Thinking about a new MD! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Thinking about a new MD!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Sep 2019
    Alabama
    XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
    68
    92 times
    Metal Detecting
    Smokey, My X-Terra has had some issues that Iím not thrilled about. It still works. But not as good as when I bought it. Itís only 3 years old. My old Tesoro, which my son still uses is still in great shape and surprisingly a very good detector. MX- Sport is a great detector but weighs a ton after about an hour of hunting. Saying that, Iím looking at the Deus as my next detector! Should I wait and see if XP is coming out with something to replace the Deus?
    SanMan likes this.

  2. #17
    fr
    Oct 2019
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    191
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If i could get a Garrett set-up, proper metal tubes etc.. with the more modern coils/controls, it would be a definite purchase. I am really quite rough on my machine and it keeps going. Last month my kid dropped it (Garrett Ace) into a river, i found out when it floated down stream and hit me, in water for 30 seconds,, i rushed it home dismantled it and hair dried it , it sprung back to life !!! Ok, nox wouldn't have that problem as it is apparently submersible, but an old 250, working as normal since, i mean i love that...

    Suppose i'm waiting for Garrett to take the step into the multi frequency universe...
    Last edited by AstralDruid; Oct 23, 2019 at 01:55 PM.

  3. #18
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    14,731
    26180 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good points. I doubt XP will make something better than a Deus, as they just did a software release that made it work wondrously in salt water. That being said, I don't have any insight as to what's going on over that, per se. For your Equinox, put it underwater in your tub an hour or so or less. Make sure she doesn't leak, while it's still under warranty. Wise folks now do this to avoid disappointment in the future.

    I'd post pics of my Deus but ya'll would laugh at it. It looks like a dump truck ran over it. On any machine over $300, it's mainly the OPERATOR that makes the difference. Garrett and White's need to lose some weight, and Minelab needs to buy better plastics.
    SanMan likes this.

  4. #19

    Sep 2019
    Alabama
    XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
    68
    92 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralDruid View Post
    If i could get a Garrett set-up, proper metal tubes etc.. with the more modern coils/controls, it would be a definite purchase. I am really quite rough on my machine and it keeps going. Last month my kid dropped it (Garrett Ace) into a river, i found out when it floated down stream and hit me, in water for 30 seconds,, i rushed it home dismantled it and hair dried it , it sprung back to life !!! Ok, nox wouldn't have that problem as it is apparently submersible, but an old 250, working as normal since, i mean i love that...

    Suppose i'm waiting for Garrett to take the step into the multi frequency universe...
    I havenít never tried the Garrett MDís. But I do love the carrot pinpointer!

  5. #20
    fr
    Oct 2019
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    191
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I reckon i'm gonna hold on, until after christmas , the and pick up an XP orx in the sales... unless convinced otherwise... Damn it
    Coin-Digger and RustyGold like this.

  6. #21

    Sep 2019
    Alabama
    XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
    68
    92 times
    Metal Detecting
    Iíve decided about 95% on the DEUS. Still researching, but confident in my 95% decision!
    SanMan and AstralDruid like this.

  7. #22
    fr
    Oct 2019
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    191
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Why do i still consider Garrett ?? could an AT max or pro cut it ? i see all the youtube reviews with the new tech... but in reality the old die hards use the ATs,, there is a reason, i would presume...

  8. #23

    Sep 2019
    Alabama
    XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
    68
    92 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralDruid View Post
    Why do i still consider Garrett ?? could an AT max or pro cut it ? i see all the youtube reviews with the new tech... but in reality the old die hards use the ATs,, there is a reason, i would presume...
    I see nothing wrong with it at all!
    AstralDruid and SanMan like this.

  9. #24
    Charter Member
    us
    Roger

    Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    4,125
    14834 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    AstralDruid and Coin-Digger like this.

  10. #25
    Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

    Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    XP Deus ORX, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
    445
    649 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    For those of you considering the ORX there are a few things you should be aware of (I love mine and after a somewhat lengthy search of trial and error I now have a machine I trust)
    1. The control box is not waterproof (you can't even get it wet) - Just so you know you will need a case or bag to protect it in the rain. They do sell an underwater kit if you plan to have the coil submerged it won't communicate without the add-on kit
    2. No notching - This should really be fix in an update IMO. If you want to notch out a specific VDI number or range you can't - You can notch up to a number though. So I will notch up to 40 just to knock out most of the iron at parks.
    3. Charging - You will be charging the coil, headphones, control box, and MI6 pin pointer. Not a big deal to me just make it part of your routine. The headphones die first so pack a backup pair with 1/4 jack because the internal speaker has no volume control and is loud. It is nice to not need batteries for a pin pointer anymore and the locate lost pin pointer feature has already worked for me.
    4. Pinpoint button - This is a personal preference but the button is small and there is a little delay turning it on and I never use it. So if your really buying for that feature you might want to try a deus out first. I personally don't mind because I don't pinpoint anyway the target will be at the front of the coil on the XP logo 90% of the time if you wiggle the coil back. (I do need to experiment more with the pinpoint feature to discriminate trash)

    My only real issue is the waterproofing the control box is a big negative so I carry a few ziplock bags in case it starts to rain. The ORX is just a simple machine you turn it one pair your headphones select deus fast and go. You don't have to think about settings much and you can focus all your time on hunting. It is so fast and light you will have a hard time going back to anything heavier or slower. The 9" HF coil is an interesting coil that almost mimics the best of small and large coils in that you have excellent separation and depth, with the only sacrifice being coverage.

    * Bonus - I have heard some people say you dig a lot of bottle caps with the DEUS and this in my experience has been somewhat true but no more than most machines.
    I can tell a bottle cap from the iron grunt using the wiggle method about 80% of the time at a depth of 3 to 4" in my Indiana soil (not the beach?)
    I still dig deep rusty bottle caps though and I am perfectly ok with it you never know when it might be a quarter next to a rusty nail.

  11. #26
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Some where out there
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX / Simplex+
    7,916
    8068 times
    I have the Deus and just got the ORX. Not sure why? My wife has started accompanying me on beach hunts and I thought it would be perfect for her to have a lightweight detector should could enjoy using.
    The ORX is lightning fast and super easy to use. I love the XP products.
    AstralDruid and Coin-Digger like this.


    ďStrive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.Ē
    Ė Albert Einstein

  12. #27

    Sep 2019
    Alabama
    XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
    68
    92 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by eman1000 View Post
    For those of you considering the ORX there are a few things you should be aware of (I love mine and after a somewhat lengthy search of trial and error I now have a machine I trust)
    1. The control box is not waterproof (you can't even get it wet) - Just so you know you will need a case or bag to protect it in the rain. They do sell an underwater kit if you plan to have the coil submerged it won't communicate without the add-on kit
    2. No notching - This should really be fix in an update IMO. If you want to notch out a specific VDI number or range you can't - You can notch up to a number though. So I will notch up to 40 just to knock out most of the iron at parks.
    3. Charging - You will be charging the coil, headphones, control box, and MI6 pin pointer. Not a big deal to me just make it part of your routine. The headphones die first so pack a backup pair with 1/4 jack because the internal speaker has no volume control and is loud. It is nice to not need batteries for a pin pointer anymore and the locate lost pin pointer feature has already worked for me.
    4. Pinpoint button - This is a personal preference but the button is small and there is a little delay turning it on and I never use it. So if your really buying for that feature you might want to try a deus out first. I personally don't mind because I don't pinpoint anyway the target will be at the front of the coil on the XP logo 90% of the time if you wiggle the coil back. (I do need to experiment more with the pinpoint feature to discriminate trash)

    My only real issue is the waterproofing the control box is a big negative so I carry a few ziplock bags in case it starts to rain. The ORX is just a simple machine you turn it one pair your headphones select deus fast and go. You don't have to think about settings much and you can focus all your time on hunting. It is so fast and light you will have a hard time going back to anything heavier or slower. The 9" HF coil is an interesting coil that almost mimics the best of small and large coils in that you have excellent separation and depth, with the only sacrifice being coverage.

    * Bonus - I have heard some people say you dig a lot of bottle caps with the DEUS and this in my experience has been somewhat true but no more than most machines.
    I can tell a bottle cap from the iron grunt using the wiggle method about 80% of the time at a depth of 3 to 4" in my Indiana soil (not the beach?)
    I still dig deep rusty bottle caps though and I am perfectly ok with it you never know when it might be a quarter next to a rusty nail.
    Thanks! Thatís some good advice! I keep leaning toward the ORX! Yeah it doesnít have many bells and whistles as the Deus, but from what Iíve read and seen, it hold its own!
    AstralDruid and RustyGold like this.

  13. #28
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    14,731
    26180 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm not sure the bells and whistles are worth much. I set my Deus on Deus fast, tracking balance, and most of the time 74khz, which is higher than any other manufacturer has, as far as I know. I understand the lower frequencies are supposed to hit harder on some items, but I get good targets 10" or more down. I always tell folks to get to a dealer to "test drive" a machine if at all possible before they buy one.
    Coin-Digger and Iffy Signals like this.

  14. #29
    fr
    Oct 2019
    Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter Equinox 600
    191
    265 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I took the plunge and went for an Equinox 600, having formed the opinion that the 800 is basically the same but with more specialized 'gold' functions, which i don't really need.. Will be delivered next week.
    Excited now.
    sandmartin, Coin-Digger and RTR like this.

  15. #30
    us
    May 2011
    1,387
    2893 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralDruid View Post
    I took the plunge and went for an Equinox 600, having formed the opinion that the 800 is basically the same but with more specialized 'gold' functions, which i don't really need.. Will be delivered next week.
    Excited now.
    Good choice.
    I live in Birmingham, we have the mineralized SE red clay and healing helpings of extra iron from microscopic up to huge.
    Plus tons of trash.
    The Nox is getting deeper here more accurately than most anything I have tried before and its ability to find masked targets is...remarkable.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

    Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I'm thinking it's a .32 cal
    By ArDirtSlinger in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2018, 08:36 PM
  2. what was I thinking?!?
    By dump_digger in forum Marbles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jan 20, 2018, 01:48 AM
  3. Im thinking nel as well
    By Dig-MV in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 13, 2016, 02:15 PM
  4. Thinking of Dad and my son.
    By Lil Nick in forum In Memory Of....
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0