Air tests with mercury dime - five detectors

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
OK here's my test on a mercury dime with my stable of four detectors:

Garett Ace 250 6.5x9 coil full sens - 8"

Garrett ADS Deepseeker 6" coil, VLF all metal - 12", TR disc 9" - this was extremely surprising to me since I've never found a dime in TR Disc deeper than about 4"

Compass Goldscanner Pro 8" coil, VLF all metal 11", VLF Trash Out 9" - I've found dimes past 6" in Trash Out with this one.

Tesoro Tejon 8x9 coil - Disc off with slight threshold 13", Disc set to tab 12". This is with the sens turned all the way up past 10 in the red zone. I've never found a place I could hunt with the sens that high in dirt with the standard coil without it chirping and chattering constantly.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting test that covers several machines including the Nexus range is at

http://www.medialettra.com/nexustesten.htm

Compare the figures of the Coronado (two six inch coils side by side) with those of the Whites M6 with Super 12" coil which is a much cheaper machine even after a second coil has been bought.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
U.K. Brian said:
An interesting test that covers several machines including the Nexus range is at

http://www.medialettra.com/nexustesten.htm

Compare the figures of the Coronado (two six inch coils side by side) with those of the Whites M6 with Super 12" coil which is a much cheaper machine even after a second coil has been bought.

I can't get this link to work. Any suggestions?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the chart so you can see it:

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3,463

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
It's refreshing to find the only depth chart ever made that shows the Explorer losing! Well done! I don't believe it but at least it's different ;D

You know, I just got this great idea!

Why don't we have a CHART for every brand and model to please everyone?

We could have one that makes anything but Minelab suck.

Then have one for Whites...Garrett...Fisher...Bounty Hunter....Tesoro....etc., etc.

Then when I'm gun-hoe Minelab I can brag I have the deepest. When I take a fancy for Fisher...well, you get it.

How bout it?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guys

Hey why not a sand test?

We should have a disc and ID test for these detectors as well. It seems if you are going to be paying for these high end models, they better have excellent disc and ID abilites, since the depth is not muchbetter that lower end.

Hey most detectors will go atleast 6" anyways and thats all you really need for most goodies right?

Totally enjoy these posts, you guys have lots of good info!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Larsmed said:
Guys

Hey why not a sand test?

We should have a disc and ID test for these detectors as well. It seems if you are going to be paying for these high end models, they better have excellent disc and ID abilities, since the depth is not muchbetter that lower end.

Hey most detectors will go atleast 6" anyways and thats all you really need for most goodies right?

Totally enjoy these posts, you guys have lots of good info!

The bottom line is we only know the truth when we do our own testing.

And you're right, all VLF detectors from about $200 on up get very close to the same depth. One may do better on gold than another, etc., but averaged out there's not that big of difference.

No detector does well in fresh dug soil (fluffy soil). Dig a fresh hole 6 inches deep...bury a clad quarter...try your detector...get so ticked you sell that detector on ebay. This scenario probably repeats itself a thousand times a month.

Firm packed mild soil that has settled down will sound a quarter at 6-9 inches deep. The depth is determined my detector settings, swing speed, battery strength, angle of coin, electrical interference, weather and soil conditions (dry, wet, etc.).

OP
OP
bavarianminister

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
To all the brave souls who have reported the truth about air tests with their detectors - I thank you. This has been valuable information for those who are making decisions about future purchases. Badger has really made some good points here - we need to thank him for that! The bottom line here, is that we all very much enjoy what we do with these machines - some machines are a little better with depth than others. Research is the most important issue that we need to pay a little more attention to. The least expensive machine will find a lot of silver if you can get that coil over it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I belive that all the major manufactures produce quality machines - our budgets sometimes limit us to the Aces or the F2's. Use what you have and learn those machines - and get out there and swing those coils. Thanks you again - Bavarianminister

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said and right on B.

Attachments

• 7_4_33[1].gif
    7_4_33[1].gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,380
  • 7_4_33[1].gif
    7_4_33[1].gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,387

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I mucked up the link.
Anyway the M6 with the new Whites coil does really well. Has anyone seen if the depth carries on into the ground or is it that the combination just air test well.

Re the dime test my second from bottom of the whole XP range, the ADX 200 (9" coil) manages a good repeatable signal at 12.5 inches. The Adventis, GMaxx etc should do even better

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deepest coin that I ever dug was with a CZ5. It was about 14 inches and it was an1850s German copper coin about the size of a quarter. I guess it could have just kept rolling to the bottom but it seemed to be lodged in the bottom of the hole. CZs are deep machines for older coins for sure.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Were talking a measured air test on a mercury dime. The original poster and some of the rest don't want to rely on a deep dug target. It has to be high sens, low disc and repeatable beep measured. If your going to use a larger than stock coil let us know. Or do several test with all your coils. I followed the original post to a tee to make sure it was the same test.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv owned about every brand detector made from1967 to 2008! many years of this hobby has shown more than once that you can take 3 Fisher's or 3 Tesoro's or 3 white's or 3 minelab's or 3 garrett's or 3 of any brand and get 3 diff depth readings on each brand. your 15" machine may not work the same in Florida as Ohio..the way you use it might be just a little diff from the other guy,the way you set it up will make a big diff. i had a Tejon that would air test a nickle @ 15"...put it in the ground and only 10" max would it pick up.take the Tejon to salt beach/wet sand and 4" max if that,as you had to turn sensitivity so low...take my Sovereign GT to the same beach and hit dimes @ 15"...so it just goes to show,you just need to have the right machine for the right job! there is NO magic answer here.there is no perfect machine,do all detector.you just need to find a detector you love to use for the job at hand.iv found fault or things id change about every detector iv owned.what we need is a unit called a Transformer.one that we could convert for every scenario we in counter.bottom line ,just enjoy your time out with a good buddy and the thrill of the find will be icing on the cake! respect our wonderful hobby as the time will soon come that you will need a jack hammer to dig your target as black top and cement coat our land.

Willy

Well the closest detector to the 'Transformer' would be a modular Treasure Baron or an XTerra 70 (though considerably less so). Actually, if one were to check out the claims made by owners of oohh, let's say.. Explorers, Tejons, F75's, T2's it would seem that they are each the ultimate deepest do anything detectors. Poor me, gotta do without. ..Willy.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Minelab XT70 with stock 9 inch 7.5 kHz coil. GB set at 45. All metal disc mode. Sens maxed out. Repeatable signal with proper TID of between 36 and 43 - high coin range.

12.5 inches

I couldn't really believe it ID'd the target correctly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread