AT Gold vs Equinox 800

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been using the AT gold for almost a year. The machine has been great. I recently put the bigger CORS Strike coil on it. Haven't really got the chance to use it yet because of the weather and conditions. My question here is how would the two detectors compare head to head? I like that the 800 can completely get rid of all audio you want. The gold beeps constantly and i feel like if theres nails near a potential target the gold will miss that. If anyone has used or knows both these machines i would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im pretty sure Calabash did some playing around with the two in an earlier video.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
sushi, the AT-Gold is set up more for just that "Gold" great machine, love mine, now that's not saying the two can't compete against each other. keep the 800 EQ in its gold/prospecting modes and they are both very similar in capabilities. So far on what I've noticed the 800 EQ is probably the faster machine both processing and in recovery speed, but your not out much and certainly not out enough to say one is leaps and bounds above the other. To also say one is deeper or finds targets better is for me so far a matter of how the machine is adjusted or set up. Now I prefer the lay out of the 800 both in the screen/head unit and the hand grip/shaft but when you compare the two in the water there is a feeling of pulling or bending because of the pistol grip. The AT Gold is more stream line with its grip directly on the bent part of the shaft so it swings a bit better to me while in the water.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I should probably add, I've done more comparing of the two between the AT-Pro and 800 EQ and it is essentially the same thing. Newer head unit face/screen a more ergonomically friendly grip and shaft design however this should be expected in a machine that is almost 10 years newer. both machines go back and fourth on targeting issues. The 800 can be set up for more situations due to the capability in setting frequencies used, but again I reiterate, the difference in the age of the machines the 800 better be different some how. Not bashing either machine both are very capable.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Opie in that they are very similar in capabilities. The Equinox was designed to compete with the AT series. I have noticed two things about the 800, it is deep in salt water and second, in an iron pit it really struggles with the stock coil. I would be shy against getting rid of excess audio. I tell folks to dig all the iffy stuff, lots of good stuff gets missed this way.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really believe that the nox is deeper, had a AT GOLD for three years, found a lot with it too but I like my 600 much more than it. sold the Gold to get the Nox and am very glad that I did. for me it was a for sure step up in performance for what I do.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT SERIES is not even close dont know what kind of testing yhall been doing. ???

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE (I should probably add, I've done more comparing of the two between the AT-Pro and 800 EQ and it is essentially the same thing. ) Really????????

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Anfibio and Equinox are similar in performance. Here is a video comparing the Anfibio to the AT GOLD with same size coil. The Equinox will do the same thing to the AT gold. Did not have a small coil to test Equinox against the AT gold at the time but have videos showing the Equinox unmasking better than the AT gold wearing a 5x8 and it wearing the stock 11 inch coil. Like I said above dont know what kind of testing you guys been doing but the AT series is not even close to the Equinox or Anfibio,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE (I should probably add, I've done more comparing of the two between the AT-Pro and 800 EQ and it is essentially the same thing. ) Really????????

I agree with Calabash, if your saying the AT Pro and the Equinox 800 are essentially the same they are not the same thing.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is what he said or at least I took it that way. HERES a video of the two...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox AT GOLD AND DEUS on colonial gold piece I found.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Calabash and Treasure Hunter are correct, they are not the same machines. With that said you can turn any machine into a battery on a stick and miss stuff and mitigate the machine's capabilities if you don't read the instructions and immediately go out and mess with presets when you haven't gotten to know the machine. Take it easy, learn your machine OR an AT Gold could possibly wipe up the ground with you. Of course, the targets have to be there to begin with.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I’m sure the AT Gold is quite capable, comparing it on the same level as the Equinox, is like saying a businessman’s coupe is the same as a Cadillac.

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox AT GOLD AND DEUS on colonial gold piece I found.

Thank you for the video. This cleared up everything i have been wondering about for the last month. I have had a lot of luck with the gold but i believe its time to upgrade. Thanks again. And thank you everyone else that contributed to this thread. I read and researched all that was discussed.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont work for minelab or deus and have no need to steer you wrong. What I said is the truth..... good luck.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really the best thing to do is not takes somebody's word for it. Don't put too much faith in those comparison videos because you don't know if the guy is swinging it properly in the video. I saw one of his think it was the AT Pro and I said he wasn't swinging it properly. Try both and see which one suits you best. I haven't used the Minelab but I would expect that being newer it ought to be better. I've heard some people complain they take a while to learn. But same with the AT Gold All Metal. Most people are afraid of the AM. If you don't learn it you are losing out. Clive Clynick has books. His Gold Jewelry one is pretty good. Clive said most of his best finds were made in All Metal going behind where others had been in Discriminate mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really the best thing to do is not takes somebody's word for it. Don't put too much faith in those comparison videos because you don't know if the guy is swinging it properly in the video. I saw one of his think it was the AT Pro and I said he wasn't swinging it properly. Try both and see which one suits you best. I haven't used the Minelab but I would expect that being newer it ought to be better. I've heard some people complain they take a while to learn. But same with the AT Gold All Metal. Most people are afraid of the AM. If you don't learn it you are losing out. Clive Clynick has books. His Gold Jewelry one is pretty good. Clive said most of his best finds were made in All Metal going behind where others had been in Discriminate mode.
Oh I've done that. I have a pretty good handle on the gold. Its the choppy iron that messes me up. I dig any solid signal and most choppy ones haha

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont put much faith in comparision videos either BUT when I look at someone and they consistently find the goods and are hunting the types of sites I want to hunt. Then I might take notice.....as for what machines are capable or better in iron well I think I am qualified to speak on that issue as that's where I hunt and have been very successful doing so. I have pulled some world class finds from it.

I think most go with the majority opinion and never really test detectors for themselves and that is ok but sometimes you can get steered in the wrong direction. People say the AT series is good in iron and I say compared to what ? A ace 250??? IMO the AT series is the most hyped and OVERRATED detector on the market when it come to its performance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread