Garrett GTI vs Minelab Explorer SE ...Is the Minelab worth the extra $$$???

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am in the market for a new high end detector. I have narrowed it down to these two manufacturers, although I have ruled out the White's DFX either. My question is which is a better choice? I know the Minelab SE has greater depth, but it seems that most old coins are not going to be 14 inches deep anyway. I would think it comes down to features, reliability, ground balance and overall performance.

What do you think? Is the Minelab worth the extra money? Even within the GTI family, it seems like the 2500 is much more than the 1500, with the only real difference being the Graphic Target analyzer for an extra $300.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Ah the old which is better. You've mentioned the three I actually considered before chosing.
The minelab was out of My budget-- would still like to try one !! The DFX and GTI 2500 are close in price and i spent time reading and comparing. The DFX seemed like a bigger learning curve than I wanted to have being My detecting time is split between Family and too many hobbies. I also liked the imaging feature and read that the All-metal mode was at one time considered the deepest of any detector. Course times and technology change- that is probably not the case today.
I am happy with My choice- still like the imaging and still use this detector with confidence. The confidence level seems to be very important no matter the detector- lots of Mders trade in one brand for the other because of the loss of confidence in the chosen one.
The GTI 2500 works well for ME!! Probably more than I should have spent- mid priced Detectors are numerous and offer many of the same or similar features, but knowing,learning and having confidence in your detector is still the most important part.
Good luck with your decision!
HH

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the response, Blackjack!

My decision has been made easier by an opportunity to pick up a "like new" Minelab Quattro for $450!! I am still negotiating, but it looks like I cant get the price down any lower. It is an older couple who only used it a few times!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Neil

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
so you decided on the quatro? i have a GTI 2500 and an SE. if you change your mind and want my opinion on them let me know.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the gti and although I can't say anything super bad on its performance. I felt the price was too high for what I got. The machine is super heavy, the treasure talk voice got turned off after the first use it got on my nerves. The target graphic was nice, but you really had to lock in on it or it bounced around. It did not perform well for me under extreme soil conditions. It had so many features and that is why I got the machine but I never used them. I looked at buying an SE but decided I didn't want to go the steep learning curve. I got the sovereign and have been happy ever since.

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I got a 2500 when they first came out but it had false signals problems so it went back to the factory six or seven times but they could not fix it so I trade it in on a 1500. The 1500 is litter and it will go as deep as the 2500 in motion mode. The non motion mode is OK for gold but it is no mach to the GMT for fine gold. The 1500 is easy to use. I used the 1500 in Ireland were coin are deep and I had to use the 15"DD coil to get 1/2 penny at 9" to 11" deep. So I got the Explorer and went back to the same filed and got deeper and found more old coins. But for the states the 1500 would probably do you good. I know a guy that got a sovereign and he love it. I'm still learning the Explorer it is a long learning curve.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred said:
so you decided on the quatro? i have a GTI 2500 and an SE. if you change your mind and want my opinion on them let me know.

It came down to price. I am getting the Quattro for a steal. I figure I can use it for a while, see that I think, and if I am not satisfied I can sell it at a profit. It was purely a business decision!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Neil in West Jersey said:
hollowpointred said:

It came down to price. I am getting the Quattro for a steal. I figure I can use it for a while, see that I think, and if I am not satisfied I can sell it at a profit. It was purely a business decision!

i have never used a quatro but i know someone who has, and they liked it very much. i think you made a fine choice!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self ithink if you going with Minelab you can not beat the ......Sovereign..!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread