Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess this is as good as any place else to put this topic. What kind of vegetables or lettuces do you grow in the early Fall? We're thinking of doing a smallish garden with beets and Swiss chard. We tried turnip greens one year and while they were good,we had enough for the CSA army and I got tired of picking so a lot went to waste. I'm think chard may not get so big.if you do grow a garden in the Fall recipes too would be much appreciated..

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey, neighbor..

Well with the "summer garden" coming to a close, we turn our attention to fruits and a trip to the mill to get sorghum syrup is planned.

Went to the vineyard yesterday and picked about 30 pounds of muscadines. We go to the Morris Vineyard aka: Tennessee Mountainview Winery, every year to pick and make jelly. Also picked up a couple of bottles of blackberry wine!

Even went ginseng hunting last week! I love the Fall!
10247233_942092082484403_4691579992486795613_n.jpg

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coily, just put the garden to bed...picked all the tomatos to ripen as all the hot peppers dry, orget turned into relish. I now have turned my attention to the woods, and the gathering of chanterelles, and other mushrooms. I have started gathering medicinal roots, sumac berries( make an excellent drink ans syrup), rosehips and nuts, hunting season has started so slowly filling the freezer.....this is one of the best times of the year when you can reap the fruits and nuts from the bounty of nature, and the long work in the garden.....the second best time is the spring when all is renewed, and the cycle starts again.......Gary

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my absolute FAVORITE seed supplier, but even if you don't buy from them, take a look at their Fall garden collections to get some good ideas.

Kitchen Garden Seeds This site has a cookbook as well for recipe ideas!

I have not purchased any of their fall gardens, but have purchased seeds for lettuce, tomatoes, beets, bright lights chard, kale, and butternut squash and they all germinated well and I was quite pleased with the varieties.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my absolute FAVORITE seed supplier, but even if you don't buy from them, take a look at their Fall garden collections to get some good ideas.

Kitchen Garden Seeds This site has a cookbook as well for recipe ideas!

I have not purchased any of their fall gardens, but have purchased seeds for lettuce, tomatoes, beets, bright lights chard, kale, and butternut squash and they all germinated well and I was quite pleased with the varieties.
TH ka Abby normal and welcome to the forum. I got so e Swiss chard(the rainbow variety) planted a few days ago and still am having trouble finding beet seeds. Will give your catalog you suggested a look. Number 9 is well stocked for the season with yummy makings for wine and jelly I see! GMD52, I think foraging would be loads of fun,I have always been intrigued with "the old ways" and foraging for food.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread brings back some vivid memories. When I was growing up, my dad wouldn't live anywhere that didn't have a space for a garden. He bought a place in the mid '40s at the edge of town. We had a large garden space, enough pasture for a cow and calf, built a barn for hay and feed, a pen for up to 4 hogs, and a fenced area for about 15 to 20 chickens. Every year my mom would can a lot of vegetables from the garden. Sometimes some of the neighborhood women, some of them being kinfolk, would come over and help with the canning. Mom would give them some of the proceeds. In the fall Dad would have a couple of hogs butchered and put in the locker. We had our cow for milk and butter; and buttermilk! We also had about 4 or 5 peach trees in the garden and beside the house. I really enjoyed those times; even though I was just a kid, I still remember them.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a whole lot of work to do on my farm. Right now I'm a tad lazy, just enjoying the "release" of retirement. The Winter brings outbuilding repairs and cutting firewood. When I was a kid Granny had two gardens and canned everything she could. I still have a bunch of her jars but have to save them from the collapsing wash house. I can't retrieve the jars until Winter and the snakes go away. Towards the end of Winter I need to prepare a garden area, maybe do some square foot gardening, or some of what used to be called French Intensive gardening. Supposedly, according to Mother Earth News, you can feed one person for a year with vegetables on 140 sq ft - that's an area 10' x 14' - which isn't very much. Utilizing all available space in an acre - that's the equivalent of feeding 32 people for a year. Calculating square footage, a football field is essentially an acre. I've got some heavy homesteading to do on this end! It is a formidable task in view of the To Do list.....

Here's a picture of me, my daughter & her boyfriend rummaging through the back part of the wash house last Winter..... I'm in the blue shirt....

922724_10151466511008108_992736058_n.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread