Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you even bother?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their favorites! Personally, I think the settings you used on the pro did not give a good example of discrimination features. I doubt very seriously that my AT would have missed any of the targets you showed. It's pretty much a moot point with me however because I relic hunt and dig everything above a VDI of 30. I know both machines are great in the hands of someone used to them.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :laughing7:

And I didn't watch the video.
I just knew better.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their favorites! Personally, I think the settings you used on the pro did not give a good example of discrimination features. I doubt very seriously that my AT would have missed any of the targets you showed. It's pretty much a moot point with me however because I relic hunt and dig everything above a VDI of 30. I know both machines are great in the hands of someone used to them.

I got a few questions.... You said you very seriously doubt that your AT PRO would have missed any of the targets that I showed..... IT MISSED two of the deep silvers.... Question what is that doubt based on???? Faith??? It has to be because it cant be based on actual testing because I have tested all 3 of the AT series and they faired about the same.

If you love your AT PRO no problem BUT to pretend it will do something it will not well does not make a whole lot of sense to me.... To pretend any detector will do more than it will really do does not make any sense.

One more question..... What do you lose when add a lot of discrim on the AT PRO?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With different settings than you used, the tones would indicate the target's make-up on mine. At least that's my findings. I look at VDI but don't rely on that for ID. Running wide open as you said with no iron discrimination makes everything sound good enough to dig in my book(above 30). Seriously, one of the targets you said it missed was a silver dollar at 12"? I'm sure machines have differences and some may have better depth, and multi frequencies is great at picking thru iron to find good targets but the pro has some of those abilities too. Like I said, I dig everything above 30, but with different settings, the tones I'm listening for are there in the iron. You'll hear the iron, but you'll also tell that something besides iron is in the hole. Nobody gets it all. I'm pretty thorough. But can you tell me that anytime you go over an area, there is nothing left? Have you gone back over areas you hit before and still find things you missed? Sure you do. I don't pretend to be an expert on the internals on a machine and quite frankly I don't understand all that goes on what changes the sounds I hear. Sometimes on the pro, a change in sensitivity makes a difference and not always by going to the highest sensitivity. I hunt woods alot. Away from emi interference and sometimes you can find good targets better with it down a notch or two. Only because it makes a different sound. I know I'm beating a dead horse here and I can just hear people laughing..:laughing7: I get it. You like the Nox better than the Pro. And that's fine by me. But don't doubt the pro in the hands of someone else that tunes it differently! I know that your vid was trying to show VDI differences on the two candidates but VDI will fool you on any machine if that's all you go by. I rely on sounds not some meter for VDI. I'm ok with your choice and hope you're ok with mine. If I make a change now and expect another long learning curve, I think I'll wait on the appearance of the Avitech machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get what your saying... I dont dig by numbers either on pure relic sites. I just made the video mainly for the coin hunters. Stay tuned for the next videos stock AT pro Coil vs Equinox 6 inch coil...

Jasiu

May 2, 2019
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus. Garett sea hunter II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to have more at pro users here then my noxi 800 and xp would pick up the stuff they missed �� garrett isn't that good trust me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread