Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like all you new Minelab users better learn the wiggle method to hunt iron!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very interesting as usual and full of things to think about. maybe deus needs to consider a smaller coil as well

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could you imagine a Deus 6 inch hf coil?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

would be a game changer for deus and deus owners. crazy good, at least I would think it would be. even better separation in the iron. hope deus is listening.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would bet my Deus that will happen given Minelab making the 6" there first additional coil release... and if your video gets enough hits maybe it will be put on the fast-track.

I'm glad I watched it all the way through because I was sitting here thinking.... yep, just like I thought, my Equinox will collect dust as my 9" Deus coil clearly crushes it. But then that last test doesn't seem to leave much question that wiggling the coil will definitely see some targets the Deus won't, or any other detector with a larger coil. Minelab should thank you as they will sell at least one more 6" coil because you've made such a good case there's very good reason to go back over a site that you had left very quiet with a Deus. The surprising part is that really wasn't that much iron that affected the Equinox full swing and then the Deus on the last test. Shows how much is masked and missed.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a lot of targets missed and also hurts my feelings sometimes when I really think about it....lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice job, thank you for sharing!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't see it on the overlays but assume you were using Disc = 10 on Deus and All Metal on the Equinox. Just guessing, let me know if I have it wrong on discrimination. Thanks, CD.

The elliptical HF is pretty good but you can still get a lot of targets under the long active center region. Elliptical is a good tradeoff on coil weight, side-to-side swinging, and ground coverage. I nicknamed the Deus HF elliptical the laser pointer. The Equinox 6" though is the real laser pointer from my brief experience with it as it can sneak between some iron unlike the larger Deus coil (even the elliptical).

Speaking of audio, try doing the same test with Gold Mode which uses a VCO (pitch like) audio and see how it does.

Good video.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks will do.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet my Deus that will happen given Minelab making the 6" there first additional coil release... and if your video gets enough hits maybe it will be put on the fast-track.

I'm glad I watched it all the way through because I was sitting here thinking.... yep, just like I thought, my Equinox will collect dust as my 9" Deus coil clearly crushes it. But then that last test doesn't seem to leave much question that wiggling the coil will definitely see some targets the Deus won't, or any other detector with a larger coil. Minelab should thank you as they will sell at least one more 6" coil because you've made such a good case there's very good reason to go back over a site that you had left very quiet with a Deus. The surprising part is that really wasn't that much iron that affected the Equinox full swing and then the Deus on the last test. Shows how much is masked and missed.

Doubtful because XP is driven by the UK market (90% of sales) and they don't seem to be clamoring for them (they seem happy with the elliptical, I could be wrong though). Also, the expense of Deus coils would further suppress sales of what would be considered a specialty coil. I wish, but it likely won't happen for at least another year since they just released the X35 coils. We'll see.

Last edited:

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I've noticed with the nox, a few targets I've found were barely audible. Just a slight tone and it took the nox wiggle to make it any better tone. I had to walk around Target and force myself to work a better digable signal. It took a bit . I've noticed this on several occasions. So I sat nox down and turned on deus to basic 1 program all factory settings and it hit the target with a nice clear tone all the way around. This target was a 7-8 " wheaty . I did not try nox on single frequency which I should have. Also the nox was very chatty yesterday at a new park. Constantly beeping and noisy. Nothing worked to settle it down aside from running at 10 sensitivity. Also I had no phone on me. Deus ran smooth . I was perplexed.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my NOX 800 before the small 6in coil came out with the thought that maybe one day I would revisit it and see how the smaller coil was. Thanks Calabash you saved me some money, because from what I seen from your video my current detectors will outperform it with small coils. The DTVGG with super 6 coil will blow that test away with a beautiful high tone walking all around the target. Tabman has a video up on Friendly's in the Find's forum with the DTVSP with super six you should check out.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my NOX 800 before the small 6in coil came out with the thought that maybe one day I would revisit it and see how the smaller coil was. Thanks Calabash you saved me some money, because from what I seen from your video my current detectors will outperform it with small coils. The DTVGG with super 6 coil will blow that test away with a beautiful high tone walking all around the target. Tabman has a video up on Friendly's in the Find's forum with the DTVSP with super six you should check out.

True. Take any single test and you can always find a specialty detector that can run rings around the Equinox. That's why I also have the Deus with HF coil (compact, light, and up to 74 khz), an F75 (full range of DD and Concentric accessory coils), GPX (deep relics in highly mineralized ground) and ATX (water PI). Looks like you have the bases similarly covered.

DTVGG looks interesting, but I can't see myself spending that much on a single frequency HF only non-water machine with the Equinox already in hand and I don't have a lightweight machine that can do what the Equinox does in salt water. You implied you had more than one detector beside the DTVGG that had superior small coil performance, so if you have a multipurpose water machine in your lineup that has better small coil performance, I'm all ears. For example, how's the Multi Kruzer stack up? I have seen very few comparisons of the two and I find that strange. Thsnks.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a DTVGG with stock and super 6 coil for sale right now on another forum for 475. A pretty good deal. It is true that I use it as a specialty machine, a sort of find all non ferrous left type machine. It's not for some because it will make a 9in deep .22 lead bullet sound like a coin just 5in deep etc. With the Gain to high and you start finding bird shot, small flecks of lead etc so it's best to keep it in the 35 to 40 range.
The Kruzer wearing the 7in concentric coil in 2 tone with tone break at 8 does extremely well at the same test but doesn't fair as well with the 5in dd coil etc. I don't even take the 7in off the Kruzer. Now, if the kruzer didn't have the 7in concentric I would probably have sold it also etc. I did test the Kruzer with its stock coil and Nox with its stock coil when I had the Nox and found similar performance between the two but the build quality on the Kruzer was way better. I think the reason you don't see many comparisons between the two is because people opted for one over the other etc. O

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you recommend the Kruzer over the F75? I love the F75 ergonomics and performance but keep it now mainly because I want to have a detector that has a concentric coil. Would be nice to have something like the F75 in a waterproof package.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F75 also, haven't used it in a long time, kind of a shame really. Out of the Kruzer and the F75 I would keep the Kruzer if I had to choose one. Kruzer is waterproof, selectable Frequency, handles my crap soil much better and ID is way better. ID better than the NOX also. Depth is comparable to F75 and Nox. Kruzer is nose heavy with stock coil but with concentric is really good. F 75 ergonomics better than both though. Check out the Facebook Kruzer forum can get a lot more info also.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like dtvgg its way over priced for what it is.. look at the resale price. I messed with one a few days but it wasn't my cup of tea. To each his on though.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 6" equinox coil arrives tomorrow. I will give it a good testing at the iron infested beach that I always hunt. I haven't really pulled any good targets at all out of it lately, using my XP with the HF elliptical coil. It will be interesting to see if the 6" Nox can do better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread