11 REASONS WHY NOT TO BUY TESORO

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is interesting you can "notch" out silver, but can find copper. Can you "notch" out copper ? Did you sweep the ground before you laid out the rug? I'm wondering if someone detuned the detector internally.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes looks like you got hold of a bad unit. As for your bashing of the Tesoro brand machines? I would just say this...don't knock what you don't understand.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call it 11 reasons why not to buy your Tesoro. Any Tesoro I have used hits silver. Obviously you know this but just do not like that product. I like watching people spend all day looking at their screen setting their modes as you dig up treasure.
You just did a review on a bad machine. Youtube is full of bad advice.
Good luck in your hunts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned several Tesoros in the past, they are good detectors, must have been something wrong with yours.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your correct I don't like Tesoro units. The no iron tone cripples those units for relic hunting. I know that unit turned out to be defective but that's not really the point of the video..... What some consider bad advice others might consider it sound advice. Different strokes for different folks.

Im not a screen watcher myself the Deus remote rides in the pocket while hunting. .

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep an old Tesoro in my truck when out and about to check sites to come back to and hunt with it or other machines. Mine has an iron sound It is hard to describe. Its kinda life Pffftttt sound. Once you know it you are right 100% of the time.
I want to hear iron at first to determine what type of site is is. Then will let it bang away on steel shoot ,cannon balls or gun parts. If nothing of value in the iron on the site I will discriminate it out. I still hear it but know it is iron. The iron sound breaks up. I hunt faster with a tesoro than any other machine. I go back and cherry pick hunted out sites with others.
Its hard to review a machine that does not work and give good advice calabash.:occasion14:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you turned a lot of ones off with your bashing Tesoro. All Tesoro detectors i have had did a very good job for me. DSCN0810.JPG

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's definitely not a brand or machine you're going to learn while piddling around for 5 minutes in the back yard. Like any other detector...takes time to learn the sounds.

I agree that a screen machine with more tone adjustability will be much much more efficient in certain spots vs a beep and dig but they all have their place IMO.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never could past the one tone …..QUESTION if you have a challenged target in iron (iffy signal) does the non ferrous that's masked break up like a iron tone?

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you turned a lot of ones off with your bashing Tesoro. All Tesoro detectors i have had did a very good job for me. View attachment 1650643

Tesoro crowd is calm compared to the AT PRO crowd when I showed it getting beat to death by other brands...

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not a brand or machine you're going to learn while piddling around for 5 minutes in the back yard. Like any other detector...takes time to learn the sounds.

I agree that a screen machine with more tone adjustability will be much much more efficient in certain spots vs a beep and dig but they all have their place IMO.

Where do you think a beep and dig machine (Tesoro ) outshines other detectors? What type of place?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t own a Tesoro, nor did I watch your video....
But reading your title I called BS, based on the thousands of finds I’ve seen here on Tnet from guys who swing that brand.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoro found a $5k coin and three $3k each Rev war items. How's your machine doing? But seriously, one tone, I think not, mine screams on silver, and gold, and I can tell after a lot of use which objects are likely iron or not. Teeny tiny deep gold it has issues with, but generally those items sell for $10 anyway. Unlike a nice Confederate button. (Must get out soon and dig button.) It's a hearing thing. I can tell the difference most times before I dig and I have a Cibola. My Deus has found more smaller brass items, but not the big ticket items with the exception of a CW buckle or two and those were softballs, less than 5" under ground. It's not so much the machine, it's the operator.

I think there may be something wrong with the one you have, in all honesty. You certainly are a VERY GOOD detectorist, so something else is amiss.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to find one this week going to low country plantation to hunt. Nothing amiss just opens the way for a lively discussion.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do you think a beep and dig machine (Tesoro ) outshines other detectors? What type of place?

I know for certain a Tesoro Tejon will do anything a Dues or EQ will do in an old farm field with deeper coins and relics. When I'm in the mood to swing a one tone machine it definitely outshines all my other machines too. I gotta get a sticker made up for the car that reads 'it's a Tesoro thing, you wouldn't understand'. Lol. It's strange, sometimes for me it's just fun to use them and this is a hobby after all which to me is looked at as let down time.

I did find two silver dimes in a spot I went over with the Eq when using my Tejon....so it's better! All kidding aside, any mid range detector I've used has found me some great items. I do have a conquistador that is silent when beeping a silver dime though and I need to send it into Tesoro if they are still in business????

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daniel from Tn has a testimonial about a tejon and vaquero in a civil war site I need to find and post. I need to get my hands on a Tejon.. That's interesting another detector silent on silver.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Daniel from Tn has a testimonial about a tejon and vaquero in a civil war site I need to find and post. I need to get my hands on a Tejon.. That's interesting another detector silent on silver.

Yep. Totally shocked me. I was just fiddling around air testing my machines and thumbing the disc I was shocked. I guess there is some validity to air testing! Great for baselining and systems checking I suppose. I just hope they step up and fix it. I would send you out my Tejon if you want to play around in the garden with it.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i really can't agree with you ..and i have the silver to prove it..

Jason A.

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reason #12 - They find colonial coppers 10" deep on a regular basis. Found this yesterday afternoon with the Outlaw. And I knew it was copper by simply turning the disc knob.

A TESORO THAT DOES NOT HIT ON SILVER. You must be joking!

IMG_20181110_091348 (1).jpg IMG_20181110_091314.jpg IMG_20181110_091355.jpg IMG_20181110_091335.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread