Folks, A thread for foods that are good for you....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

I got the idea for this thread courtesy of deepseeker when he posted up the benefits of pomegranates.

Here's one most people are aware of garlic lots of healthy benefits for using this in your diet.

Garlic ? don?t think of it as bad breath, think of it as good health! | Your Family's Nutrition | Nestlé Family ME

Feel free to post up your experiences or links as to other foods which are good for you....just make sure no commercial links are involved.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks, An easy recipe to incorporate some garlic in your diet....

Folks,

We had some sweet red peppers in the fridge so I cut them lengthwise and took out the seeds and membranes and roasted in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Put them in a bag to cool down....peeled off the skins and cut in strips, added some freshly squeezed lemon juice, chopped up some garlic and oregano add salt, pepper, olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar.

This type of dish works well during the hot summer months when most people eat a bit lighter.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00927 (640x579).jpg
    DSC00927 (640x579).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 105

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This should be a pretty cool thread; naturally folks eat stuff that they like and that agrees with them. Even without a sound proper nutritionist guiding us, with no way to explain it at all, when it comes down to it each one of us knows our body better than the next person, science just helps us understand why we feel a certain way afterwards.

We grow, hunt, fish and harvest nearly everything we eat, if not we trade for other stuff. It works and that is that.

Peppers are one thing I just do not want to do without and I have plants that are 6 years old in the ground. Tomatoes are another that I have but with plants that are 11 years old. Garlic we grow because we eat lots of it, but we grow that on the perimeter beds with the lavender, oregano, rosemary and sage. The mix between them puts something off that repeals mosquito's and being in Italy they are worse than at our ranch in Mexico.

But we also use lots of fungi, mushrooms and barks as well. Used for tea, soups, seasoning or cuts; why not, better than paying for it in the stores.

A friend of mine has a cocoa tree in her atrium at her house in southern France; she saves the pods that come off it for me. I germinate these and get about 40 bucks a pop for them, I normally get about 90 pods a year from her and each one is good for a healthy 25 trees on average that I can germinate. Recently I was lucky enough to work a trade for 200 kilograms of kiwi fruit from 45 six month old trees.

We do lots of canning, haring and bottle.

Coffee is another shrub I would not want to go without. I only get an average of about 12 kilograms a year from mine but it is better than nothing.

Oils are another thing I like to trade for as well, mainly seal because my wife likes to make soap and creams. I have a friend up in Norway who hooks me up pretty good each year when I head up for a week to work our little claim up there. I stop off in Sweden on the way there and harvest as much Chaga as I can find, trade a little of that to my friend for a little 3 liter barrel of oil he harvested.

But also Avocado and olive oil is another thing. My olive trees are only about 500-600 years old and I only have 5 on the property, so that is for food, but I know someone who likes to trade yellow fin tuna for olive oil. That is what his farm produces and 100 kilograms in yellow fin brings me home 100 liters of oil. Avocado tree I have just sucks at best, so I have to trade for that fruit and the oil as well but I know someone for that too, and she takes shrimp, crab, lobster and Mahi Mahi; her farm is a new source I got from the fishery and it has really paid off well.

I also like to grow my own chew, buying it is too much, besides some store bought Redman has like 3 milligrams of nic in it, home grown has like 60 milligrams. I can eat 3 bags of redman in a day or just an ounce or two of homegrown.

Then of course there are those plants in the bush we all walk by daily; most would not be able to name half of them, but if you can and if they are part of your daily diet then that saves money to. Like Wormwood, I drink this daily mixed in with my chaga coffee mix, it grows all over but if you buy it it cost too much to want to spend.

Back when I first stated working here for this agency I ended up having a pretty bad day. Landed me in the hospital for 50 days; the dotcor said that my health seemed to be getting worse off. I told him it was their foods here and had my wife start bringing in all that I eat and drink. 2 weeks later the doctor ran some more bllod work and said he thought I was just having baseless complaints like so many others and asked me for a list of my daily intake and how it is prepared.

He asked if it was researched and adopted, and I said no, that I was no sure what most of it did, that it is just how I grew up. He said that he had to look up like 7 things.

I think that one of the greatest books someone could have that enjoys a healthy life is the PDR for Herbal Medicine. Not only can you stay away from antibiotics more so than most, but you can mix and blend many things for seasoning, but also you can make little things that will bring someone harm, like an HR Manager who is a total ****. To have a terrorist face to face tell you that you give them the shiiits is a nice feeling, but to have an HR Manager tell you that really makes you feel good about your skill and craft. LOL

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

Good post....you are fortunate compared to most that you manage to grow or barter much of what you consume.

It's pretty obvious most of the highly processed foods are what makes most people sick....sticking to a whole food diet as much is possible is the way to go.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob,

Good post....you are fortunate compared to most that you manage to grow or barter much of what you consume.

It's pretty obvious most of the highly processed foods are what makes most people sick....sticking to a whole food diet as much is possible is the way to go.

Regards + HH

Bill

I think that many could grow their own, perhaps not in the amount needed but they could still grow, bush harvest, fish or hunt. I think one of the biggest reasons is that people do not know how to.

Then you have people who will check out a video on how to grown something, but then every video they find has people showing them how to use chemicals, the same stuff they are wanting to get away from.

Soil is key and that is where people should start, with making their own soil in small batches, then using it to grow something. Even if they are just going to raise a single pepper plant and a tomato plant, that is all you need to start with, they will stay alive under proper care.

My tomato plants are old and stand a good 7 foot tall with stalks like a small tree. One of those alone gives use about 30 kilograms a year.

Another big issue in not knowing is not knowing how to store it and preserve it properly. Plenty of folks know how to grow and have lost of space but no clue as to how to store it, prep it or preserve it. Heck I did not know that you could buy small flow mills until about 12 years ago my self; after that it was game over man, all the spelt and rye I wanted. We even store our premixed breads in jars, marked with what bread or tortilla it will make, how much water to add, and or oil.

When it is said and done, it is all fast food. Most of our prep is done at the preserving stage from meats, spices, teas, coffee or whatever we can or bottle.

Trading I was just happy to fall into; that is something I was used to growing up in south Texas on a large ranch. Our beach house in Italy was and is a major farming, ranching and fishing area before the tourist stuff took root. Finding folks to make trade took a little time but man when folks know you trade then your name is added to that short list of people to call and for what.

I have a friend u in Sweden who is retired military, he has a little farm, mostly everything he needs to live really, nothing for profit. But he has some sheep and goats and he recently got into making string just because he traded someone an AK47 for this odd looking machine that takes in the wool and spits out string. He get like 10 bucks per 100 gram of string for that stuff. He actually blew off his claim up in Lapland because he got his hands on way too much wool and said he would make more from that than prospecting a site he has not been to yet. Crazy. Heck he purchased his Chevy truck new with money he got from Chaga, selling it to German stores.

He was with us in Austria over Christmas and he was telling us that the last time he touched his retirement check was back in 2002, that he has not had a need to touch that money at all since then. He makes lots of trades, does lots of fishing and hunting, has his gold sites and string.

For Christmas we gave him a Slovakian made flower mill. he sent us pictures in spring. He put in 5 acres of raised beds for rye and spelt. I could only laugh because come harvest time he is going to hate doing all that by hand.

You do not really need money to live this way, just knowledge and a good foundation of people to trade with and many other resources to hunt fish and wild harvest. You have all that, and the money will roll in and your health will get much better.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Here's a video of a farm near me who does permaculture growing....pretty neat the way this guy grows his crops.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pushin 70 and daily meals consist of Swanson TV Dinners or mexican food at the local greasy spoon. I've never been much of a cook or food preparer. Got an email today from Porter Loring Mortuary here, saying it's about time and that I needed to make funeral preparations today. Maybe I will try some of that stuff...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Austin,

Never to late to prepare some food from scratch.....pretty much all the recipes you need for any ingredient is on the internet.

Give it a try forgetting the possible health benefits the food you do from scratch just tastes better.

Regards + HH

Bill

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know. The greasy spoon is just a couple of blocks away and the latina waitresses are all HOT...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pushin 70 and daily meals consist of Swanson TV Dinners or mexican food at the local greasy spoon. I've never been much of a cook or food preparer. Got an email today from Porter Loring Mortuary here, saying it's about time and that I needed to make funeral preparations today. Maybe I will try some of that stuff...

Porter Loring has always been that way; fast to remind folks of certain death.

Just take in more hot sauce and more waitresses. ts just an estimate but I would figure a man your age should be taking on about 3 waitresses a day, but if you can handle more then go for it; its all about health foods here man.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info here.Thanks bill for starting this thread I have learned alot from the post.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddjob,
I would love to see your garden.I find it amazeing of all the things you grow and can.My wife and I have a little vegtable garden and we can as well.Thanks for your post also.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digzit2,

No problem I'll be adding to the thread as and when I get a new ideas with appropriate link with backup info.

Regards + HH

Bill

Great info here.Thanks bill for starting this thread I have learned alot from the post.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dandelion does not taste so bad, I like mine with avocado and oranges.

another good one is thistle, first you can soak the leaves in normal rubbing alcohol and let it stand. Then if you have an infected cut one wipe with that stuff and it will clean up fast.

But also thistle taste great when it is finely chopped up in a meat loaf or with some horse meat in a frikadella. No matter what meat yu use it in you will want to make sure it is cooked, eating that raw is a bad idea, unless you are making feta (sheep cheese) then you can add that in raw.

I wish I had links for half this stuff so I could post it; all my stuff comes out of books like the PDR or just from normal use.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Our first batch of beans from the garden....steam them first then sauteed in a pan with butter with salt, pepper and sprinkled some fresh parsley when done.

Most of our sauteing is done with olive oil but once in awhile we indulge ourselves....we probably went through 1 lb of butter per week years ago and now it last us probably 1 month so were not doing to badly.

I'll be posting up some links shortly of the benefits of some common herbs that we all use or can use.

Regards + HH

Bill

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob,

Thistle is a new one for me so thanks for cluing us in....here's a link showing the health benefits of this plant.

https://draxe.com/milk-thistle-benefits/

Regards + HH

Bill

That sums it up pretty good; the PDR goes much deeper of course but links like that make it very easy for people to understand how it can help. In the PDR it mentions all the good, but also how not to use it, how it taste and any side affects as well.

Thanks for the link

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread