Your opinion on the best detector in the $350 - $500 dollar range

brianblack138

Aug 9, 2006
I've been hunting with an ACE 250 and while i'm sure that the detector is probably better than I am, I still get the feeling that I don't get the depth of some other machines. I live on an old civil war skirmish site that has been a farm since the early 1900's and I would like to do some relic hunting there. I'm also interested in hunting coins (who isn't!). In addition, my parents have retired to a place at the beach in Delaware and i occasionally hunt when i'm visiting them (so sand hunting looking for coins, jewelery and relics). I'd love to have something that could hunt in brine/salt water but my understanding is that is typically a different type of detector in the sense that it doesn't allow for discrimination (what type of target you are detecting).

If I were to buy a machine in the previously stated price range, what would you recommend?

Alternately, should I just take the money and buy a pinpointer and some nice headphones?
(ultimately i'll probably end up buying both, but i'm looking to prioritize since i'm not a millionaire!)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I would look for a good used Sov GT with a WOT coil or put one after you buy it.

It is a great beach detector as long as you dont go too deep in surf to take chance of controls getting wet. On land I know there are a lot of hunters using it for relic hunting. I have 2 Sovereign GTs, they are really good detectors.

If you look on the boards here or depot you can find a good used one for under $500 from a respected board member. You are safe as long as you buy one from a respected member. I have bought 5 used detectors from respected board members and everyone arrived in working condition, some were better then described.

Good luck and good hunting...........

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for that money a explorer xs is the way to go.......works super on beach and land .....its a little to learn but its super deep ......alfonso

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
brianblack138 said:
I've been hunting with an ACE 250 and while i'm sure that the detector is probably better than I am, I still get the feeling that I don't get the depth of some other machines.
<--------------- snip --------------->
I'd love to have something that could hunt in brine/salt water but my understanding is that is typically a different type of detector in the sense that it doesn't allow for discrimination (what type of target you are detecting).

If I were to buy a machine in the previously stated price range, what would you recommend?

Alternately, should I just take the money and buy a pinpointer and some nice headphones?
(ultimately i'll probably end up buying both, but i'm looking to prioritize since i'm not a millionaire!)

In that price range, you have lots of choices. Some better than others. And if you get 50 responses to your post, you could end up with 50 opinions on what to buy. You might consider one of the all-in-one middle of the road MD's that can work in most environments including salt and fresh water, (and maybe highly mineralized soil). I don't know what the soil is like in the various states, but if your putting out the cash anyway, you may as well get an MD that is prepared for most conditions.

You might want to make a list of the pro's and con's of new compared to used, then make note of each MD's abilities and shortcomings. At that price range, you could get a used GoldBug, or Compass, or a new Tesoro or some other newer brand with pretty display and a long guarantee.

Personally, I'm not devoted to relic hunting and with rare exception, iron just doesn't do it for me. There's enough of that in our soil around here already, which means using a detector that can handle it. So, for the time being at least, I'll go for the gold and stick with my old Compass.

F.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Well stated Functional..

I'm with you 100%

I'll stick with my old Compass too. So far, NOTHING has outdone it for discriminating against iron, and nothing has outdone it for depth in bad soil either. It's quiet running and smooth as the rear end of an 18 yr old swimsuit model.

In second place I'll give it to the cz-70,

and 3rd to my old Tesoro Silver Saber.

The GoldBug2 fits somewhere right in the middle of all that too.

EasyMoney

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you're looking at used, there are several good used detectors in that price range you can pickup
where they have been traded in on new machines. Check out a local shop, or check out E-BAY.
If you are wanting to buy new, there are less choices. Most Fishers, Tesoro's are good both
places. I personally would look at Tesoro Vaquero, or Fisher 1236x2. Both have several coil options
that can enhance performance. Single beep, turn on and go machines.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
What sensitivity level are you running on the 250? Have you ever tried running it hot? This means starting out at max sens. Slow your sweep down to help reduce falsing. If you still get too much falsing then reduce your sens down 1 notch. I call this running your detector a little nervous. It may chirp a little but your coins will definately ring out loud. Keep your coil very low and level too.

Now in the wet salt sand you can't do this. Up your disc to high foil and reduce your sen to 3 bars.
Go to youtube and look up crackbadger's videos. I also have a vid there. Look up Ace 250 pinpointing.

OP
OP
B

brianblack138

Aug 9, 2006
Functional said:
brianblack138 said:
I've been hunting with an ACE 250 and while i'm sure that the detector is probably better than I am, I still get the feeling that I don't get the depth of some other machines.
<--------------- snip --------------->
I'd love to have something that could hunt in brine/salt water but my understanding is that is typically a different type of detector in the sense that it doesn't allow for discrimination (what type of target you are detecting).

In that price range, you have lots of choices. Some better than others. And if you get 50 responses to your post, you could end up with 50 opinions on what to buy. You might consider one of the all-in-one middle of the road MD's that can work in most environments including salt and fresh water, (and maybe highly mineralized soil). I don't know what the soil is like in the various states, but if your putting out the cash anyway, you may as well get an MD that is prepared for most conditions.

You might want to make a list of the pro's and con's of new compared to used, then make note of each MD's abilities and shortcomings. At that price range, you could get a used GoldBug, or Compass, or a new Tesoro or some other newer brand with pretty display and a long guarantee.

Personally, I'm not devoted to relic hunting and with rare exception, iron just doesn't do it for me. There's enough of that in our soil around here already, which means using a detector that can handle it. So, for the time being at least, I'll go for the gold and stick with my old Compass.

F.

Good advice Functional. I think i'm probably going to have to decide between several fine models... Making a pro's/cons matrix is a real good idea. I don't know the exact composite of the soil, but we do get quite a few rocks and the soil on my land is about 6 inches of black, fertile soil that is pretty loose and easy to dig, and then harder packed clay. I've been told that we have considerable caverns and underground water around us, but again, I don't know how that messes with the sensitivity.

dazoff: I have not been using earphones, but I think it's time for me to pick some up. Are they the kind of thing I need to lay down a lot of money for, or do I really just need something that will let me hear the finer, quieter sounds of a "hit"?

Khouse: Your youtube video was excellent, it really helped me with pinpointing. I had never known exactly how to tune it, but i had run across the process while hunting a couple of times. I thought it was a fluke, but after watching your video It explained what was happening. I usually run with sensitivity around full or one block less. I'll try hunting with it down at one bar and start by going over my property for silver first, and then combing things for the baser metals.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
brianblack138

Its been a few days and nobody has responded to your last questions, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in again.

You mentioned the beach in Delaware and brine/salt water, which says to me that your going to need an MD that can handle whatever conditions you might find in Delaware. I don't know if the soil in Delaware is bad for iron or not, but you should be prepared and the salt water issue is something that seems to be dealt with better by MD's with manual ground balance. Something to consider when looking at a new MD.

As for black fertile soil, I've found some of my deepest silver in that, (a dime at about 9"). The caverns and underground water shouldn't be much of an issue unless theres tons of gold down there.

On the topic of the headphones, there are a lot of die hard traditionalists that like keeping their ears warm with the old style units, but I don't know that the iPod style ear buds are any less capable of covering the sound spectrum, (at least the portion of it that is audible to humans). So far as I know, most detectors only put out a few different tones, (my old Compass only has one basic tone, but its the minute differences in that tone that tell the tale).

And as far as pinpointing is concerned, some MD's are better at helping you pinpoint than others and its your experience with your MD that will determine if you really need one. In most instances, I use a plastic garden trowel which works in most of the soil and sand where I hunt coinage. It has limited use for nuggets, but when I'm looking for them, I also have a metal one and a tree planters style shovel, (looks a bit like a spade but with a long narrow blade).

F.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote is a used White's M6. Super easy to learn, good depth, wide variety of available coils, tone ID (7 tones). Far and away my favorite detector of all time. [To put that in perspective, I've used the Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Explorer XS, Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett Ace 250, White's DFX, White's BeachHunter ID, Fisher CZ-3D, Fisher 1236-X2, Discovery 3300.]

I'm not sure you can get it new in your price range, but I'm betting you could find a good used unit for that price.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you pick!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
in that price range it's difficult to decide. It seems that lower priced detectors perform just as well, but fewer whistles. If you're looking for a big difference, you need to increase the budget. Although I've heard good things about the Ace 250 and the F2 from fisher, I've also heard the M6 from Whites is good.
It's a hard choice to make, good luck

Sniffer

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
My husband has a Whites M6 and loves it. Maybe you can find a good used one in your price range. Good luck....Pepper

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
looks like you got a mixed groop here.in that price range id have to go with the Sovereign GT and if you wanted to hunt the salt beach it is 2nd to none. with the S12 or WOT coil its hard to beat!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
looks like you got a mixed groop here.in that price range id have to go with the Sovereign GT and if you wanted to hunt the salt beach it is 2nd to none. with the S12 or WOT coil its hard to beat!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!! :icon_thumright:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phillip_in_NM said:
My vote is a used White's M6. Super easy to learn, good depth, wide variety of available coils, tone ID (7 tones). Far and away my favorite detector of all time. [To put that in perspective, I've used the Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Explorer XS, Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett Ace 250, White's DFX, White's BeachHunter ID, Fisher CZ-3D, Fisher 1236-X2, Discovery 3300.]

I'm not sure you can get it new in your price range, but I'm betting you could find a good used unit for that price.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you pick!

I would listen to Philip_in_NM... if he used all them other ones, but per-furs the M6 from White's electronics, that's what I would go for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread