Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Myself i think the... X-Terra 70 ....is a much better detector it has the flexibility of 3 frequency coil options.A light detector will not play you out .Very easy to learn not complicated like the DFX and will do more than the DFX ......................I would think you would be a lot happier in the long run with the..X-Terra 70...............................................................==Jim==

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Gadabout - Jim said:
Myself i think the... X-Terra 70 ....is a much better detector it has the flexibility of 3 frequency coil options.A light detector will not play you out .Very easy to learn not complicated like the DFX and will do more than the DFX ......................I would think you would be a lot happier in the long run with the..X-Terra 70...............................................................==Jim==

I would tend to agree the X-Terra gives a great deal of versatility for the money. Dan

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and ya don't need three books to learn the xt70.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While adjusting the MTU's on your PC can improve the performance, it's not needed to browse the Internet. The DFX is as simple a turn-on-and-go detector as any other, you just have more options if you choose to use them.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do tend to agree with digger, it's your call if you choose to use "all" the settings on the DFX.

DFX has 2 frequency's; 3 Khz and 15 Khz which can be used in different ways.
HINT: read the manuals of both machines.

The DFX gives you quite a lot of discrimination possibility's:
1. Tone ID this does assign EACH of the 191 VDI numbers an individual sound

2. Signagraph shows bars that show both signal strength (height of the bar) and conductivity, also can reveal iron.
3. VDI numbers which represent the conductivity and the VDI number is based on the signagraph info

4. DC Phase -- This does allow the detector to show a VDI number while pinpointing.

(5. Icons -- not really reliable but some like them others don't.)

I can only comment on the DFX since I have not used the X-Terra.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
My buddy uses a DFX and I use the 70. Our finds are about equal. But he if forever adjusting his for the area we're hunting in, and he's had it since it came out. The 70, I just ground balance, noise cancel, run in all metal and have at it. While the DFX is very well balanced, it's still heavy. The 70 is like a walking stick.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On top of what SD said, I find myself digging a lot of targets faster when using my X-terra 70, like I used to with my Tesoro. I have used an MXT for almost a year and half and used my Dad's DFX for a while and instead of trying to guess if its a good target I go mostly by the tones and its easy when I'm relic hunting. I pay more attention to the VDI when coinshooting for clad. Its just a much easier and lighter detector. I really enjoy using mine and that's really what its all about isn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread