed 7.
Nickel solo reads 13,clad dime reads 26.

If I place one nickle on top of clad dime and sweep with Nox meter says 25.
If I add another nickle on top (total of 2) Equinox’s meter reads 24.
I I add a third nickle on top (total of 3) Equinox’s meter reads 23.

As a side note hear.
How does Equinox read if I contineunto stack nickels only (no clad dime).
Btw my tone break is at 20for high tone using 5 tones.

One nickle reads 13
Add one it reads 17
Add another it reads 19, i get no tone obviously.
If i add one more (total of for nickels in stack) meter reads 20and inget tone.

How does Nox Impact wearing elliptical small football coil react?
Running in DI99 mode 0 disc, unnormalized vdi selected, 5khz used.
Solo nickel reads 20/21
Solo clad dime reads 58
Place one nickle on top of dime meter reads 53/53
Add another nickle (2 total) meter reads 47
Add a third nickel (3 total) meter reads 44.

Just thought I would share

So some may think these tests, they don’t apply in the real world detecting.
I’ll let folks decide for themselves. I have my thoughts, and i wouldn’t do them if i thought they didn’t have some good meaning.

Note this pic.
8xsb5f.jpg

You see the US nickel laying on the ground.
Under the paltic cap (approx) is a 5”deep clad dime I buried a few weeks ago.
The ruler is in pic to show basically the sweep angle needed to detect dime (give me good clue higher comductor exist.
Scenario swept with all detectors noted with ruler and cap removed as they contain metal.
Disclaimer here: I cannot be certian this area ia a sterile envionment metal wise besides the coins mentioned. But all detectors weere sujected to the same condirional scenaeio.

Nox 800 all park and field modes tried using multi freq. No cigar.
Use of 5khz hits the dime well with 23-25 in the meter.
Use of 10khz hits too, but a bit more dodgy than 5khz with ID a few points lower. The other freqs a no go for good ID, meaning they son’t give me clue of higher conductor.

Etrac wearing 6” excellerator coil. Fast on deep off, i get little small spirts occassionally of somewhat higher tone on controlled sweeps showing conductice numbers in the 30s with highest noted 35, most times 32/33 displayed.

Nokta Impact with small football coil, it will give me clue of higher conductor using 5khz as long I keep the toe of coil off of the nickel. It reads 61/62 most sweeps which is a bit high ID wise for clad dime ( air test 58).

Another test.
Real simple one.
Etrac and Equinox compared. Both wearing 6”coils.

2i09pgj.jpg

Nail is around 2.25” long.
You see the clad dime.
Sweeping over nail and coin, try to get a strike nonferrous tone wise.

Etrac will give clue of actual higher conductive coin, with very controlled sweeps.
Special note here. You run run ferrous disc too high (black in the screen) you can miss even with the best of swings over this dime. Setting ferrous to the lines of 25-27 yielded best signal. Not near as good a signal though as the mighty Nox.

Equinox only park 2 detect mode tested.
Single freq ops, user more or less SOL, occassionally a one way lower tone.
Mulit freq here folks isnwhere the action is. Equinox sounds off strongly on dime at sppeds 6 and 7. Speed 5 dodgy and disn’t try speed 8.
Mulit freq acts a lot like Nail not even there.
Id of 18-22 noted in meter.

Another test similar to the above test yet more difficult.
33wwot1.jpg

With factory default disc in each of the following detect modes tested, detector quiet when nails without dime are swept.
Park 2 multi freq gives good 2way hits speeds 6 and 7, 5 is sweep critical, didn’t try speed 8.
Single freq ops.
5khz a no go.
All the other single freqs would only yield one way hit. If I slowed way down sweep wise sometimes 40 khz would yield 2 way signal.
Mulit freq use provided 17-21 in meter.

Iron bias set to 0 in all testing on the above.
Using multi freq, chedked park 1and 2 as well as Field 1 and 2.
All run in 50 tones.
Park 1 the least performer.
The other 3 detect modes did very well.
If I had to pick the best one it would be park 2.

So how about Etrac and 6”coil.
It will give me clues of dime existence.
Key is keep ferrous down to 25-27, you bump ferrous up to 23, spells trouble for detection.

Nokta Impact wearing small football coil.
Passes very well here.
Actually it imo does the best here as far as tonal presenation and ID on dime (combined). All freqs checked all passed.
Equinox gives best tonal presentation overall.
But ID not as accurate.
Remember Impact’s coil here is 2” narrower.

Let’s see how the Nox and small coil do in airtest on these 2 rings.
One is bigger man’s ring 14k.
The other a woman’s ring 10k.

2gv0eox.jpg

Park 2 tested speed 6.
Noise cancel done.
Sens at 24
Rings were swept with opening of ring facing coil, same plane.
Big ring signaled to distance of 14” approx.
Woman’s ring signaled to a distance of 11.5” approx

Sens at level 20.
Bigger ring signaled to approx 12”
Smaller ring signaled to approx 10”

Last edited:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nicely done! So if I'm hearing ya right, you're saying that 5kHz is tearing it up better on silver in most instances than multifrequency? Btw, that coil... ain't she a beauty? :)

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nicely done! So if I'm hearing ya right, you're saying that 5kHz is tearing it up better on silver in most instances than multifrequency? Btw, that coil... ain't she a beauty? :)

Not necessarily in most instances, but if lower nonferrous is present using 5khz could have advantage to muliti frequency.
concession stands, bleachers, etc.

How many other detectors that run at 5khz or lower and is as fast and has a small coil.
And if we throw in mulit freq, how many detectors are as deep with a 6” coil??
Gold modes can defintiely unlock some nonferrous, deus can’t do. And many others.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If I'm going to hunt targets in parking lots on concrete, I'd sale my machine and buy a comfortable pair of tennis shoes. Did you GB on concrete? No mineralization on concrete. How did you figure sens. We all have seen some of these tests. Was reactivity the same on the Deus on every test? I admire your effort but hunting in soil is different than in a parking lot. In most cases in my opinion, it's the operator, not the machine.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
On one of my first hunts using the big coil I opened a hole that had a buff, a war nickel and a decent sized piece of rusty iron in it.
I was using multi Q at the time.
This was in a very tiny front lawn on my block in the same exact area and space I had been over at least a few dozen times or more using 4 other detectors and several different coils.
I never heard a peep or any indication from any of them because if I had I would have dug them.
Even though most of the time I avoid digging all but the more solid high percentage better signals because I just hate wasting time digging trash, in these lawns I tend to dig a whole lot more of even the more iffy signals because most of them are virgin sites and there is still heavy mineralization and a lot of iron so masking is a major problem.
When I went over this space with the Nox I got a solid, for sure dig me solid tone on that I had to go after.
It was still a bit jumpy because of the different mix of metals but nobody in their right mind would have passed by if they got a signal like this using any detector.
I was stunned when pulled the iron and the two nickels out if this hole.

I can only assume using the smaller coil here and maybe along with that lower single frequency this signal might have been even better...there might be tons more quality targets hiding and masked that this small coil will make it much easier to find.
I am on several lists for that smaller coil and I am excited to see if this is true.

Thanks for the intensive testing.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm going to hunt targets in parking lots on concrete, I'd sale my machine and buy a comfortable pair of tennis shoes. Did you GB on concrete? No mineralization on concrete. How did you figure sens. We all have seen some of these tests. Was reactivity the same on the Deus on every test? I admire your effort but hunting in soil is different than in a parking lot. In most cases in my opinion, it's the operator, not the machine.

That’s it you need a pair of tennis shoes.

Seriously these test not tesr detector’s ability to handle mineralized soil, but if a detector doesn’t do very well with little mineral, how would it get any better if we added mineral.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one of my first hunts using the big coil I opened a hole that had a buff, a war nickel and a decent sized piece of rusty iron in it.
I was using multi Q at the time.
This was in a very tiny front lawn on my block in the same exact area and space I had been over at least a few dozen times or more using 4 other detectors and several different coils.
I never heard a peep or any indication from any of them because if I had I would have dug them.
Even though most of the time I avoid digging all but the more solid high percentage better signals because I just hate wasting time digging trash, in these lawns I tend to dig a whole lot more of even the more iffy signals because most of them are virgin sites and there is still heavy mineralization and a lot of iron so masking is a major problem.
When I went over this space with the Nox I got a solid, for sure dig me solid tone on that I had to go after.
It was still a bit jumpy because of the different mix of metals but nobody in their right mind would have passed by if they got a signal like this using any detector.
I was stunned when pulled the iron and the two nickels out if this hole.

I can only assume using the smaller coil here and maybe along with that lower single frequency this signal might have been even better...there might be tons more quality targets hiding and masked that this small coil will make it much easier to find.
I am on several lists for that smaller coil and I am excited to see if this is true.

Thanks for the intensive testing.

You are welcome.
You are on Equinox person I am following closely as far as Nox use, finds and commentary.
Your soil is nasty.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to test more today, comparing Gold 1 and Gold 2 modes.
Come up this this here test that’s interesting and may shed light on the power of multi freq using Equinox.
This pic here.
2cd7cr6.jpg

See that little star. I found some time ago with Equinox using stock coil running multi freq in a rough iron site.
Factory default disc used in all detect modes.
Testing as shown in pic. Single freq you can forget about hitting confirmed by magnet nonferrous little star with small loop with this with 6” Nox coil using single freq ALL. Not even a whimper any detect mode. Multi freq gives me good one way tone coming from the right. Gold modes occasionally gives me 2way signal.
I can’t even rotate around scenario using single freq 40 kHz and acquire a signal. Where multi freq ops tags it.
Will post more here today with no bumping.

Another pic.
f23spc.jpg

That’s a big nail and clad nickel in pic.
You see the boards stacked and the rule put in to show estimated height.
Sweeping left to right and vice versa, down the barrel.
I can hear the nickel using 40khz single freq, not mulit freq any detect mode with any setting useable in the field I can find.

Single freq 40khz, could it find you something in a site multi freq won’t?o
My testing suggests YES. But remember soil minerals here not in play really.
Folks especially using Nox in milder soil I think should be using occasionally in sites that have produced in the past.
Remember not many other models detector offered run at such a high frequency.
Using 20khz in the test above a NO PASS.
I can even remove a board and try 20 kHz and it is a FAIL.

Another pic.
6r0t48.jpg

A nail and clad dime.
All I did was compared Gold 1 and Gold 2 detect modes.
Sweeping above the stacked boards down the nail barrel.
Facctory default disc and sensitivty.
Speed 6 multi frequency used.
Iron biased adjusted.

Iron bias = or greater than 5 = fail both detect modes.
I compared both in detail using iron bias 4, I even lowered sens from default setting of 20 to 16.
I saw no differences here on how each mode performed on this ONE test.

Another pic.
2vj7kzt.jpg

Just a small piece of foil if you can see it. It’s in front of the number 6 on ruler.
Sweeeping above the boards comparing gold 1 and 2 detect modes multi freq.
Again factory disc, iron bias left at 0, speed 6.
Both modes generate a weak signal. I even lowered sens to 14 where I could barely hear.
Both modes sound the same to me here with equivalent settings.
Again just one test. And this foil is just one shape reallly.
And ground mineralization here not figured in here like the real world.

Another pic.
A small 10k ladies ring on edge. No ferrous present.
Test conducted 90 degrees from view in pic with coil,sweeps.
2pzxjdv.jpg

I compared Gold 1 and 2 using multifreq.
Run each mode in default disc.
Speed 7
Varied sens, iron bias. Ran as low as sens level 13
I saw no difference in signal obtained comparing the modes.
Btw, signal sounds the same with iron bias at 0 and at max, when sweeping over the top of boards in pic.

Another pic.
Look near dime, a #6 shot out of shotgun shell.
Can’t say exactly what is is made of totally.
b7cqh5.jpg

Interesting results here.
I did airtest using #6 shot a few days ago.
In the pic as shown(obviously with dime removed), Nox gives nowhere the depth of airtest.
Ground balance using gold modes comes in at 33 and 34depwnding on mode.
I got curious place shot on top of sterile tall cardboard box, then I saw disc the wise close to what I had seen when earlier airtesting.
So, I grab Deus and Hf at 28khz and GB over steps, 77 pops in window. Bobbing coil I get 5dots in window,
So seems the mineral in the steps deemed medium mineralizarion is indeed working on the Nox being able to detect at coil height vs

A couple pics here.
w6ru3l.jpg

The pic above there is actually a clad dime in behind the nickel. You’ll have to take my word for it. And the dime is resting on the step, meaning nickel height greater than dime.
Next pic is where I push the boards together before I test.
ic450z.jpg

USing multifreq park and field modes ID presented is 13/14 on sweeps.
Using 5khz single freq I get 24/25 on sweeps, with higher coil height 24 the predominate ID given.
Clad dime swept solo in pic with 5 khz reads 26.
What about the mighty Etrac wearing 6”coil, deep off fast on?
A good signal with 30-31 for conductive number on sweeps.

Another pic. Replace nickel with pull ring. Dime is in behind ring grounded. Will push the boards together and sweep.
v3q3qq.jpg

Using multi freqs all Park and field modes I get a 14/15ID in the meter.
Using 5 kHz I get 21/22 ID with close sweeps near and even at coil height.
Mighty Etrac gives a hard 25 hard conductive number on sweeps.

Some other combos tested on edge and grounded.
Quarter and nickel.
Etrac not fooled here, gives 48 conductive.
Nox not fooled either using multi freq or 5 kHz.

Quarter sandwiches beteween 2 nickels.
Etrac gives dime ID.

Nox gives dime ID 25/26 using park 2 multi (only one I checked) and 5khz gives quarter ID of 30.

Folks can run their Noxes anyway they desire.

Here’s some good info though I think.
Might limit one’s diggin and put them on gold ring. A good ring they may otherwise walk right by.
See this pic.
15q6tj8.jpg

Now most folks when they think gold whatever they think higher freqs. It is true higher freqs hit gold better generally, but is also hits other junk, namely foil.

That’s a ladies 10k ring pictured on that foil younsee. Foil is fairly sizeable too.

You hit that scenario with multifreq, oh it hits it alright with ID of 3/4.
I tried park 2 only.
What about 5 kHz?
It hits the scenario and gives a 6 or 7 ID. Closer to actual ID of ring solo 9/10 when swept.
I even went to 5 tones and set my bin to break at 6.
5 and below I sweep I set to no tone and get great high tone.
Use of 10khz here seems to work well here, but in the wild it may put you on some bigger foil odds wise bs 5khz. But you may get more depth with

Another pic.
efnypy.jpg

That ball of foil you see, is a balled up 12” by 12” piece of Reynolds foil. Balled up sorta tight, or overly compressed.

The ring in pic a 10k ladies ring.

Comparing the signals on the foil vs the ring.
Park 2multi and 5khz used.
5khz here no help.
Ring and foil sound good.
Multi freq, this is where the action is.
Key is speed up detector.
When you speed up detector foil ID ranges jumps 3-4 numbers on sweeps.
The ring is a lock at 10.
Younslow the Nox down, both ID very similarly as far as ID jumping goes, meaning both don’t jump much at all.
Speed 7,and especially speed 8 shines here. Speeds 5 and 6 no nos.

Another pic.
22gmjd.jpg

This piece of foil a 6” by 6” balled up piece.
Using park 2 multi and comparing to the small 10k ring.
What stands out?
Using 50 tones ring is more monotone sounding. Foils has more notes in the music played. Like a half note on both sides of the main note.
Speed 6 used to listen.
Slow sweep key here to hear better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread