Thinking about a new MD!

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/ Whites MX-Sport/ Minelab X-Terra 505/ Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two choices at the moment is between the Equinox 600 and the Anfibio multi. I’m in Northwest Alabama and the soil can get nasty. EMI is not really a big problem. But, I was set on the Nox 600 til I seen some videos of Nox not handling tough Dirt.

I’m not new to MD. I started with the Tesoro Silver Umax. Then a Minelab X-Terra 505. Now I have a Whites MX-Sport. Still use all three. But, I’m wanting one with better separation and can handle this tough red clay dirt better!

Can afford the 800 Nox, but not much Gold shooting here in Alabama. Thought about V3i, but I think it’s kind of slow like the sport if not slower! Trust me though. I love the Sport and it’s deep for this part of the country. But I can’t disc like I want to for Coin Shooting.

So any suggestions and or any experience with this new technology will be very appreciated! Thanks!!!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go for the Nox 600 with the latest software upgrade and find a deal where they throw in the 6" coil for free. (The NOX with the 6" coil is hard to beat on separation) You can notch out each VDI number and I haven't heard any complaints about soil conditions with it? I haven't heard or seen much on the Anfibio so if you decide to go that route keep us posted.

I would also recommend you go ahead and get a set of wireless headphones it is hard to go back after you use a pair. (shop around there are some aftermarket ones for the Minelab that can be bought for under $60)

I'm hunting with the XP ORX but you can't disc specific VDI ranges so you would have to go full XP DEUS controller for that option.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tesoros handle the bad dirt and the XP Deus is stellar in it. My AT Pro stunk in the red dirt, don't know about most others.

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Tesoros handle the bad dirt and the XP Deus is stellar in it. My AT Pro stunk in the red dirt, don't know about most others.

I was just reading up on the DEUS! What about ORX? Also what frequency you running in this red dirt?

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go for the Nox 600 with the latest software upgrade and find a deal where they throw in the 6" coil for free. (The NOX with the 6" coil is hard to beat on separation) You can notch out each VDI number and I haven't heard any complaints about soil conditions with it? I haven't heard or seen much on the Anfibio so if you decide to go that route keep us posted.

I would also recommend you go ahead and get a set of wireless headphones it is hard to go back after you use a pair. (shop around there are some aftermarket ones for the Minelab that can be bought for under $60)

I'm hunting with the XP ORX but you can't disc specific VDI ranges so you would have to go full XP DEUS controller for that option.

Ok, thanks! I’m still debating and juggling between three detectors. The XP Deus, Nox 800, and the Anfibio Multi. I think I change my mind and budget constantly! But, I do want more customization. Whites MX-Sport is good, but doesn’t have the exact customization I need. I’ll use it for my old swimming holes.

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sorry for posting this in the wrong section by the way! If a moderator can move to the appropriate place, much appreciated!

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
I have a similar dilemma 'Coin Digger', so i hope you don't mind if i tag along for the ride..?
I am suspicious of nox build quality ... hope this doesn't trigger a mass response, but they seem a bit bashable to me.. but i am used to Garrett, so just shows what i know eh ?..

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
I have a similar dilemma 'Coin Digger', so i hope you don't mind if i tag along for the ride..?
I am suspicious of nox build quality ... hope this doesn't trigger a mass response, but they seem a bit bashable to me.. but i am used to Garrett, so just shows what i know eh ?..

The customization level I’m needing keeps me thinking about the Deus! I’m also wanting a multi Frequency machine. There is not much Gold where I’m at. So, the X35 coil on the Deus or ORX will be sufficient!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AstralDruid, the build quality is legendary on the Nox. But not really positive. Check out other folks posts on any machine you are considering, any machine, any brand, good, bad or ugly. Coin-Digger, I use 74 khz most of the time and sometimes hit coins at 10-12" so I don't think I'm sacrificing any depth at that frequency. In the really bad dirt, I do lose depth, but that's just how it is. In one are say 3' x 3' you can have 50 to 100 signals, mainly nails, with a button or bullet hiding. That's bad.

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AstralDruid, the build quality is legendary on the Nox. But not really positive. Check out other folks posts on any machine you are considering, any machine, any brand, good, bad or ugly. Coin-Digger, I use 74 khz most of the time and sometimes hit coins at 10-12" so I don't think I'm sacrificing any depth at that frequency. In the really bad dirt, I do lose depth, but that's just how it is. In one are say 3' x 3' you can have 50 to 100 signals, mainly nails, with a button or bullet hiding. That's bad.

We have the same problem in dirt! No doubt about it. Makes the MX- Sport perform musicals! LOL

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smokey I believe we have the same problem in the dirt. Is it the Deus or the ORX you running?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Deus. I've looked at other machines and had a Nox for awhile, but it was not up to specifications so I sold it. Deus was simply better, especially on target separation and in bad horrid red Virginia dirt. Now that they have the settings fixed on the Deus for salt water, there really isn't other machine I'd want right now.

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been leaning towards the ORX, good French build :laughing7:
Seems to be capable and light... i don't know why but i have a bad feeling about the nox 800, too much hype...

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been leaning towards the ORX, good French build :laughing7:
Seems to be capable and light... i don't know why but i have a bad feeling about the nox 800, too much hype...

I’m right there with you! I’m sure they’re good machines (the Nox). But, I’m still very skeptical! My ML X-Terra is a descent Detector, but it hasn’t really sold me on Minelab! I’m not a newbie to MD’ing. That the reason I want something that I can fully customize to my liking and conditions. The big reason that the DEUS is looking better by the minute!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox series is a good working machine. It does not walk on water. No machine does. They hyped it beyond redemption and a couple folks I know personally have put them aside already in favor of something else. If you look at the threads here you will find all sorts of mechanical failures on them, and lots of aftermarket "fixes". Good news is they have a 3 year warranty.

On another note, I dropped my Deus in the ocean two weeks ago, it went underwater briefly and it didn't get ruined. It SHOULD HAVE been ruined. I know I grabbed it quickly but I'm not as fast as a snake striking!

I expect I'll have my Deus another 10 years, at which point I probably won't be able to detect anymore. I know from personal experience the AT PRo series are almost impossible to kill. They actually will work on a salt water beach but it's a real trick to adjust the machine to do it.

I had one Tesoro for 10 years before I got rid of it. It's now 25 years old and still works. I know who has it. Some brands are built to last, some you must consider as "throwaway" machines. That is, when they break under warranty, it's more economical to get another machine. Whichever one you want.

One last thing to consider, my Deus is going on 3 years old. If it broke, would I fix it or get newer technology, like multi frequency? Well, in my case, I'd get it fixed. The most expensive part new is about $500. I've had my machine up against multi frequency machines, and in those few times mine did better, but it could be me!:dontknow:

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smokey, My X-Terra has had some issues that I’m not thrilled about. It still works. But not as good as when I bought it. It’s only 3 years old. My old Tesoro, which my son still uses is still in great shape and surprisingly a very good detector. MX- Sport is a great detector but weighs a ton after about an hour of hunting. Saying that, I’m looking at the Deus as my next detector! Should I wait and see if XP is coming out with something to replace the Deus?

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i could get a Garrett set-up, proper metal tubes etc.. with the more modern coils/controls, it would be a definite purchase. I am really quite rough on my machine and it keeps going. Last month my kid dropped it (Garrett Ace) into a river, i found out when it floated down stream and hit me, in water for 30 seconds,, i rushed it home dismantled it and hair dried it , it sprung back to life !!! Ok, nox wouldn't have that problem as it is apparently submersible, but an old 250, working as normal since, i mean i love that...

Suppose i'm waiting for Garrett to take the step into the multi frequency universe...

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points. I doubt XP will make something better than a Deus, as they just did a software release that made it work wondrously in salt water. That being said, I don't have any insight as to what's going on over that, per se. For your Equinox, put it underwater in your tub an hour or so or less. Make sure she doesn't leak, while it's still under warranty. Wise folks now do this to avoid disappointment in the future.

I'd post pics of my Deus but ya'll would laugh at it. It looks like a dump truck ran over it. On any machine over $300, it's mainly the OPERATOR that makes the difference. Garrett and White's need to lose some weight, and Minelab needs to buy better plastics.

OP
OP
Coin-Digger

Coin-Digger

Sep 18, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i could get a Garrett set-up, proper metal tubes etc.. with the more modern coils/controls, it would be a definite purchase. I am really quite rough on my machine and it keeps going. Last month my kid dropped it (Garrett Ace) into a river, i found out when it floated down stream and hit me, in water for 30 seconds,, i rushed it home dismantled it and hair dried it , it sprung back to life !!! Ok, nox wouldn't have that problem as it is apparently submersible, but an old 250, working as normal since, i mean i love that...

Suppose i'm waiting for Garrett to take the step into the multi frequency universe...

I haven’t never tried the Garrett MD’s. But I do love the carrot pinpointer!

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reckon i'm gonna hold on, until after christmas , the and pick up an XP orx in the sales... unless convinced otherwise... Damn it :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread