Newb - I want a top line detector... - Just bought the MXT

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4
So, it's taken me 20 years to get into the hobby, and I freaking love it. Had misc. radio shack models through the years, etc. but now I'm wanting something nice, and can finally afford it.

Anyway, my buddy has a Minelab SE and we've been hitting everywhere we can. I want something like the Whites DFX 300 as I've read and watched everything I can about it. I thought it silly to get the same detector as him, as I think it would be better for us both to be able to target questionable objects with two different machines. What I do know I want, is something with a rechargeable pack, back light for night stealth hunts, and something that I won't want to upgrade in the next six months because I outgrew it. I'm very tech savvy, so I'm not worried about tweaking programs etc.

My hunts will be everything from play grounds, beaches, to the gold country up in Northern Ca for a little nugget hunting. I understand there is no one machine that does it all. However, if I could only choose one, and considering we are already hunting with an SE, what other machines out there should I be taking a serious look at besides the DFX? Or, should I forget about just one detector, and instead buy a Gold specific machine for beach and nugget, and then get a coin detector? I'm not sure about the mineral content of our Northern California beaches, so that may not even be an issue.

Thanks guys for any help and advice on my "hunt" for my new detector(s)! I'm ready to pull the trigger yesterday!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Re: Newb - I want a top line detector I can become "one" with

The xterra 70 sounds like what you described.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's

I agree. Sounds like he was describing the 70 to me too.

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

I'll start checking that machine out tonight, thanks!

Also, two detector guru guys I talked with today MD'ing said get the MXT. So, I'm still checking the waters...

Did about $15 in clad today with my Fisher F4, spanked my buddy with his SE. The F4 is FAST, and can go as fast as I can swing it. Would like something that I wont have to slow down too much to use effectively.

Please, any others feel free to chime in ;-)

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used

I'd really compare features and coil selection of both the MXT and the Xterra 70. After you do that, the answer will be clear.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

Don't forget to compare the weight of the units.

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

Weight is a huge issue for me because I know you can only swing for so long before you fatigue.

So, why wouldn't I just get the SE or DFX? I have the money, but I'm checking all angles. I want to buy and use only one unit at this stage, and get to learn it inside out, and have as much flexibility as I can. Then, I may just get a nugget specific unit on down the line. But I noticed with the SE, you can program your frequency from 1 - 100k? Did I read that right? Wouldn't that mean I could just program it to BE a nugget detector when I wanted one? Confused on that part. I understand the 28 frequencies, but did not get too in depth to see if I could specifically choose those, etc.

What confuses me, is that people say the MXT is better on beach and gold than the DFX. So, if I'm going to really consider a Minelab, which they seem like awesome detectors, should I just get the SE and stay on newb programs until I learn it?

Scrolling through multiple menus, tweaking #'s here and there does not scare me in the least. I'm a cellular store owner, and even flash phones, unlock, etc. So I'm way ahead of the tech curve for the most part. I want the most that my money can buy me.

Thanks again for your replys and input!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Look at the MXT for an good all rounder...It takes gold, relics, coins etc. It is designed after the GMT circuit.
GMT is a gold only detector. It also uses a higher frequency I think.
The DFX is more of a coin/relic hunter. I don't know much of the XT70...

The SE does not use 28 frequencies that is only hype. Most are harmonics I have heard. It is an all round machine and can not be turned into a gold machine.

Now back to info:
You want flexibility ----> DFX or SE
You like to program ----> DFX or SE
Not quick to outgrow ---> DFX or SE
Rechargeable batteries ---> DFX & SE
Backlight ---> DFX I don't know if SE has one...

Gold machines would not always bee good on the beach..They are made to detect low conductive metals (gold) and thus it is very sensitive to small targets as well.
Also will you get wet at the beach or only the dry sand?
Also if mineralization is a problem think about a DD coil.

DFX 300 is a DFX with a 12" coil, buy a normal one instead. Rarely will a 12" become usable as an all rounder.
Try to get a DD coil instead as it "sees" less ground if there is much minerals in the area.

If you want a good bang for the buck look at a XP machine or a Nexus even a Red heat machine should do fine. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

Thanks guys. I've slowed the horses on the decision, as I'm digging many more coins and doo dads than my buddy with his SE. In reality, it's only due to the fact that the F4 is light and fast, and covers ground at twice to three times the rate he can. Of course he's digging some pretty cool stuff, older and deeper, but I'm looking for the big buck stuff. Gold rings, etc.

So, at this point right now, I am just like every other noob out there! lol! Looking for the dream machine, that doesn't even exist. The F4 is kicking ass right now. I just found my first gold ring today. I'm really beginning to understand what the old timers are saying about "take any detector and put it in the hands of..."

So, if I could bother you more experienced guys a little more, could you tell me why I would want/need a better machine than an F4 for an all around machine? It seems that if you listen to it, it does not steer you wrong. It's hearing things deeper than the SE too.

Maybe I'm in that space that everything I need is right before my eyes?

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

The Minelab X-70 pretty much does it all. With it's available 18.75 kHz DD coils and prospecting mode (with adjustable iron masking) it does great on gold. From rice size pieces to gold rings. The 10.5" 7.5 DD kHz coil it a fantastic all around coil with great depth and the 9" 3 kHz coil goes very deep on highly conductive items. With both the coin & relic and the prospecting mode, it darn hard to beat. It only weighs 2.9 pounds with the stock coil and is very user friendly. Target ID works very well and it pinpoints with great accuracy. It gets about 30 hours off of 4 AA batteries. It will handle highly mineralized soil with ease and also has a beach prospecting mode. You can buy single purpose detectors that will do better for gold only or beach only, but for the price, the X-70 does everything well. I'm very satisfied with mine. I gold prospect, coin and relic shoot and hope to do some beach hunting before long. The X-70 is the one machine that will do it all without spending a fortune. Give it a hard look before putting down your money. Go to www.findmall.com and look at the x-terra section. You will see the many great finds people are making with it and can learn much about how it operates reading the FAQFAQ section. I think you will be surprised at what it is capable of. Minelab really did their homework on this one.

Good hunting, John K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

I'm not knocking the F4. But I looked in to them when they came out. When I read the on line manual I noticed the ground balance adjustment was for the all metal auto tune mode only. "It took over two weeks of emails to confirm this." The GB is not effective in the discriminate mode. So having a detector with adjustable GB in both modes would give the detector more flexibility to hunt different grounds better. Most all other detectors and brands with adjustable GB is for the two modes. That would include the F5, F7 and F75. I chose a Xterra 70 for all of it's flexibilities. I'm hoping to prospect and salt beach hunt this summer and only wanted to take one detector. So the Xterra 70 was the machine I chose.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Why you should buy one?
I'm wanting something nice, and can finally afford it.
::)
Sorry could not resist that.... ;D

Why get another MD?
1. You can cover more "areas of interest" with 2 MDs (i.e relic hunting, coin shooting etc)
2. When you don't feel like using the one you have (or the stock machine) use the other MD.
3. Some machines will have an advantage over the other MDs you own.

Why the MXT?
1. Designed after the GMT circuit and well proved nugget finder.
2. fairly quick recovery speed and deep
3. Shares coils w/ DFX
4. Good all rounder

Why XP?
One of the most popular in Europe
very quick recovery speed
Good Iron disc
Deep
Hint: If after an XP send RayRedditch (spelling?) an PM.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

??? ??? ???We are all looking for that dream detector look at how many some of us own and still do not have our dream detector ........ I like the X-terra 70 but am now looking at the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq...Never had one but looks like a good all around detector some say it is not good on coins but others say it is great on coins so who knows......

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used

LST-great machine Jim, but of course fixed GB in disc mode.

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

Picked the Whites MXT. Why? Well, I looked at several, tried several, checked out a couple used DFX units, and this one guy totally helped me make up my mind. He was selling a DFX, and we got to talking awhile about gold (I'm less than two hours from Gold Country) and he mentioned that they found 2.5 ounces last weekend, with.... His son's MXT. I politely excused myself and called my dealer and picked up the MXT.

So, how does it work? Well, let's just say that the same spot where my buddy and me were covering my front lawn, him with the SE, and me with the F4, the MXT hit on two quarters that were 7+ inches that we somehow missed before. I'm serious, we COVERED my small lawn together, as I found a 1937 East Africa half shilling in my neighbors lawn, and found a silver chain in mine, so we were like, "The treasure is at our feet!"

Anyway, that's my story, and thanks for the input. It was really because so many people either recommended the MXT, or had one, or had a story about one. The two dealers in my area both use them as their regular detectors.

So, now it's hunting time!

ps. Where is the best place/price for a Sunray Probe? The Bullseye unit is just OK. It did help me find a coin I missed last night, but it's no Sunray by far.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Congrats on the new machine, hope I suggested right... :thumbsup: :tongue3:

HH,
Eu

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

Yah man, I'm stoked. I did a lot of thinking, talking, shopping, etc. The fact that it's a decent gold finder was important for me. And I like knobs, what can I say. From what I understand, the MXT has one of the best ground balancing circuits around, and from what I could tell yesterday, I'd say it is not hype. I was totally surprised that it read a quarter litterally in the same spot that we saw nothing a week back. I thought great, I bought a detector that doesn't know it's a** from a hole in the ground lol!

Plus, it's made in the USA. Do I really need to say more about that part?!?!? (yah, maybe some parts are made somewhere else, who knows, but at least it doesn't have a damn "Made in China" sticker on it!)

I'll post some more as I get it dialed and find some more goodies.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Congrats on the MXT. Buying from a dealer you can go see if you have a problem is a big plus. My hunting partner swings an MXT. Just one day I hope he finds as much as my Xterra 70. We can always hope. :D

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I know the MXT is the big brother to the M6. I have had two M6's and they are pretty nice. But just to give you my thoughts on finding things where you have hunted before. To say that any detector is hitting targets other detectors have missed is a gray area. We are talking different sweep speeds, angles of sweeps and just plain getting your coil over a target. It's my opinion that the only way to judge detectors is to run them over the same target at the time the target is found before digging. I'm not just talking about the MXT. I'm talking about any brand or model. The true test is running several detectors over the same target to see how they all respond. When I hunt with my brother (maybe 3 times a year) we check each other targets. Especially if it's not a clear hit. This is the true test. Heck I have ran maybe 8 different machines over my property and always find something to dig. That doesn't mean the past detectors didn't find it. I believe I just didn't get my coil over it at the right angle. Good luck with the new machine. There's nothing like the smell of a new detector!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread