Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t really care if you think I skew the reviews now your calling me dishonest about a metal detector. Buy yourself a go pro and prove my results are wrong ... oh how far the brand loyal love affair people will go to defend their precious... give me a break !

If what I showed was false some Garrett fan boy would have posted a video to show it.

WOW...You are a joke!!

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin With Britt swings a At pro,and if it’s good enough for her it’s good enough for me..I like your videos calabash,but your in 2nd place behind her on my watchlist.lol

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about all of this but I feel detectors are like guns. You use what you are comfortable with and what you are hunting for.

I own a AP Pro and a Teknetics T2 LTD SPECIAL EDITION Metal Detector With 11",5" Search Coils, and CORS Fortune 9.5"x5.5” DD Search Coil. My favorite detector of all time was the Teknetics 9000.

The AP is great on the beach for me. Steady and goes deep with no Dis. and almost full Sens. The T2 is almost useless on the beach with it's chatter and false readings. In the park with junk the T2 shines with the 5" coil and in the field with little junk the T2 shines with the CORS coil as well as the AP with the 11" coil. I find the AP is easier to pinpoint with, set up and change settings. I found a 2" piece of twisted copper wire 18" down in my back yard testing the AP with headphones so ya, it goes deep.

I've also owned a few fishers, 2 other Garretts and an E-trac which I almost gave away because you couldn't see the screen but a lot of guys love them so who knows.
I say use what you like and learn it well and you will do better than 90% of the other guys out there who don't.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It cost me a whole lot of danged money as I have every machine listed on my profile. Each one is quite capable in it's own way. I haven't gotten out much this year - doesn't mean I don't love the hobby. Water is a completely different story, live by my Excal II. Dirt digging? I just grab my trusty Tejon. Could choose the CTX or the EQ, but I grab the Tejon instead.

It's about "being one" with your trusted machine. I don't go by TID, I go by sound, which is what I'm used to. I may never get a Banner, don't have to = not my thing. I do it for the love of the adventure and sometimes I find nice things.

I chased those whiz bang gizmos to the tune of thousands and in the end, settled with what I'm most comfortable with.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the end, it's all about the "fun" factor. I find plenty, and have lots of fun, with my LRP. I put more into what I have found, rather than sitting around worrying about what I may have missed. So you have a detector that can find things 2" deeper. There's lots of junk at that depth also. More time digging isn't my idea of fun.

Now excuse me while I have more fun tackling the new "Borderlands 3" on the XBox One. It's all about what you see as fun.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phantasm is correct. It's about the fun factor. Some of my best finds could have been made with a $49.95 machine, just how the targets were in the soil.

No need to bash someone else's machine. That's really pretty juvenile. So what if someone can only afford machine "X"? You going to make them depressed and make them unhappy they can't get machine "Y" due to their budget? Come on already. I get really tired of the "my machine is better than yours" syndrome. I am not specifically referring to anyone, but if the goal is to go and find stuff, well, go and find it!

And as Tommy said "I would rather have a reliable car then one the breaks down a lot." Wonder which kind he was referring to? Maybe my Impala which never breaks!

And there's a reason some of us have different machines. For a couple of my spots a $49.95 machine works just fine. I'd want another for underwater, etc.

There is no magic wand out there. Go PLAY!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greatly written.....Thanks, I agree 1000 percent......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go play, and find some treasure!

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love all the different views expressed in this thread . I like the political correctness some like to try to associate with detecting. Dont say anything bad about a model detector you might hurt some ones feelings.... Give me a break ! It is a piece of plastic ,we can pretend and all hold hands and sing.

THIS IS THE HEAD TO HEAD forum and if your feelings get hurt easy you might need to stay the todays finds section.

Bottom line is this in the price range of the AT SERIES there is the Equinox and Anfibio and both of those blow the AT series away.... How do I know this ???????????

I have tested and used all three!

AT PRO was the first all terrain detector but it has been made obsolete by the others.... if you want to be ONE with a OBSOLETE detector go ahead...

FUN FACTOR- yeah walking around the park or a relic site KNOWING that the detector your using is missing all kinds targets sounds like real fun to me....

SMOKEY I know you drive all over and spend all kinds of money looking for relics and I hear what your saying BUT I also see what your using.. Smokey is one of the best so folks take notice of what she is swinging and ask your self one simple question.

WHY is she swinging the Deus with a hf coil for relics.....I will make it easy for you …..BECAUSE it is the BEST machine made for relics... ……….

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone is to consider the AT Pro an obsolete machine, and my guess is Garrett will make changes to keep up with the competition, then what do you call a machine, the Equinox, with better electronics, but bad construction where most every one I personally know who has one has opted to either get a new lower after market shaft so it won't wobble ($100), a new metal armcuff because they tend to snap in half ($50), and the 6" coil to do relics better (about $150). Some have purchased counter balances to correct the ergonomics. So that $899 machine is now $1199. And the leaks. If you have one and don't submerge the control head in water there is something wrong with you as they have known leakage problems and the warranty still applies so you should move on that. Minelab will take care of it promptly, they have good service. No one knows how many but I still hear folks complaining theirs gave up the ghost.

Better machine? Working machine? Non working machine? Last for years? Lasts for months? Are our machines now throwaways? Do we care?

I agree the Equinox has better electronics, but their construction leaves a lot to be desired.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hurray! I'm for the other team

Hooray.jpg

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phantasm is correct. It's about the fun factor. Some of my best finds could have been made with a $49.95 machine, just how the targets were in the soil.

No need to bash someone else's machine. That's really pretty juvenile. So what if someone can only afford machine "X"? You going to make them depressed and make them unhappy they can't get machine "Y" due to their budget? Come on already. I get really tired of the "my machine is better than yours" syndrome. I am not specifically referring to anyone, but if the goal is to go and find stuff, well, go and find it!

And as Tommy said "I would rather have a reliable car then one the breaks down a lot." Wonder which kind he was referring to? Maybe my Impala which never breaks!

And there's a reason some of us have different machines. For a couple of my spots a $49.95 machine works just fine. I'd want another for underwater, etc.

There is no magic wand out there. Go PLAY!

Very well said!

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many moons ago before I knew the difference between a lower end machine and a good one, I found a lot with a RadioShack model. Decades later I’ve owned and still several “better” machines.
I’ve hunted with “the best” of them but if you want to have fun it’s about

Location, location, location...

Tips for newbies... spend more time on researching good locations to hunt and getting permissions. Get the machine you can comfortably afford. Read the manual and learn the machine. Dig it all at historical sites. Go back over the location again at different angles.
Go back over it again after a good rain. Go back over it again when it’s bone dry. Go back over it again because you can’t get a new permission. Go back over it again because you feel there has to be more.
Then...
When you find yourself dreaming about detecting, your hooked. Start saving your money for a “better” detector. And while your at it, you might as well start saving for the next one you will be convinced you can’t live without.

When you finally upgrade your machine.. go back over your hunted sites to see if your new machine can pull out more.
..... and repeat.

Welcome to the hobby.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What MetalArchSC said! One thing we forget is if it's not there to begin with, you won't find it. I also like to dig slightly frozen ground, there's something about that situation that makes goodies jump out of the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread