6 days since L4/L5 Fusion Surgery

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Needless to say this back surgery has me down and out. I'm so uncomfortable and grumpy from the pain it is killing me. Boredom is also very hard to deal with right now.

Doc says 3-12 months recovery. Someone who has been through this please tell me that is a super conservative estimate.

Killing me to not be out while everyone keeps posting up awesome finds.

I am looking for input on modifying a personal scooter so I can get back out, with digging help from friends and family of course!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Staples and stitches come out tomorrow. So damn depressed right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
A surgeon once told me I'd be on crutches/in a cast for a MINIMUM of 6 months!. Six weeks later I was free as a bird. ...But then, I was also a teenager! :tongue3:

At least you have internet friends. There was no such thing as personal computers or the internet back then.

Try watching Lassie re-runs. That ought to bore you to sleep for most of the time. :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A surgeon once told me I'd be on crutches/in a cast for a MINIMUM of 6 months!. Six weeks later I was free as a bird. ...But then, I was also a teenager! :tongue3:

At least you have internet friends. There was no such thing as personal computers or the internet back then.

Try watching Lassie re-runs. That ought to bore you to sleep for most of the time. :laughing7:

jwp,
Hang in there;I'm dealing with the pains of 76 years of living, including the lumbar situation.
You're not alone.
Don......

Thank you for the input guys! I appreciate it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When you have "life challenges" like this, it CAN change your "goals", etc. For YOU, it may not be "on the ground" search; you CAN do R & I (Research & Investigation) on your computer on Treasures in Tennessee & near-by states to share with TRUSTED friends & associates (for a "share" of any "finds"). HH! Good Luck! SOME terrains are NOT accessible...

OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any UP-DATE...? How ya doing...?

Thanks for checking in. About 6 weeks into healing. Feel pretty good and even got out to swing for an hour. Hunting buddy did my digging. Bending twisting a no go. Follow up with surgeon on 21st to see where I am in terms of healing. Unfortunately I have numbness and tingling in left leg and foot so that probably isn't good.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I know exactly what your dealing with. Over 1/2 of my spine is metal or has metal in it including a metal plate in my neck to hold my upright. I have had 10 Surgeries and I've been Paralyzed from my waist down 17X. Here are a few pointers ok. First is DO NOT do anything you don't feel up to doing.Don't push it. Second is, find a hobby you can do from the house. Otherwise you will go nuts. Go out for walks. I don't care if it is only a 15 minute walk. Pace yourself when doing it. Chose a certain landmark or distance and try to reach those targets as much as possible ok. Don't over do it. As time passes you will notice that you can walk farther than before. That's a good feeling for sure. Do NOT sit around the house. Even just sitting on your stairs is good. Sit back & relax ok. Stay in touch with the things you like. Don't withdraw away from those things ok. Go to the park and watch the games or to the beaches and either take a stroll or just go to relax.
They sell a heat pad called either CuraHeat or BodiHeat. One is made by CVS and the other is Rite Aid Pharmacies. If you put them on at supper time they will still be warm the next morning ok. The thing is they are the cheapest ones out there but they DO work like Champions ok. I swear by them. If they work for me they will definitely work for you ok. They are blessed relief.
Lastly, If you start getting pain in your groin area get to your doctor NOW ok. You feel like your getting whacked there 24/7. It hurts bad ok. I wish you the best of luck. If you want to talk to me just PM me ok. I'll be glad to help ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I know exactly what your dealing with. Over 1/2 of my spine is metal or has metal in it including a metal plate in my neck to hold my upright. I have had 10 Surgeries and I've been Paralyzed from my waist down 17X. Here are a few pointers ok. First is DO NOT do anything you don't feel up to doing.Don't push it. Second is, find a hobby you can do from the house. Otherwise you will go nuts. Go out for walks. I don't care if it is only a 15 minute walk. Pace yourself when doing it. Chose a certain landmark or distance and try to reach those targets as much as possible ok. Don't over do it. As time passes you will notice that you can walk farther than before. That's a good feeling for sure. Do NOT sit around the house. Even just sitting on your stairs is good. Sit back & relax ok. Stay in touch with the things you like. Don't withdraw away from those things ok. Go to the park and watch the games or to the beaches and either take a stroll or just go to relax.
They sell a heat pad called either CuraHeat or BodiHeat. One is made by CVS and the other is Rite Aid Pharmacies. If you put them on at supper time they will still be warm the next morning ok. The thing is they are the cheapest ones out there but they DO work like Champions ok. I swear by them. If they work for me they will definitely work for you ok. They are blessed relief.
Lastly, If you start getting pain in your groin area get to your doctor NOW ok. You feel like your getting whacked there 24/7. It hurts bad ok. I wish you the best of luck. If you want to talk to me just PM me ok. I'll be glad to help ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for the tips. This was only my second back surgery so I lack your experience, lol. I do now have a little titanium. Trying very hard to override my desire to do a bunch of stuff I shouldn't.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another hint. Wife had two fused then they went back took everything out and fused three. She went for a checkup and next thing she knew she had a raging infection! The docs told us sometimes the prosthetics attract infections real bad, "Have a real affinity to the prosthetics". So please make sure you have the docs keep up on your antibiotics! She had a line straight to her heart. Used to tell her stuff like "now for the vodka" & "Aren't you glad I'm not pissed at you". Like the others have said, don't push it & watch out for the boredom.

Hope yours comes out good and you're out swingin again!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit your local banks and buy all the halves looking for silver, also dime rolls. crw equals customer wrapped rolls.took me a little while to figure out what the coin guys were talking about, I did it in my area and got enough to buy a snug top for my nissan truck.Check out the forum coin roll hunting you don't lose $doing it you just return what isn't silver.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am only 35 and it took 3 surgeries before they got it right lol

I had 2 micro disectomies to remove the herniation and then the third was a fusion of l5 - s1

I went back to work after 17 days. And have about 80% pain relief. Still have bad days here and there. And I am constantly pulling muscles in my upper back but other than that I fell lucky to be where I am at

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Doctors wanted to sever the nerves in my neck, but I was too afraid. How would I know if I'm over-doing things if I can't feel the pain?

I hope they've gotten better since then, as this was quite a few years ago.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys; Don't worry. Boredom is Natural. If you were NOT fighting it then I'd be worried because that means you have given up and THAT is NOT a good place to be for sure. Trust me. This is one experience you don't want to compete in ok. :laughing7: I "HAVE" been through it ALL. I take 53 pills a day total over 3X a day. No fun ok. If you start feeling any burning or numbness get to the ER "NOW" ok. Don't play the tough guy act. This is one scene you don't want to be in. Don't try to play the tough guy ok. Also if you see Redness or swelling go straight in ok. This is nothing to fool with ok. If you want to talk you can PM me or email me [email protected] ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread