Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No, FDA stands to help regulate the drug industry.

No drugs needed, no drugs to regulate.

I believe that medicine does many wonderful things, however, big pharma is BIG BUSINESS. As such, it is often only interested in PROFIT.

It's great when they develop a drug that helps cure an illness, but just as good when they create something that mimics what is already found in nature but they can charge an outrageous price for it and create a need for more drugs to treat the side effects of those drugs.

There are charlatans all around us, the FDA answers to them, not us.

Chad, tell us, if your child is diagnosed with melanoma you going with Zelboraf, or are you hopping on a plane to search the Amazon for a natural cure?

The reason drugs are so expensive is the research development and testing cost is so high. A drug can easily cost over a billion dollars to bring to market. Once there, the company faces a relatively short patent protection period until competition starts bringing in clone drugs that do the same thing.

The FDA makes sure no short cuts are taken.

BTW, Zelboraf doubles the life span of seriously ill melanoma patients. How do you think they feel about the most expensive drug?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Native Floridian:

When you have a few spare minutes look into this. It is fascinating. Big drug companies have been saying R&D costs eat into their profits for a very long time. Even when they simply license a drug from another firm.

From Wikipedia (as if you couldn't tell from the footnotes):

Kefauver's Antitrust and Monopoly Subcommittee also held hearings on the pharmaceutical industry between 1959 and 1963 that led to enactment of his most famous legislative achievement, the Kefauver-Harris Drug Act of 1962, after Kefauver expressed shock about the excess profits that U.S. drug companies were taking in at the expense of U.S. consumers. Some of what Kefauver's hearings on the U.S. pharmaceutical industry revealed includes the following:

"Witnesses told of conflicts of interest for the AMA (whose journal, for example, received millions of dollars in drug advertising and was, therefore, reluctant to challenge claims made by drug company ads)…The drug companies themselves were shown to be engaged in frenzied advertising campaigns designed to sell trade name versions of drugs that could otherwise be prescribed under generic names at a fraction of the cost; this competition, in turn, had led to the marketing of new drugs that were no improvements on drugs already on the market but, nevertheless, heralded as dramatic breakthroughs without proper concern for either effectiveness or safety."[SUP][5][/SUP]

At that time, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had limited authority to require efficacy standards or disclose risks. Kefauver was accused of expanding the power of government excessively, interfering with the freedom of doctors and patients, and threatening the viability of the pharmaceutical industry. His legislation seemed likely to fail. However, at the end of 1961, European and Australian doctors reported that an epidemic of children born with deformities of their arms and legs was caused by their use of thalidomide, which was heavily marketed to pregnant women.[SUP][6][/SUP]

====

Read the story of those hearings!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lima beans contain cyanide, and almonds contain trace amounts of arsenic. Hell, even eating too many carrots will turn your skin orange! Unbelievable!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've been using herbal medicine for a very long time. Just as I've said before.. no drug is 100% on everyone, either herbal or prescription. I always get regular check-ups from my doctors, but many times I will use a natural drug if possible.

It's been said that about 1/3 of the prescription drugs comes from plants.. but Big Pharma can't patent a plant.
So, you think big drug companies are just-getting-by with all the research needed to bring a drug to market?

Think again!

RXCoNetIncomes.jpg

If you're thinking about using herbal medicine, make sure you do full research!
And always take a small amount to see if you have any side effects.

"... but let's legalize pot."
This is one plant you really need to do your research on!
Here, I'll help ya. The list is long, be sure you go to the bottom of the list..
Granny Storm Crow's list- July 2009 update

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
canada friends ...ive had to use Canadas system. It was like, witch doctor level medicine...but hey, it was free after waiting 4 hours
missingmyrs: i couldn't imagine worrying about getting hurt and not be able to afford it
missingmyrs: total cost in canada, ZERO.
missingmyrs: and you guys bash canada's health care system.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Walnuts Are Drugs, Says FDA

November 22nd, 2013

(NewAmerican) - Seen any walnuts in your medicine cabinet lately? According to the Food and Drug Administration, that is precisely where you should find them. Because Diamond Foods made truthful claims about the health benefits of consuming walnuts that the FDA didn’t approve, it sent the company a letter declaring, “Your walnut products are drugs” — and “new drugs” at that — and, therefore, “they may not legally be marketed … in the United States without an approved new drug application.” The agency even threatened Diamond with “seizure” if it failed to comply.
Diamond Food Inc. 2/22/10

Diamond’s transgression was to make “financial investments to educate the public and supply them with walnuts,” as William Faloon of Life Extension magazine put it. On its website and packaging, the company stated that the omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts have been shown to have certain health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer. These claims, Faloon notes, are well supported by scientific research: “Life Extension has published 57 articles that describe the health benefits of walnuts”; and “The US National Library of Medicine database contains no fewer than 35 peer-reviewed published papers supporting a claim that ingesting walnuts improves vascular health and may reduce heart attack risk.”
FDA Says Walnuts Are Illegal Drugs ? Life Extension

This evidence was apparently not good enough for the FDA, which told Diamond that its walnuts were “misbranded” because the “product bears health claims that are not authorized by the FDA.”

The FDA’s letter continues: “We have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease.” Furthermore, the products are also “misbranded” because they “are offered for conditions that are not amenable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners; therefore, adequate directions for use cannot be written so that a layperson can use these drugs safely for their intended purposes.” Who knew you had to have directions to eat walnuts?

“The FDA’s language,” Faloon writes, “resembles that of an out-of-control police state where tyranny [reigns] over rationality.” He adds:

This kind of bureaucratic tyranny sends a strong signal to the food industry not to innovate in a way that informs the public about foods that protect against disease. While consumers increasingly reach for healthier dietary choices, the federal government wants to deny food companies the ability to convey findings from scientific studies about their products.

Walnuts aren’t the only food whose health benefits the FDA has tried to suppress. Producers of pomegranate juice and green tea, among others, have felt the bureaucrats’ wrath whenever they have suggested that their products are good for people.

Meanwhile, Faloon points out, foods that have little to no redeeming value are advertised endlessly, often with dubious health claims attached. For example, Frito-Lay is permitted to make all kinds of claims about its fat-laden, fried products, including that Lay’s potato chips are “heart healthy.” Faloon concludes that “the FDA obviously does not want the public to discover that they can reduce their risk of age-related disease by consuming healthy foods. They prefer consumers only learn about mass-marketed garbage foods that shorten life span by increasing degenerative disease risk.”

Faloon thinks he knows why this is the case. First, by stifling competition from makers of more healthful alternatives, junk food manufacturers, who he says “heavily lobb[y]” the federal government for favorable treatment, will rake in ever greater profits. Second, by making it less likely that Americans will consume healthful foods, big pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers stand to gain by selling more “expensive cardiac drugs, stents, and coronary bypass procedures” to those made ill by their diets.

But people are starting to fight back against the FDA’s tactics. “The makers of pomegranate juice, for example, have sued the FTC for censoring their First Amendment right to communicate scientific information to the public,” Faloon reports. Congress is also getting into the act with a bill, the Free Speech About Science Act (H.R. 1364), that, Faloon writes, “protects basic free speech rights, ends censorship of science, and enables the natural health products community to share peer-reviewed scientific findings with the public.”

Of course, if the Constitution were being followed as intended, none of this would be necessary. The FDA would not exist; but if it did, as a creation of Congress it would have no power to censor any speech whatsoever. If companies are making false claims about their products, the market will quickly punish them for it, and genuine fraud can be handled through the courts. In the absence of a government agency supposedly guaranteeing the safety of their food and drugs and the truthfulness of producers’ claims, consumers would become more discerning, as indeed they already are becoming despite the FDA’s attempts to prevent the dissemination of scientific research. Besides, as Faloon observed, “If anyone still thinks that federal agencies like the FDA protect the public, this proclamation that healthy foods are illegal drugs exposes the government’s sordid charade.”

Source: The New American

uh huh ? uh huh ? uh huh ? sure ? sure right ? right ? yep ? and what do they have to say about beer nuts ? go ahead and dash my last iota of any hope for my potato brain ? everybody is familiar with my potato brain problem right ? i have no hope any more i'm just a hollow core ! the doctors just take your money " no guarantee's anymore " so just send me your money and i'll cross my fingers for ya ! has'ny anybody found me a good luck charm yet ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I've been using herbal medicine for a very long time. Just as I've said before.. no drug is 100% on everyone, either herbal or prescription. I always get regular check-ups from my doctors, but many times I will use a natural drug if possible.

It's been said that about 1/3 of the prescription drugs comes from plants.. but Big Pharma can't patent a plant.
So, you think big drug companies are just-getting-by with all the research needed to bring a drug to market?

Think again!

View attachment 903349

If you're thinking about using herbal medicine, make sure you do full research!
And always take a small amount to see if you have any side effects.

"... but let's legalize pot."
This is one plant you really need to do your research on!
Here, I'll help ya. The list is long, be sure you go to the bottom of the list..
Granny Storm Crow's list- July 2009 update

not that i doubt ya ! but where and how did you acquire these figures ? and who do i go to see to figure ? WHERE'S MY CUT ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread