Exactly what to do if you get a tick bite

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly what to do if you get a tick bite | Fox News

By Lisa Haney
Published July 07, 2017

Just found a tick on your skin? Don't panic. It usually takes about 36 hours for it to adhere, feed, and transfer the bacteria that causes Lyme disease. Meaning: If you remove it during that period, it likely hasn't had a chance to infect you. Here's how to get that sucker off safely and what to do next.

REMOVE

Using fine-tipped tweezers, grab the tick as close as you can to where it's attached to your skin and pull directly upward with even pressure. Twisting or jerking can cause the mouthparts to break off and remain in the skin. (If any mouthparts are left behind, leave them alone; they're icky but harmless, and like a splinter, they'll work their way out on their own.) Disinfect the bite and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water.

CHECK

If you find one tick, you may have more, so do a full-body exam. Use a handheld or full-length mirror, paying attention to the back of your knees, scalp, armpits, and even between your butt cheeks and genitals.

OPTIONAL: CONFIRM

Take a picture and upload it to the University of Rhode Island's TickSpotters.org, especially if it looks like the tick had time to feed. In about 24 hours, their pros will reply (at no cost), identifying your tick, and based on your location, assess the riskiness of your bite. For extra assurance, attach the tick to an index card with clear tape, or submerse it in rubbing alcohol to kill it, then place into a sealed plastic baggie. Mail it to TickReport, a nonprofit organization at UMass Amherst. For about $50, they'll test your tick and e-mail you a report within three business days about any bacteria and viruses it's carrying. If either test suggests Lyme, get to your doctor ASAP.

MONITOR

Rash or flu-like symptoms—low-grade fever, aches, chills, and fatigue—can occur up to a month after being bitten. If you feel them, hightail it to your doc, even if you just know you may have been exposed but don't remember being bitten (70 percent of people with Lyme don't). An M.D. can do a visual exam or blood test to check for the disease. It can take a few weeks for the illness to show up in your blood, so if you test negative and still feel sick, consider retesting or a second opinion.

YOU GOT LYME. NOW WHAT?

Most people recover with a course of antibiotics (the sooner you take them, the better). But up to 20 percent of patients have lingering issues like fatigue and muscle and joint pain that can last for six months or longer, a condition called post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome (PTLDS). Experts aren't sure what causes PTLDS, but if you have been treated and still feel unwell, see your M.D., who can prescribe meds and behavioral therapies to help you cope.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New data suggest that the 36 hour rule to be false. That not only can and very often does happen much much sooner. Also many other diseases that ticks also carry to watch out for besides lymes

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The first year here up the holler, I had 19 bites. I went to my doctor about those.

The second year here, I had 5 or 6.

This year I've only had two so far - I check myself regularly, and "tickle" gets an inspection. Most of my bites have been in my genital area, I guess they like the tender flesh up there!

I've cut way down as you can see by using "Off" tick repellent on my boots and bottom of my jeans. That's where they get me the most, though probably a few have come from walking through brush and low hanging limbs.

I have learned that if I don't find them until "later", the bite becomes a nasty welt that swells and itches fiercely.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also using permethrin to treat designated detecting clothes is very very effective against ticks

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Over the last decade the tick population has bloomed in Eastern Ontario through the 1000 Islands area and on many islands. Known lots of folks that are messed up really bad, and will never be the same. Also dogs suffer from the tick bites that carry Lyme, they get like an MS symptoms and are really handicapped after.
Tucking pants into socks, wearing light clothing, checking the body everyday from toes to hair on the head is the only way to prevent getting it they claim. Had a few on us again this past year, but better than the previous years though and the reason might be because of the wet year we had, so not much playing in the woods.
I like the fact that you are able to get a tick examined and get a reply. We can get this done also in Canada and it takes 3-6 months if one is lucky to get a reply! Talk about messed up-they are just now putting $$$ towards the getting the message out about Lyme up here after a huge response from thousands of folks.
The messages that we get are so mixed up, one health dept. says do this and another says that. Most Dr. look at a Lyme victim like they have one eye planted in the middle of the forehead. So we have a long ways to go, and only because of the southern efforts and knowledge we are struggling forth. That I thank you all for that knowledge-but you could take it a step further and just take hte ticks back, I have no problem with that one. :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two tick bites in the last 15 years. Have found about 5 others before they were able to bite. One tried to bite me and died after he took a sip. I found it dead, not engorged and semi hanging on. That was odd. They don't seem to like me. I don't know why. I guess I"m toxic.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is Gary,getting near that time of season too.
Well then i stocking up on that Stevia extract ..better than bad old sugar.
I see ticks all the time maybe Stevia keeps them off me !
Gary

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just this morning my son called me and told me he woke with a bad pain in his hip in the shower he found a big fat TIC in his hip and a large red circle , he was walking the dog in the high grass yesterday . I told him to get to the doctor ASAP...haven't heard back from him yet . I have a good friend right over the border in Canada that has paid hell with lyme and is very sick from it . they have a big yard and is LOADED with tic's and can't buy the poison to kill them not allowed to use in Canada . it took years before canadian doctors even ADMIT lyme exists. this disease is no joke..

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill
Get him on the Stevia in the sugar isle at any Tops food store !
Comes in little packets like sugar...i`m gonna start eating a packet every nite.
That red circle is bad !

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
just this morning my son called me and told me he woke with a bad pain in his hip in the shower he found a big fat TIC in his hip and a large red circle , he was walking the dog in the high grass yesterday . I told him to get to the doctor ASAP...haven't heard back from him yet . I have a good friend right over the border in Canada that has paid hell with lyme and is very sick from it . they have a big yard and is LOADED with tic's and can't buy the poison to kill them not allowed to use in Canada . it took years before canadian doctors even ADMIT lyme exists. this disease is no joke..

VERY misdiagnosed too.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary , I will contact him and tell him about STEVIA . I sure am glad i'm on Tnet to i wouldn't have learned about it . hopfully it will save him alot of grief......WOW..THANK YOU GARY !!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill
It is great timing for you and your son !
I did not know how it worked against the Lime Disease i just use it as a sugar substitute.
Chris "Worldtalker" is the one to thank.
Anyways i pray for your son !
We should All be on the stuff !
Gary

Last edited:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great article!i!!, I was Gary's hunting partner for a couple of years before I contracted lyme. I have now tested positive for 3.5 years with severe lyme that came very close to killing me (heart block which threw my heart out of rythem). I have literally spent a thousand hours scouring the web for any help and purchased books looking for cures. The Doctors in my area are very ignorant of the disease, but not ignorant when it comes to billing for treatment. To date I have spent $14,000+ from pocket for treatments and drugs (doxy, beta blocker, nitro, blood pressure and others). I am now doing all natural supplements for treatment and have been since October 2017 and doing 100% better than I was with the drugs.

I will be sure to be adding Stevia to my list of intake. Thank you all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions