Simplex vs Vanquish

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I know its early but maybe some members have some ideas ....which detector for a newbie ....need new detector for my grand daughter .......what i see in simplex being waterproof is a big plus because it rains a lot in the rain forest here ...whats one have over the other on say a wet salt beach beach where a old fisher single freq 5 khz gets 2-3 inches on a quarter ....Or in afield with normal soil on a soda can ...To me all the orders before any reviews are out is stupid .. To me they both sound better then a Ace ...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, maybe not. Wait till you can try each out at a dealer, if possible. They may sound better than an ACE, but that's not necessarily a given. I always tells folks to try to "test drive" a new purchase if at all possible. Water proof is getting more and more important these days.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree smokey only problem am a few hundred miles from a minelab dealer who probably only sells fakes in luzon or cebu and the simplex nearest dealer i have no idea .....I trust the word of terry only problem it seems he a little tight lipped on the subject so far he said he tested ( simplex ) . His words it blows away anything under $400 ....well is it as good AT PRO on the wet beach terry ?

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it kind of strange that there are many videos on the net all taken in mild soil with coins found at 7" to 16" range ...I bet that machine where am at in a real test not a staged test might find a real US silver 25 cent piece at tops 6" on the beach and in the surf 4" ....they won't want to show a video like that would they ....I wish that video showed him raising the coil above the targets to prove its the real deal ....

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree smokey only problem am a few hundred miles from a minelab dealer who probably only sells fakes in luzon or cebu and the simplex nearest dealer i have no idea .....I trust the word of terry only problem it seems he a little tight lipped on the subject so far he said he tested ( simplex ) . His words it blows away anything under $400 ....well is it as good AT PRO on the wet beach terry ?

From my experience with an AT Pro on the beach, well lets be charitable and say it just not a wet beach machine. Dry sand, ok. Some will say they take their AT Pro to the web ocean beach and find some stuff, but let me tell you they miss a lot of good stuff.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll be getting a Vanquish for my granddaughter for several reasons:

1. I much prefer the multi frequency of Minelab to any single frequency machine. 99% of our hunting is done on east coast Florida beaches and single frequency machines just can't cut it comparatively. The Vanquish is a much better ticket for that environment.

2. The Vanquish can be sized to fit a child. The lower shaft as well as the upper shaft(arm cuff) can be made to fit any child...at least from what I've seen so far on the Specs and in photos.

3. I have more confidence in the Minelab technology and its user interface.

4. The Minelab comes with a control box cover that will provide an added layer of water resistant protection from rain. My granddaughter won't be venturing into the surf any time soon so a waterproof machine is somewhat unnecessary...for now. When the time comes that she'll need a waterproof detector, an Equinox will be in her future.

Just the view from this grandfather's foxhole....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. I'd go with multi over vlf if on the conditions you speak of. Just makes sense.

JJames

Greenie
May 10, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, etc.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned both detectors recently. I kept the minelab vanquish 540 and sold the simplex. They are pretty close to the same depth, but the simplex gave more false signals in my soil. The 540 not any. I promise for the price you can't make a mistake, but my money would be on the vanquish 540.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread