lisinopril and other ACE inhibitors

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If any of you are on an ACE inhibitor I will STRONGLY encourage you to find a different method of controlling the hypertension you have. These medications are bad news and 99% of the doctors out there refuse to acknowledge any of the very real dangers that can happen while on these medications.

I am house bound right now for an indeterminate amount of time due to a life threatening reaction to lisinopril. The ACE inhibitor series of medications can cause an acute pulmonary edema for no apparent reason. In other words, your lungs will fill with fluid and you will drown.

I had been on lisinopril for 5 months prior and ended up in the E.R. here for an acute pulmonary edema with hypoxia totally out of the blue. Whether or not this has caused permanent damage remains to be seen as the docs now claim that I am in the early stages of COPD due to smoking, yet I pretty much quit smoking over 5 months ago and prior x rays show no signs of COPD and I had been breathing very freely with test showing vastly increased lung function before the lisinopril.

Most doctors refuse to acknowledge these dangers and will do their best to misdirect you onto other causes, much to your downfall. I know mine did. Now I sit here feeling like I can't breathe and have to use an inhaler to keep my lung function up right now. All the problems I was having were relayed to my doctor, who just ignored them as he thought I was just seeking disability.

And they wonder why the medical malpractice lawsuit rate is so high.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even my PCP, who has seen me recover completely from some pretty serious injury, doesn't think I'm coming back from this one. Hard to recover when you can't breathe right.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Perhaps I need to look into it a bit as I

Here's hoping the doc is wrong about your likelihood of a full recovery.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I have been on Lisinopril for 3 years with out any problems, In the last few days I started having the same problems you are revering to. When I went back into my Dr they gave me a shot to break it up in my lungs, took me off of Lisinopril and put me on Losartan Potassium. My breathing is getting better. Thank you for the information. How are you doing now?

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even my PCP, who has seen me recover completely from some pretty serious injury, doesn't think I'm coming back from this one. Hard to recover when you can't breathe right.

Howdy MM,

Hope you are still with us, I just found this thread. I had high blood pressure for many years, and refused to take prescribed medication for it, and refused to change my diet. I tried several natural remedies such as diatomaceous earth which did bring it down some. About a year ago I found out about Moringa, the tree of life, as it is known. It is packed with minerals, vitamins, and every thing else the body needs. It is good for many things, hypertension being one of 300.

I had just been on it for one month when I went to visit my doctor, I was surprised when I heard 120 over 80. I went again this month, and again heard, and read, 120 over 80. It has one of the highest anti-oxidant levels known to man. I take the capsule form out of convenience. Just google Moringa together with any disease you may have, to find out if it will help you.

Homar

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm still alive and kicking everyone. Doctor are letting me return to my day job after the first of the year. I am still limited on what I can do but it's not like that has ever stopped me from doing anything. Right now the fear is that I will not know when to back off. The docs think I may have just quite literally wore my body out with working the way I had been. Keeping your work boots on 16-18 hours day, 6, sometimes 7 days a week catches up with you eventually I guess.

I am also being told that the odds of me returning to mining for myself are somewhere between a snowball's chance and none. SO my response to the doc was then there is still a chance. He looked at me like I was crazy and I told him there always the chance that hell will freeze over thus giving that snowball a better then average chance.

I am trying to get my head wrapped around Autodesk Fusion 360 which is a rather powerful and free CAD/CAM program. If I can't do the physical labor then I'll go heavily mechanized. If there isn't a machine designed to do what I want, then I will use my abilities and experience to design and build it. If all goes right over the next 6 months or so, I'll have a 40,x60, shop here with an overhead 5 ton crane to work with.

Maybe, just maybe, I can figure out a way for everyone to do this stuff without working themselves to near death like I did.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmm....

And I look on my medicine shelf and see a full script of lisinopril, which I've hesitated to take.

Quite a timely post! Thanks!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just refilled mine today.
I've gotten a Rattle in my Cough since about the same time I started on them.
& never thought about this.

Wednesday morning is my next 6 month checkup. I guess I'll have to bring this up but
my Guess he already knows that he knows more about meds then me.
so I am guessing I will just be talking to myself as usual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, this stuff is bad news. The pulmonary edema side effect is well known by the doctors. When I brought it up, the doctor told me my job is to take the medication prescribed and they will manage the risk. Like I told them, you can manage the risk all you want when it is your life on the line. They have since changed the Lisinopril to Losartan and I have no problems now.

It is really funny in the fact that I went through a bought of this when I was younger. I was placed on Accupril and Digoxin to help deal with it. After a few years on the medication, I fully recovered and was taken off the medication. When I asked about being placed back on the Accupril and Digoxin, since it worked before, the doctor told me they were worried about the possibility of Digoxin poisoning. So I looked at the doctor and said so much for managing the risk huh? And I asked so how much is Big Pharma paying you?

For those that don't know, Digoxin is made from the leaves of the Purple Fox Glove plant. It is EXTREMELY toxic. A small handle full of leaves WILL kill you if you chew on them.

Time to do some more research. We looked at my diet from when we were living in PA and when we first moved down here to Arizona. When we first moved here in 2008, my diet changed in the fact that we were eating a lot of chili peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, etc., i.e. capsaicin. So we are off to where I am eating a lot more of them again and feeling a lot better. I'll keep ya all posted on the results.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad i found this, a year ago doctor said my blood pressure needed help an he put me on lisinopril after about 3 weeks of taking it my lips started to swell an i had 2 red lines running from my face down to my chest on on each side of my neck and i noticed my breathing getting alittle harder, I called the doctors office they told me to stop taking it and if my symtoms got worse or persisted to go to the ER, Well after a few days i was feeling better, I knew right them it was time for a change. I stopped drinking loads of pop which has sodium in it also stop drinking alcohol all together and cut back my salt intake with food and went back to the doctor after about a month an took my blood pressure an said 120/72 , told me to keep a check on it an come back in a month, Went back one month later an was the same, He ask me what i was doing as my pressure was always alittle high before an i told him, He said keep up the good work an i'll see you in 6 months :) That was 1 year ago and i am still doing the same thing with the same results. My BP is still good ! I have changed the way i eat alot as well as no alcohol and no soft drinks, Its water an caffeine free coffee for me, Oh i have alittle orange juice from time to time also so what we intake DOES effect our bodies we just have to say no.............

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad i found this, a year ago doctor said my blood pressure needed help an he put me on lisinopril after about 3 weeks of taking it my lips started to swell an i had 2 red lines running from my face down to my chest on on each side of my neck and i noticed my breathing getting alittle harder, I called the doctors office they told me to stop taking it and if my symtoms got worse or persisted to go to the ER, Well after a few days i was feeling better, I knew right them it was time for a change. I stopped drinking loads of pop which has sodium in it also stop drinking alcohol all together and cut back my salt intake with food and went back to the doctor after about a month an took my blood pressure an said 120/72 , told me to keep a check on it an come back in a month, Went back one month later an was the same, He ask me what i was doing as my pressure was always alittle high before an i told him, He said keep up the good work an i'll see you in 6 months :) That was 1 year ago and i am still doing the same thing with the same results. My BP is still good ! I have changed the way i eat alot as well as no alcohol and no soft drinks, Its water an caffeine free coffee for me, Oh i have alittle orange juice from time to time also so what we intake DOES effect our bodies we just have to say no.............

I don't buy into the alcohol part of it nor do I believe that cigarettes cause it. First time around, I never quite drinking or smoking, same thing this time around, never quite either. My heart function has returned to normal for now with my blood pressure of 115/75. And my salt intake is probably twice what yours was.

Now what I DO believe is the fact that we can push our bodies hard enough that it starts to shut down in order to give us a "warning" to back off. When this happened, the second time, I was working 12+ hours a day, 6, sometimes 7 days a week, in a heat index of 130+ degrees. Even now, I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off in the 105+ degrees temps of our lovely Arizona summers. BUT I told the doctor to shove his low salt diet where the sun don't shine.

Side Effects of Low Potassium & Low Sodium | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

What they think might be happening is the fact that I was drinking so much water that in those conditions that I was complicating an existing condition by quite literally washing the much needed sodium and potassium right out of my body. My employer wouldn't get us anything like PowerAde or Gatorade because of cost reductions and our idiot safety department flipping out about the sodium in the sports drinks. Guess they missed the day that explained what is lost when you sweat profusely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread