Here comes the beginning of the pandemic

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebola patient to be treated at Emory University Hospital

Updated: 6:13 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014 | Posted: 2:12 p.m. Thursday, July 31, 2014

ATLANTA —

Emory University Hospital officials said they have been informed that there are plans to transfer a patient with the Ebola virus infection to a special containment unit at their facility.

The Hospital has a special isolation unit set up in collaboration with the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to treat patients with serious infectious diseases.

A spokeswoman told Channel 2 Action News she did not know when the patient would arrive, but confirmed the patient is from west Africa. The Associated Press reported the patient is an American aid worker.

"It is physically separate from other patient areas and has unique equipment and infrastructure that provide an extraordinarily high level of clinical isolation," a spokesman said in a release.

The hospital said doctors, nurses and staff are trained in procedures to handle this type of patient.

The hospital is only one of four such facilities in the country.

CDC issues travel warning

The CDC issued a level three travel warning Thursday as the west Africa Ebola outbreak worsened.

Officials are warning people to avoid nonessential travel to the West-African nations of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

“This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history. Far too many lives have been lost already,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “It will take many months, and it won’t be easy, but Ebola can be stopped. We know what needs to be done. CDC is surging our response, sending 50 additional disease control experts to the region in the next 30 days.”

The CDC is also hoping to prevent, detect and stop Ebola and other outbreaks before they spread by screening and educating those in West Africa to prevent sick travelers from getting on planes.

Airlines on alert

Airline officials were told to notify the CDC before ill passengers board a plane. The CDC will then investigate ill passengers and quarantine them if necessary.

Channel 2's Dave Huddleston spoke with officials at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport who said customs and border protection agents are on heightened alert to watch for people with flu like symptoms.

At this time, the CDC will not screen passengers traveling from the affected countries, but will provide guidance to airlines for managing ill passengers and crew for disinfecting the aircraft.

The CDC noted that transmission of Ebola happens through direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected, symptomatic person or exposure to objects like needles that have been contaminated with infected secretions.

Over the next five years, the U.S. has committed to working with at least 30 partner countries to improve their ability to prevent, detect, and effectively respond to infectious disease threats—whether naturally occurring or caused by accidental or intentional release of pathogens.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YIKES!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
come live on an island - no worries!:thumbsup:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do wonder if the info that a patient is coming here is accurate. .we shall see!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RJc!! BE READY!! The follow up sequel to the Black Plague!! This stuff is DEADLY!! I'm certain the plans are to get an infected patient over here and try to develop a vaccine for it!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Heard a news report that one aid worker died EN ROUTE from Africa ... on a commercial airliner.

My understanding is that most bleed out. As the virus is spread by bodily fluids, why weren't all of the people on the plane quarantined?

I hope something changes because if the government does as much to protect us from the spread of this disease as they are doing to stop 10 year old kids from entering the country illegally, we may be in for trouble.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is some scary stuff for sure Red and not to be taken lightly. What with illegals coming in and spreading highly contagious maladies and now this,the CDC is gonna have their hands full.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This would be a good time for everyone to review Stephen King's, "The Stand."

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder who's idea this was?

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to be we would have never let this happen. We would have isolated all passengers coming from affected countries whether they liked it or not and had them screened before release, that's what we did at Ellis Island for decades and kept foreign born illness out of the country.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking person is an American and that's why

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just like the new tv show ' last ship'

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The two people coming back to the US are American doctors. They were treating the sick.

What you may not realize is that they are the perfect guinea pigs to see what is happening with the illness while providing the ability to look for solutions in a very controlled environment with lots of resources.

Wise decision if you are looking for a cure.

Bad decision if the virus get's loose.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
One of the patients has the same last name as me...
Wonder if we're kin? I'm not going to see him to find out! :laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two people coming back to the US are American doctors. They were treating the sick.

What you may not realize is that they are the perfect guinea pigs to see what is happening with the illness while providing the ability to look for solutions in a very controlled environment with lots of resources.

Wise decision if you are looking for a cure.

Bad decision if the virus get's loose.

Good synopsis.

I also think that the doctors want the personal glory for working on it. Vanity vs safe public policy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread