Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By stefen
  • 1 Post By aa battery
  • 1 Post By Chisos

Thread: Eyes go red and stingy after swimming because of urine, not chlorine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17038 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

Eyes go red and stingy after swimming because of urine, not chlorine

Eyes go red and stingy after swimming because of urine, not chlorine - Science - News - The Independent

Andrew Griffin Thursday 25 June 2015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swimming-pool-getty.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1179289

The red, bloodshot eyes that people get after being in a swimming pool aren’t caused by chlorine, as thought — but by what happens when people urinate in the water.

People weeing in the pool means the urine reacts with chlorine to create a chemical compound that hurts the eyes, according to the US’s Healthy Swimming Program. And those chemicals can also create poisonous gases that can damage lungs, hearts and nervous systems.

“That ‘chlorine’ smell at the pool isn’t actually chlorine,” said Chris Wiant, chair of the US Water Quality and Health Council. “What you smell are chemicals that form when chlorine mixes with pee, sweat and dirt from swimmers’ bodies.”

Experts have pointed out that despite the story told to children that a dye in the water will show if they’ve urinated in the pool — as almost half of Americans believe — it’s actually very difficult to tell when it has happened. In fact, having red eyes are the biggest indicator, according to the National Swimming Pool Foundation.

Weeing into chlorinated swimming pools actually depletes the effect of the chlorine, meaning that more might need to be poured in. And even if it is, chlorine doesn’t get rid of the most common illnesses — many bacteria can continue to live on for days in the pool, once they’re in.

Experts say that bathers and swimmers must be extra careful to ensure that they’re properly washed before they get in, and relieve themselves elsewhere.

“The solution isn’t rocket science; it’s common courtesy,” said Michele Hlavsa, chief of the US Center for Disease Control’s Healthy Swimming Program. “Swimmers should use the pool to swim, the restroom to pee and the showers to wash up before getting in the pool. It’s that simple
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

stefen
    For that very reason we didn't permit swimming in our toilet, as well.

us
    Oct 2006
    2502 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    when i was a kid we were swimming indoors in Santa Cruz and i stepped on poop at the bottom of the shallow end. Everyone out of the pool
    stefen likes this.

Aug 2012
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    OMG. Now I don't want to visit the pool anymore. The San Antonio River is a polluted mess, our lakes are going dry so I guess my bathtub is it.
    pepperj likes this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16312 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisos View Post
    OMG. Now I don't want to visit the pool anymore. The San Antonio River is a polluted mess, our lakes are going dry so I guess my bathtub is it.
    It had a funny look and smell to it 35 yrs ago, is it worse today?

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links