Are pomegranates a fountain of youth?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Pomegranates contain ingredient that strengthens ageing muscles and extends life | Daily Mail Online

Are pomegranates a fountain of youth? Fruit contains 'miracle' ingredient that strengthens ageing muscles and extends life

Mitochondria - tiny 'battery packs' that power our cells - run down with age
But eating pomegranates was found to power them up again
Chemicals in pomegranates are turned into a compound called urolithin A
This helps body recycle recharge cells and therefore keep ageing at bay

By Fiona Macrae Science Correspondent For The Daily Mail

Published: 10:00 EST, 11 July 2016 | Updated: 13:34 EST, 11 July 2016

The humble pomegranate may old the secret to a long and healthy life.

Scientists say the Middle Eastern fruit contains a ‘miracle’ ingredient that strengthens ageing muscles and extends life.

With experiments in worms and mice producing results that ‘are nothing sort of amazing’, they are now testing the fountain of youth supplement on people.

Even something as simple as keeping muscles young could reduce the number of falls among the elderly and increase independence, allowing people to live in their own homes for longer.

The Swiss scientists said: ‘We believe this research is a milestone in anti-ageing efforts.’

Their excitement centres on the pomegranate’s ability to keep mitochondria, the tiny 'battery packs' that power our cells, charged up.

Normally, mitochondria run down with age, making them less effective or even toxic and, it is thought, leading to muscle weakening and frailty.

However, chemicals in pomegranates are turned into a compound called urolithin A by the bugs that live in the gut.

The urolithin A then helps the body recycle these drained battery packs, recharging cells and holding ageing at bay.

In one experiment, worms given urolithin A lived almost 50 per cent longer.

In another, elderly mice were able to run 42 per cent further after just six weeks of treatment.

Trials in people are underway and, given that the supplement works in species as diverse as worms and mice, the researchers are very hopeful they will be a success.

Pomegranates are already credited with a host of health benefits, including lowering blood pressure and strengthening bones and its juice is a popular breakfast drink.

One of the world's oldest fruits, the pomegranate has been a symbol of fertility, death and eternity.

Some believe the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden was a pomegranate rather than an apple.

But, before you rush out and stock up on the cartons of juice or bags of pomegranates, you should be aware that they will not necessarily hold back the hands of time.

This is because the amount of urolithin A made after eating a pomegranate varies widely, depending on which bugs someone has in their gut. And some of us just don’t make any at all.

With this in mind, the researchers, from the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne have founded a company that makes urolithin A capsules.

Human trials are underway, with 30 people taking one a day with breakfast.

If successful, the capsules could be marketed as a supplement to keep muscles strong in those aged 50-plus.

Researcher Patrick Aebischer said: ‘It's a completely natural substance, and its effect is powerful and measurable.’

Co-author Johan Auwerz said: ‘The nutritional approach opens up territory that traditional pharma has never explored.

‘It’s a true shift in the scientific paradigm.’

Those who are willing to take a gamble, but don’t like pomegranates, should know that walnuts, raspberries and blackberries all contain the miracle ingredient, just in lower amounts.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, blackberry tea sounds good.
I'll look for pomegranate at the super store,if I can remember.
Surely I'm hosting bugs of some sort ,hopefully good ones.:icon_scratch:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to try pomegranates for 6 weeks and see if I notice a change.Hopefully I can detect 42% longer after the 6 weeks.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful Pomegranate Tree for Sale | Fast Growing Trees

I'm thinking maybe I should have a tree or two in my orchard. I'll think about it a while... But I don't recall having seen the fruits in stores around here, so the only way to get it would be in processed or whatever form - not fresh. Just hadn't considered them before.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
We have two of these tree on our property here; they grow wild all over though. We do lots of canning in my family, we grow most everything we consume, or we harvest it from the bush, sea or hunt it and trade for other things.

Every year my wife spends about 2 weeks making caned goods from jams, smoked meat patty, cheeses, nut butters, sauces, but also juices as well. She cranks out roughly 3,000 liters of juices in 500 mil bottles.

Pomegranate is the persimmon of the med; really does not matter where you go you will always find it. Taste really good to.

I do not know if it makes people better or age different, if anything when it comes to muscle endurance you want to have fresh red beet juice. I drink this daily as well, this will make you go much further.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know if it makes people better or age different, if anything when it comes to muscle endurance you want to have fresh red beet juice. I drink this daily as well, this will make you go much further.

That's interesting OJ, I'd not heard of this before. Perhaps a separate thread devoted to this? I have multiple juicers, but I don't have red beets this year.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's interesting OJ, I'd not heard of this before. Perhaps a separate thread devoted to this? I have multiple juicers, but I don't have red beets this year.

anther thread for this I bet would go crazy. I just would not know how to start that off. I have my own way of gardening and how I do things. We have 15 acre plot right on the beach but I only use about 2 acres of that for all my vegi's, coffee, tea's, herbs, nuts and so on. But we do harvest lots out of the bush as well, like during the mushroom seasons, got lots of places for these and normally have a good 20 kilograms dried at the end of the year.

Anyway, pomegranate juice I think is best when it is ice cold. making jam with it my wife uses uses brown sugar and slow cooks it like you would Maple or Birch syrup's. Turns out great if you use half pulp from a juicer and whole fruit to make it. But it also turns a good ice cream as well.

Its one of those fruits that you can use for many things.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have such bad luck (incompetency!) with my garden, this year I'm all fruits. I've raspberries, blackberries, blue berries, strawberries, grapes and wine berries. Just retired and moved home less than 2 years ago = my first garden was last year. Veggies were a disaster, and for example of 12 raspberry plants, 3 survived. I had the wrong location, for one a Black Walnut tree shadowing half the garden, and some plants just can't live under that - it poisons the soil for them. Another mistake was mail ordering plants, they just don't survive. I bought four mulberry dwarfs this year and one survived. You have to have two for their sexually explicit fruit production.... Sly bit of humor there.

This year I'm not doing veggies, just berries. Maybe next Spring I'll move the veggie garden up above my house. Slow starting this year after last year's frustration... But now I'm going back at the berries and expect actual plant maturity in another two years.

I'm on Amazon right now looking at pomegranate, and just can't pull the trigger due to my experience purchasing mail order plants.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have such bad luck (incompetency!) with my garden, this year I'm all fruits. I've raspberries, blackberries, blue berries, strawberries, grapes and wine berries. Just retired and moved home less than 2 years ago = my first garden was last year. Veggies were a disaster, and for example of 12 raspberry plants, 3 survived. I had the wrong location, for one a Black Walnut tree shadowing half the garden, and some plants just can't live under that - it poisons the soil for them. Another mistake was mail ordering plants, they just don't survive. I bought four mulberry dwarfs this year and one survived. You have to have two for their sexually explicit fruit production.... Sly bit of humor there.

This year I'm not doing veggies, just berries. Maybe next Spring I'll move the veggie garden up above my house. Slow starting this year after last year's frustration... But now I'm going back at the berries and expect actual plant maturity in another two years.

I'm on Amazon right now looking at pomegranate, and just can't pull the trigger due to my experience purchasing mail order plants.

Wow, man I am sorry to hear about your pain. We did far better this year compared to the years before. That is because my wife got one of those Bokashi composting systems. Before we used a 700 gallon Juro composting system, now she got some of these from Bokashi, then we drop it into our Jura system for another 4 weeks and then mix in with a half sub-terrain composter.

It is perfect, that things is giving us Black Gold within 9 weeks and the plants have gone crazy with it. I built a little raised bed about 100 X 100 feet of nothing but Spelt. That stuff already looks like it should for harvest when it comes to size, but it still have 14 more weeks. That is going to make some great flower.

At our place in Germany we put in a good size potato garden, about 200X200 feet, but mixed in lots that Black Gold all around. My brother in law sent me pics the other day of the area and it is looking great with plants at 4-5 feet tall.

My tobacco (chew cost lots of money of money in Europe) is monster size. I have plants that stand a good 9 feet tall.

My wife normally never got involved with my gardening but this year she said she wanted one of those and I figured well why not, gives me another reason to buy more stuff and expand our garden operations. LOL She has done great and even got me looking at new things.

I hear you on black walnuts, but we have them all over the wild here, as well as chestnuts and beachnuts.

You know if you have issues growing stuff then go find you a marsh area in the bush and plant there. grow my carrots in the bush just because I do not want to deal with them. I did beets that way 5 years ago. Lots will grow wild under the right conditions in the bush; marshland helps.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Start one you two.(An agreeing suggestion, not a demand.)
Kick it around.
I'd tack it on Deeps homesteading , but anywhere is fine.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You've given me more to research!

Of late - a month now - I've been picking up compost tumblers - 3rd one the other day off Craigslist. Supposed to produce compost in 4 weeks. I'll see about that in another 3 weeks, but seeing black soil in them already.

I'd never heard the term "Bokashi" until your post. I'll be looking further into that for sure. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd tack it on Deeps homesteading , but anywhere is fine.

I've been kinda absent from my "Homesteading" thread this year. Almost posted there today, but I guess I have to confess to being a human in the face of pure disappointment from last year. I just couldn't post an update there. This year I'm berries, and trying to get more into soil sciences.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been kinda absent from my "Homesteading" thread this year. Almost posted there today, but I guess I have to confess to being a human in the face of pure disappointment from last year. I just couldn't post an update there. This year I'm berries, and trying to get more into soil sciences.

A new thread in survival forum then ,maybe on makin do best we can.

My elderberry was looking good at year four until I borrowed a tractor.....
Still four pepper plans with about three peppers trying to grow, so there's a bounty on it's way, maybe.
Plantain mowed instead of harvested but new leaves are coming.
Watching a couple mullein plants still,as well as burdock.

Disappointment for trying? Or ,experience leads to greater success.

Ooops, edit, (elderberry ,not mulberry.)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love pomegranates. been eating them for years when ever they are in season, I also buy the juice in the stores.... My parrots love them too........

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Soil Sciences, man I have been using a rice mix in my composter. I took 10 kilograms of rice, cooked it with normal water then mixed in 3 kilograms of brown sugar and placed that in my Jura 700 that already had plenty material in it. That was great for the beds, naturally I am using ground up coals, perlite and a very rich bog soil dug up my self when I am mixing this stuff up in my half and half ground composter.

Dude if it is cool with you I would like to read your homesteading thread if you have a link.

Nothing wrong with getting disappointed, better than being content with your harvest. For me I am never content, normally I am disappointed as well as excited. Excited because I keep a seasonal log book for my end product and my numbers are always up, disappointed because I would want to do more, share more, trade more and store more.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

With the amount of crops you have planted you'll have to start a stand at the local farmer markets to sell the excess.

Regards + HH

Bill

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have two of these tree on our property here; they grow wild all over though. We do lots of canning in my family, we grow most everything we consume, or we harvest it from the bush, sea or hunt it and trade for other things.

Every year my wife spends about 2 weeks making caned goods from jams, smoked meat patty, cheeses, nut butters, sauces, but also juices as well. She cranks out roughly 3,000 liters of juices in 500 mil bottles.

Pomegranate is the persimmon of the med; really does not matter where you go you will always find it. Taste really good to.

can I borrow your wife for a couple weeks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread